Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 07:32 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,750,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
You always need alone time to your husband and you. While i take my kids go with my most places i don't think never having couple time is healthy. Very often couples who put kids first and themselves a very distant third that don't survive when the babies leave the nest.
We get plenty of couple time on vacation, the kids go to bed by 8pm and then it's just us. Which suits us fine! We aren't the type to go out drinking and partying at home so we wouldn't do it on vacation either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 08:37 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
It's easy to get couple time on a vacation! They have babysitters everywhere, and besides, babies go to sleep early. I would certainly agree that having couple time is healthy, but I think it's equally healthy for a relationship and a family to also be able to experience travel together, too. Traveling with kids gives you new insights into places and different experiences than you'd have if you went as a couple. Besides, I think there's a difference between taking a long romantic couples weekend when you have a baby (and this is a very young baby) and a nine day vacation. Nine days is a long time to be away from a baby that young, and while I don't think the baby will be harmed or negatively impacted in any way from the separation, I think that many parents would be unhappy enough that it would impair the enjoyment of their vacation. And since presumably relaxation and fun are the point of the whole thing, I'd just take the baby along on this one, enjoy an equally fun but slightly different type of trip, and plan a couples weekend sometime in the future.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:53 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,313,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
My GF and I planned to go to Hawaii during Holidays for a nine days trip.

We chose Hawaii because it seemed like a safer destination than the Carabeans for the baby (5 month old).

But the more we look into it, the worse our idea sounds. Back in October when we signed that last minute deal, we didn't know much about Hawaii and we assumed our little angelic baby would sleep soundly on the plane.

Fast forward today, the baby is pretty high maintenance. The multiple take offs and landings will probably be hell. Plus, the more we read on the area we're visiting, the more we see that most activities are not recommended for children.

My mother, out of nowhere, offered to babysit the baby. She's been with him for the first two months of his life when my GF recovered from her c-section. I have zero worries that she would take great care of him.

What I wonder if the baby, at 5 months old, would suffer from separation anxiety or if he would not even care at all.

Would you do it?

We did that very thing when our child was a one year old.
It worked out perfectly, and we had some much needed RARE time alone together.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:08 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,860,950 times
If you won't worry too much about the baby I say GO and enjoy being with each other. It's just as important to our family if we as parents are happy and well adjusted and stay in love with our partners as it is to love our kids.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:21 AM

155 posts, read 125,713 times
We had plans to go to Aruba when our daughter was about a year and a half old. HA! I bailed at the last minute, and the other couple wasn't too thrilled. Oh well....we were happy.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:05 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,385,385 times
I would do a a dry run first. Have your mom come over and watch the baby for a day to make sure they are comfortable with each other. Also, I would have her come to your house during the trip so your baby is most comfortable.

I don't think the baby will remember that you left him for 9 days and separation anxiety hasn't kicked in yet. But you and your girlfriend may miss him terribly.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:42 PM

556 posts, read 798,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I'm not bitter over any of the decisions they make. But I do feel vastly superior, as a mother. I also think that's why she's spends so much time insulting us - she KNOWS we're better parents. She receives an annual check from the government, over and above what she pays in (this makes it welfare) BECAUSE of the children. I feel sorry for her boys, but glad for them that finally they'll be living with people that care about THEM, not just getting AWAY from them.

Some posters are missing that this is a five MONTH old child that has already spent extensive time away from it's 'parents'. Not a 5 year old that they need time away from.

But as I said, the OP will do as they feel is best and it will be indicative of the choices they make later. I'm sure that the baby will survive. Sounds like it has an EXCELLENT grandma.

Again, EIC is NOT welfare. Welfare is welfare.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:08 PM

466 posts, read 816,008 times
I went to New York on a four-day girls trip to New York City back in April when my son was 5 months old and had a blast. I called once a day and was ready to see him at the end, but I wasn't a nervous wreck constantly worried about him. My friend has a 2-year-old and left him for the first time at the end of the summer for a three-day girls trip in the mountains about 90 minutes from here. Apparently she could hardly enjoy herself and was on the phone constantly. Clearly, we have different views on being away from our children - one isn't better or worse than the other.

To me, it's not much of a vacation traveling with a baby. In and out of restaurants, time-zone changes, fussiness, ick. How does your girlfriend feel? Also, are you staying at a hotel that provides babysitting? If so, it might be worth it to bring the baby, only because nine days is such a long. But I wouldn't want to worry about trying to find a sitter on my own while I'm on vacation.

It's a tough call. I would be more up for going than my husband probably would be. LOL

Old 12-06-2010, 03:27 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
This is a value judgement. So, in the end, you need to do what is best for yourself. I am an advocate of parents getting away, and having time for themselves to be together. The baby will be fine, he won't miss you at all..sorry, it is true. He will be well taken care of. Enjoy your trip.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:52 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,555,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
My GF and I planned to go to Hawaii during Holidays for a nine days trip.

We chose Hawaii because it seemed like a safer destination than the Carabeans for the baby (5 month old).

But the more we look into it, the worse our idea sounds. Back in October when we signed that last minute deal, we didn't know much about Hawaii and we assumed our little angelic baby would sleep soundly on the plane.

Fast forward today, the baby is pretty high maintenance. The multiple take offs and landings will probably be hell. Plus, the more we read on the area we're visiting, the more we see that most activities are not recommended for children.

My mother, out of nowhere, offered to babysit the baby. She's been with him for the first two months of his life when my GF recovered from her c-section. I have zero worries that she would take great care of him.

What I wonder if the baby, at 5 months old, would suffer from separation anxiety or if he would not even care at all.

Would you do it?
My wife and I are old fashion and we went with our babies everywhere we went for trips. We saw it as our responsibility and we could not ever leave our babies behind with anyone. We could not be without them. We simply agreed to put up with the problems associated with having them with us on trips. We came up with ways to enjoy our trips and still be with our babies, take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting