Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 01:59 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
To me a vacation is a place without the kids sorry. Going with small children is never a relaxing experience if you ask me. As they get older and everyone can enjoy doing their things then i agree it is one. But when parents take kids on vacations that won't create memories for them they are doing it for themselves and not the children.
I don't really understand this sentiment. I can understand wanting some time away from kids sometimes, but not that it isn't a vacation if kids are with you. That to me is just as weird as saying that it wouldn't be a vacation unless I went without my husband, so I only go on girls' weekends with friends. There are lots of different ways to have nice breaks and vacations, and some of us prefer going with our children as a family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 02:01 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I don't really understand this sentiment. I can understand wanting some time away from kids sometimes, but not that it isn't a vacation if kids are with you. That to me is just as weird as saying that it wouldn't be a vacation unless I went without my husband, so I only go on girls' weekends with friends. There are lots of different ways to have nice breaks and vacations, and some of us prefer going with our children as a family.

With small children i said. As they get older they are a tad less dependent on you and can enjoy the trip more and it is then a vacation. But when we went on vacation when our kids were 3 3 and 1 it was pure misery.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:07 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,742 times
Quote:
In general most people don't tend to remember the earliest part of their live...and at most you remember bits and pieces. While yes the child does enjoy themselves at that age they enjoy sticking their foot in their mouth just as much. I love my kids but i go away several times a year without them and they aren't exhibiting any scars from it. In the end i don't see what the big deal is in leaving your children home during a vacation. All around the world people do this and only in America is it considered a huge deal.
I never said it was a big deal to leave my child behind. While I have enjoyed alone time w/ my husband, most vacations we have chosen to take her. She may not remember everything, but those moments for us were priceless, and she has enjoyed looking back on our trips over and over.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
I never said it was a big deal to leave my child behind. While I have enjoyed alone time w/ my husband, most vacations we have chosen to take her. She may not remember everything, but those moments for us were priceless, and she has enjoyed looking back on our trips over and over.

Heh yeah the moments i had with my kids at that age on vacation were priceless too...and not in a good way either .

Old 12-04-2010, 02:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Such extremes! It's not as if the OP said "we planned a 9-day vacation without our baby and plan to do so on a regular basis." It was bad planning. It was lack of foresight. It will not forever scar the child. The baby will probably be much happier keeping it's normal schedule then it would be changing time zones, trying to sleep in an unfamiliar place, being hauled to restaurants every day, etc. I have taken a "vacation" exactly 3 times in the past 7 years I've been a parent. 2 were long weekends. One was 6 days. My youngest was only 6 months old for that one. It is not something I take lightly. I hardly ever do it. But I think those of you saying "no way" are way off base.

ETA we take vacations with our kids every year. I mean that we've only gone without them 3 times.

Last edited by Kibbiekat; 12-04-2010 at 02:21 PM..

Old 12-04-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Such extremes! It's not as if the OP said "we planned a 9-day vacation without our baby and plan to do so on a regular basis." It was bad planning. It was lack of foresight. It will not forever scar the child. The baby will probably be much happier keeping it's normal schedule then it would be changing time zones, trying to sleep in an unfamiliar place, being hauled to restaurants every day, etc. I have taken a "vacation" exactly 3 times in the past 7 years I've been a parent. 2 were long weekends. One was 6 days. My youngest was only 6 months old for that one. It is not something I take lightly. I hardly ever do it. But I think those of you saying "no way" are way off base.

And so what if she did? I don't see anything wrong with taking vacations for yourselves.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:16 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,742 times
Quote:
Heh yeah the moments i had with my kids at that age on vacation were priceless too...and not in a good way either .
Sorry to hear that. Maybe it was easier for us because we only have the one. I do know that our 2-3 wk family trip every year w/ my parents was hardly priceless w/ 3 kids always fighting over the window seats.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:35 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times
Quote:
To me a vacation is a place without the kids sorry. Going with small children is never a relaxing experience if you ask me. As they get older and everyone can enjoy doing their things then i agree it is one. But when parents take kids on vacations that won't create memories for them they are doing it for themselves and not the children.
Many of us obviously don't feel that way about out children. Our kids go with us pretty much everywhere we go,so they've learned how to behave while in public, while traveling and such. It's very rare that times spent out with them are anything but pleasurable and fun.

When they are all grown and gone we will go back to doing adult things only, but while they are dependent on us they are a connected part of the family and I simply don't choose to leave them behind.

They may not remember all the specifics of where they were or what they did, but they most certainly can tell you they felt included, safe, entertained and had a lovely family time together. That's an important part of childhood to me.

You feel differently for different reasons.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
And so what if she did? I don't see anything wrong with taking vacations for yourselves.
It seems like you are trying to make this thread your own thread.

This thread about the OP and what we would do in the specific situation the OP presented.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:13 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Many of us obviously don't feel that way about out children. Our kids go with us pretty much everywhere we go,so they've learned how to behave while in public, while traveling and such. It's very rare that times spent out with them are anything but pleasurable and fun.

When they are all grown and gone we will go back to doing adult things only, but while they are dependent on us they are a connected part of the family and I simply don't choose to leave them behind.

They may not remember all the specifics of where they were or what they did, but they most certainly can tell you they felt included, safe, entertained and had a lovely family time together. That's an important part of childhood to me.

You feel differently for different reasons.
I agree!

Admittedly, I did NOT read through the many pages of this post.
Was it ever mentioned how the baby's mother feels about leaving the baby behind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting