Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 07:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,206,891 times

Advertisements

Tiffany stemware? And you don't know where it came from? How come those things don't happen in my house?

The Denver piece was on ESPN. It wasn't long. I keep seeing small pieces on Tebow being the nicest guy in the NFL. I kind of like having players that aren't famous for getting arrested.

Your DD should have a great time. The BIG heat is probably behind us. Lots to do here. Everyone thinks "desert" but we've also got the high country. Not as high as YOUR country, lol but it's beautiful. And we have some pretty good shopping if she's so inclined. (Scottsdale Fashion Plaza. I window shop a lot, lol.)

Old 07-22-2011, 07:59 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,973,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Two weeks notice is being fair to his boss.

He has a good reason, it's an extra $400 for just the last week, not a sudden trip away with friends.

It might even help him get a summer job at the liquor store next year because he will have proven that he won't just disappear without notice.

He's a great kid for thinking of his boss like that. He could qualify his notice by saying he would stay if needed. I doubt the boss would make him miss this opportunity.
Yeah, I think he believes if he leaves for the golf tournament he'll blow any chance of picking up hours over the Christmas break. Hopefully next year he'll be able to find something full time, so I'm not too worried about him burning that particular bridge.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:03 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,973,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Yes, the SB is nice and cold ...which reminds me...I came home to an empty house but on the dining room table is a good sized blue box with a white ribbon...we all know that one.... it is opened and there is tissue paper strewn about. 2 good sized wine glasses! No idea where this came from or who is delivering stemware from Tiffany's to my home...whoever it is can continue sending it and mosey on over to the jewelry section as long as they're there or ordering....(Although I will say....fragile stemware makes me nervous)
A mystery! I'm with you about delicate crystal. I got a load of Waterford as wedding gifts, and I don't think any of it has ever left the china closet.

I worked for Tiffany several years ago, in the corporate division. They have a company store where they sell excess stock. It made my holiday shopping very easy.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:17 PM

13,445 posts, read 9,968,878 times
Anybody seen nummy lately?

Old 07-22-2011, 08:37 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,478,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Tiffany stemware? And you don't know where it came from? How come those things don't happen in my house?

The Denver piece was on ESPN. It wasn't long. I keep seeing small pieces on Tebow being the nicest guy in the NFL. I kind of like having players that aren't famous for getting arrested. Right there with you on that

Your DD should have a great time. The BIG heat is probably behind us. Lots to do here. Everyone thinks "desert" but we've also got the high country. Not as high as YOUR country, lol but it's beautiful. And we have some pretty good shopping if she's so inclined. (Scottsdale Fashion Plaza. I window shop a lot, lol.)
DD has been know to cross the threshold of a store from time to time...Her cousin just put in a lovely pool last year so I'm guessing she's looking forward to spending some time there...and she said something about dining at The Melting Pot.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
A mystery! I'm with you about delicate crystal. I got a load of Waterford as wedding gifts, and I don't think any of it has ever left the china closet. I have just 2 Waterford wine glasses that DH brought home from Ireland several years ago...at least they're sturdy...these tiny stems are scary! Here they are: Tiffany & Co. | Item | All-purpose red wine glass, handblown. | United States+ Considering most of my stemware comes from the bargain shelf at Crate and Barrel or Cost Plus World Bazaar at $2/each....

I worked for Tiffany several years ago, in the corporate division. They have a company store where they sell excess stock. It made my holiday shopping very easy.
OOoooh...Fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Wasn't she gone on business travel?

Last edited by maciesmom; 07-22-2011 at 08:52 PM..

Old 07-22-2011, 10:14 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,575,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
She and her hubby are working hard and playing harder in Seattle.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:58 PM

970 posts, read 2,214,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Quandary here, as I am not sure I'm giving DS good advice. He had trouble finding a summer job when he came home from school, and finally got a part-time position at the local liquor store (not that I was thrilled). He's been getting about 20 hours a week. He told the owner he could work up until 8/14, when he returned to college. Now he has a great opportunity to work a golf tournament that final week. It's for the same $10.00/hour, but about a 60 hour week. He hasn't been able to put much $$ aside this summer, as his gas costs have eaten up a lot of his paycheck. I told him to take the PGA job, but he asked me if it was fair to his boss. I'm having second thoughts about telling him to quit early.
I think 2 weeks notice is fair, since that is standard business practice. Any sane person understands that things change and I doubt your son has a vital position that the owner cannot fill with someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
As for academy, I am following the advice of TG and TC(the cop/my friend) and I am going to get a little more life experience before I go and save up money so I have something to live off of and will be able to attend academy full time and not part time.

Oh and I am going to start doing crunches.
Life experience doesn't help you get into academy but college work and/or military experience does.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:11 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
As for academy, I am following the advice of TG and TC(the cop/my friend) and I am going to get a little more life experience before I go and save up money so I have something to live off of and will be able to attend academy full time and not part time.

Oh and I am going to start doing crunches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
Life experience doesn't help you get into academy but college work and/or military experience does.
Sounds like her cop/friend thinks she's too immature at this point in her life. Honestly, it sounds like he gave her great advice.

We're all always pushing her to start the academy, but how many of us truly think she's emotionally ready to pursue a career carrying a gun?

Old 07-23-2011, 07:15 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,978,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I don't suppose either of these all-knowing buddies mentioned going to college part-time while you are getting "life experience" and pursuing your career as a retail shirt-folder?
TC says I should spend sometime working/going to college. Moving out of my mom's house and living life as a full adult because he says if I go in to help people with real life issues and I haven't had those issues then how will I know how to deal with them. He thinks I should work, get out of my mom's house, do a bit more college and then go to the academy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Sounds like her cop/friend thinks she's too immature at this point in her life. Honestly, it sounds like he gave her great advice.

We're all always pushing her to start the academy, but how many of us truly think she's emotionally ready to pursue a career carrying a gun?
If another person mentions me not being ready to go to academy and it having to do with carrying a gun, I swear I might just stop coming here.
If there is one thing I DO know, its how serious carrying a gun is.
I would never misuse it, never "play" with it and never use it unjustly.

The ONLY issue here is without life experience and being out in society and knowing how to deal with all sorts of people I am very unrelatable to others.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:00 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,206,891 times
Morning all. MM: Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix is one of the hot spots to eat here. Something for DD to consider. (Martha Stewart gave it rave reviews a couple of years ago.)

DH got up early and grabbed the shopping list and went to the store. Bless him. He's the rare man who likes to shop. So I woke up to a stocked up fridge. Yaaaay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting