Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 11:06 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times

Advertisements

To all of you who want your children "protected", I understand the pain you feel when you see your children going through this. But your goal is to have your child eventually become a fully-functioning, mature, independent adult, right? You really cannot shield them from all the ugliness of the world. It will make their transition to adulthood that much more difficult.

However, I do think we need to clarify. Bullying in 2nd grade isn't the same as bullying in high school. Maybe SOME intervention is needed in younger grades, but older teens really should know how to handle themselves by that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 11:10 AM

81 posts, read 170,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Your expectations are simply unrealistic. You need to teach your kid to take care of himself and therefore you won't be reliant on the non-existent ability of schools to police bullying.
What does 'take care of himself' mean? Put him in a self defense class? Teach him how to have a potty mouth so he can talk back to bullies? What should happen is that all parents SHOULD teach their kids right from wrong, unfortunately this doesn't happen all the time, which is why we end up with bullies at school. I shouldn't have to teach my son to learn to be a 'mini douche-bag'. It's the parents of bullies that are doing something wrong at home, not me because I don't condone violence and verbal abuse.

There should be certain boundaries, and respect expected from all students. It's not unrealistic to expect schools to protect kids from being harmed. I don't want the school to 'raise my kids', just make sure they are not being physically or verbally abused while on school grounds.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:15 AM

81 posts, read 170,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
To all of you who want your children "protected", I understand the pain you feel when you see your children going through this. But your goal is to have your child eventually become a fully-functioning, mature, independent adult, right? You really cannot shield them from all the ugliness of the world. It will make their transition to adulthood that much more difficult.

However, I do think we need to clarify. Bullying in 2nd grade isn't the same as bullying in high school. Maybe SOME intervention is needed in younger grades, but older teens really should know how to handle themselves by that time.

Bullying is wrong in 2nd grade, just as much as it is in the 12th grade. In the real world, do you know what bullying is called? Assault and battery and is punishable by law. Bullies should learn they can't go around 'beating people up', because in the real world, that will get them jail time.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:17 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larachris View Post
What does 'take care of himself' mean? Put him in a self defense class? Teach him how to have a potty mouth so he can talk back to bullies? What should happen is that all parents SHOULD teach their kids right from wrong, unfortunately this doesn't happen all the time, which is why we end up with bullies at school. I shouldn't have to teach my son to learn to be a 'mini douche-bag'. It's the parents of bullies that are doing something wrong at home, not me because I don't condone violence and verbal abuse.

There should be certain boundaries, and respect expected from all students. It's not unrealistic to expect schools to protect kids from being harmed. I don't want the school to 'raise my kids', just make sure they are not being physically or verbally abused while on school grounds.
The problem is what you want can never happen. You can't make other parents raise decent children. You can't expect the school to universally protect your child 100% of the time even on their grounds.

Maybe the only real solution is to teach your child how to handle the bullies. That can involve a host of approaches and yes sometimes even learning to be a mini douche-bg when the situation calls for it.

It's simply not practical to stand back and say I raised my child right, now society you need to also raise your children right and further, you need to protect my child from every kid who isn't raised right. It sounds great in theory, but it simply isn't realistic.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:20 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Bullying is wrong in 2nd grade, just as much as it is in the 12th grade. In the real world, do you know what bullying is called? Assault and battery and is punishable by law. Bullies should learn they can't go around 'beating people up', because in the real world, that will get them jail time.
Bullies will learn not to bully when one of their "victims" hauls off and rearranges their face.

Also, I thought the whole problem these days wasn't physical bullying, but mental bullying. Name calling, gossip, rumors, etc. all fueled in part by how easy it is through the wonders of tehcnology to do it virtually anonymously. You know what name calling, gossip and rumors are called in the real world? Life. Learn to deal with it.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:44 PM

486 posts, read 1,665,982 times
Quote:
What makes you both so confident that sending your kid to a different school is going to make them any less of a target to bullying?

If anything, I think it sends the wrong message that it is OK to run from your problems and there is no need to learn how to handle conflict.
I think after you exhausted every other option (as I mentioned) switching schools is an option. If in trying to deal with it, if it doesn't get better, then you take another path that hopefully gives a fresh start. It's not running away in my opinion if you've exhausted all other options. It's a strategy. You are correct, they may still be a target of bullying, but maybe not. I would take that chance...

Old 03-29-2011, 01:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:

Sadly, this mindset is why bullying is worse these days. Too many parents are encouraging their children to remain victims by thinking their children shouldn't have to learn social skills that help them be empowered. As a result, bullying is increasing because the victims aren't being taught by how to properly deal with bullies.

If you have a child who is a victim of bullying, you're not helping the child by saying "my child shouldn't have to change." Your child could go through live being a victim in other situations, such as work or personal relationships.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
You know what name calling, gossip and rumors are called in the real world? Life. Learn to deal with it.
That's right.

A child does need to learn how to deal with these things or they won't be prepared for later in life.

There are no laws against name calling, gossip and rumors in the adult world.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:56 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times
Quote:
Not true at all. Yes, physically assaulting someone is punishable by law. But what if my "Susie", a co-worker starts some outlandish rumor about me and it gets around the entire building- do you really think that Susie will be arrested for "bullying" me?

The type of bullying the OP is describing is NOT punishable by law. The earlier the kid learns not to be a victim/target, the better off she'll be in the real world.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:59 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
However painful it is to watch ones child being picked on at school, the greatest gift you can give them are the tools to ignore it, or fight back. For those who say this does not exist in adult life, I'd love to know what nirvana you live in, because everywhere that I have lived, even here on this site, there are bullies galore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting