Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2011, 11:36 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times

Advertisements

Before you click it, this video is pretty gay. I thought it was hilarious, though.

‪How to tell your parents you are gay.‬‏ - YouTube

It's kind of amazing, the different ways other cultures celebrate gayness. Or just make it part of their life, and don't freak out over it.
One day, I think it won't matter if you are gay or not....in America.
P.S. The shotgun on the wall is teh LOLz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 11:42 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,583 times
I think you need to just tell them. You are what you are and if they are truly loving parents they are going to find a way to deal with it. I don't care what a persons religion says either. You are a parent and that is YOUR child, plain and simple.

I'm not the most religious person in the world but I am spiritual and I just don't think that God is the bloodthirsty judgemental bastard that most religions make him out to be.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:41 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
I think you need to just tell them. You are what you are and if they are truly loving parents they are going to find a way to deal with it. I don't care what a persons religion says either. You are a parent and that is YOUR child, plain and simple.

I'm not the most religious person in the world but I am spiritual and I just don't think that God is the bloodthirsty judgemental bastard that most religions make him out to be.
If the person is a teenager and their parents are extremely anti-gay, I would not recommend that teen just tells their parents.

They need to have a safety exit plan in place first in case their parents reject them and kick them out - which sadly, happens quite often.

Or worse, the parents could take them to some religious "pray away the gay" type "therapist".

Old 07-16-2011, 11:45 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
If the person is a teenager and their parents are extremely anti-gay, I would not recommend that teen just tells their parents.

They need to have a safety exit plan in place first in case their parents reject them and kick them out - which sadly, happens quite often.

Or worse, the parents could take them to some religious "pray away the gay" type "therapist".
Send them an email with a link to this video?
(I think that would do it )

Old 07-17-2011, 09:17 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Most parents already "know". The issue is if they are ready to accept it. Fathers have a more diffcult issues with sons it seems to me. My son is gay, he never needed to tell us, we knew he was "different" when he played Barbies with his little sister. His brothers were outside burning spiders with magnifyers or whatever, he would stay inside, play the piano, bake cakes on the Easy Bake Oven, and throw elaborate tea parties.

He always had girlfriends in high school, he was more popular than his brothers.

He "announced" his gay preference when he brought a guy to Thanksgiving dinner, he was VERY dramatic about it, ringing his wine glass for attention, he announced to everyone he was gay, and his friend, was really his BF. We were all like, "Okay, whatever". Like we did not already KNOW!!!! But, my son is very flamboyant, over the top gay. Maybe it is more difficult for men who are not so "gay" looking or acting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting