Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:54 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,239,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
As an expectant mother I felt compelled to answer this:

1) I cradle not because I am protecting my child, I cradle because I want the little one to settle its bloody bum down while I am talking on the phone, eating a bbq burger and in general wonder why the flip does it feel the need to kick when I want to relax. It doesn't do any good but hey I can only hope through cradling it will calm down.

....."
Put the head phones on your tummy and turn up the music. Classical to make the kid smart. Head banger if you are wishing for a delinquent.

(joke)

But you may find a particular style of music calms the baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 07:58 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,757,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
Put the head phones on your tummy and turn up the music. Classical to make the kid smart. Head banger if you are wishing for a delinquent.

(joke)

But you may find a particular style of music calms the baby.
We play music all the time, seems to be keen on Trance/House music. Mr. X's genes are all over this one. I have been feeling him/her move in the past week a lot and it loves loves loves BBQ burgers!

Old 08-09-2011, 08:40 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,947,636 times
Never thought about the first one, but it is very weird, almost contortionistic . . .on the second one, I am with you . . . I don't "get" how that got to be ok to say. I think the people who say it actually believe it!!!

No, only the woman gets pregnant (unless you are that pregnant man in Oregon).

Old 08-09-2011, 09:15 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,062,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
First, I want to ask that you please don't take offense to this. There are two things that I want to note here, and maybe you can shed some light on the for me:

I can't STAND it when pregnant women "cradle" their stomach like so....

I mean, WHY do they do this??? Are they afraid that If they don't cradle the stomach, the baby may fall off???

The second thing that I hate, is when pregnant women say " WE'RE pregnant" as if the man or husband is also. Why do they do this?

I personaly, just find both of these two things very annoying.
Seriously I sometimes have to look to make sure the posters are not new because some of these postings are over the top.

busta

Old 08-09-2011, 09:30 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,239,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
First, I want to ask that you please don't take offense to this. There are two things that I want to note here, and maybe you can shed some light on the for me:

I can't STAND it when pregnant women "cradle" their stomach like so....

I mean, WHY do they do this??? Are they afraid that If they don't cradle the stomach, the baby may fall off???

The second thing that I hate, is when pregnant women say " WE'RE pregnant" as if the man or husband is also. Why do they do this?

I personaly, just find both of these two things very annoying.
Is it a slow night for you where you're trying to get some conversation started? I use to cradle my stomach at times, but it was to feel my baby kick. I never stated we were pregnant, but I don't find it as offensive as you do. If it bothers you so much, just stay away from pregnant women.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:53 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,920,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post

No, only the woman gets pregnant (unless you are that pregnant man in Oregon).
Please don't refer to HER as a pregnant man. You can dress a cat up like a dog { bad metaphor } but it's still a cat. That whole thing is a joke. Real MEN don't have vaginas now do they?

Old 08-09-2011, 09:59 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,536,077 times
The OP obviously do not have children so he is just here to stir up trouble. Go back to the religious forum where you usually hang out.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:06 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,207,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
1. Don't care. Maybe it's comforting - over to you girls.
2. Don't care. Each to their own, but when she is pushing it out, you can be darn sure that it's not 'we'
LOL! I love you, Aidxen!

My two cents:
1. There are lots of reasons for this. Sometimes, especially if you're lugging around a dozen or so pounds of twins, it feels like it will fall off. Sometimes it calms the little guys down. Sometimes it feels good. sometimes you just don't have anything better to do with your hands. And it's really good when you're in one of those touchy feely churches and don't want to hug strangers.
2. Not my favorite phrase. FTR, I've almost always heard it from first-time moms, to whom I give a pass on a lot of silliness because...well...they're just so goshdarn earnest.
3. Definitely trance music. And for some weird reason, Benedictine chant.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:55 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,844,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
The OP obviously do not have children so he is just here to stir up trouble. Go back to the religious forum where you usually hang out.
The OP's children, or lack thereof, has nothing to do with the OP's showing up to stir up trouble. Implying that someone who only comes here to stir up trouble is caused by the fact that they don't have kids, is insulting to those of us who come here to participate productively, and don't have kids.

My two cents:

Some mothers (as mentioned previously) really do want that support beneath their bulging bellies and cradle for the same reason that some large-breated women prefer to wear a bra. There can be a couple dozen pounds in that little space, between baby, placenta, and fluids. That's a lot of weight to bulge out under the ribcage and over the groin muscles. A low-rise girdle would just push on the bladder, which is the last thing a pregnant woman needs. A high-rise girdle just isn't an option. Maybe someone can invent "belly-sling suspenders" to alleviate the problem.

Or, a mom can suspend her own belly for free by simply holding her hand underneath it. I think it's kind of cute.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:05 AM

160 posts, read 295,691 times
It's not that I can't stand it and it's not just about expectant mothers, but it's hard to watch your good friends who are intelligent and interesting be reduced to talking about the same mindless, boring, cliched baby crap that everyone else talks about. What I don't like about new parents is that they become REALLY BORING to the rest of us childless folk, unless of course they're family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting