Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 08:46 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times

Advertisements

OP, the following reminded me a bit of what you're talking about:
Kempt - The Phone Stack

But I agree with the other posters saying one never knows from a snippet of behavior what is going on with a stranger. I was on call at my old job, needing to return communication from clients within 15 minutes of receiving it. When a group of my colleagues and I would go out, I'm sure we looked like we were glued to our phones at times, though for "responsible" reasons, not being addicted to being connected. Ya never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 08:57 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
OP, the following reminded me a bit of what you're talking about:
Kempt - The Phone Stack

But I agree with the other posters saying one never knows from a snippet of behavior what is going on with a stranger. I was on call at my old job, needing to return communication from clients within 15 minutes of receiving it. When a group of my colleagues and I would go out, I'm sure we looked like we were glued to our phones at times, though for "responsible" reasons, not being addicted to being connected. Ya never know.
My husband and I went to our son's football game, which was about 3 hours away this fall. My father stayed at our home to watch my younger kids, who had other things that night. While we were at the game an announcement was made that the game was being broadcast on the internet. As soon as the announcement was made every single parent on our sideline was texting the website to someone (grandparents, siblings, neighbors, etc.). The headmaster of the school we were playing had been giving our headmaster a tour of the campus and they returned to the sideline as we were all texting home. Since he had been conversing he did not hear the announcement. He asked us "Why did you drive 3 hours to see your kids play if you were going to all be in the stands texting"? We explained that we were all texting the website to someone at home and then he laughed.

You just can't tell by looking at people at a moment in time.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:31 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
He asked us "Why did you drive 3 hours to see your kids play if you were going to all be in the stands texting"? We explained that we were all texting the website to someone at home and then he laughed.

You just can't tell by looking at people at a moment in time.
Oh, that's funny!

Old 01-08-2012, 10:03 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,320,581 times
I think some people are really obsessed with their tech toys.

The other day we were at the airport, waiting for our plane, and there was this little boy, 4-5 years-old, who was running all over the place and looking for someone to pay attention to him. His mom was sitting a bit further away, hooked to her phone, laughing. The little boy kept coming to us since we were the only ones around with a child. We could have been bad people or anything... the mom never came, never called him or anything. I think it's sad.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:34 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony45 View Post
My kids are grown up. My daughter is married and 26 years old. My son is 18 and a freshman in college. He is going back to college tomorrow after a long Christmas break. We took him shopping today and out to eat at Buffalo Wild Wings.

This family came in--a Mom and Dad with 2 little kids probably 4 and 6 years old. The dad did everything for the kids and the mom played and texted with her smartphone the entire time. I didn't mean to be nosy but they were right in front of me in the my line of sight so it was hard to ignore.

To me, it was a really sad sight. The kids and dad didn't look particularly happy but the mother sat and stared at her phone and then laughed every once in a while, probably at texts and FB status updates.

I have a smart phone, an ipad 2 and computers galore so I'm not innocent, but when it comes to family time that is sacred to me.

I just felt bad for the entire situation. Unplug people--family is the ONLY thing in this life that is important.
Hey was it me?

Ok probably not but I went out to eat with my daughter after having been in Massachusetts all weekend with my students. Before going I was waiting to hear from a friend with a pregnancy health scare. I was glued to that thing once she got back to me. I am sure I looked the exact same way as that mom.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:23 PM

93 posts, read 225,933 times
Weird. I rarely notice what's going on at other tables when I'm out to dinner with my family.

How awkward it must have been for your meal companions that you were so distracted by something while with them.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:28 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,108 times
Quote:
My kids are grown up. My daughter is married and 26 years old. My son is 18 and a freshman in college. He is going back to college tomorrow after a long Christmas break. We took him shopping today and out to eat at Buffalo Wild Wings.

This family came in--a Mom and Dad with 2 little kids probably 4 and 6 years old. The dad did everything for the kids and the mom played and texted with her smartphone the entire time. I didn't mean to be nosy but they were right in front of me in the my line of sight so it was hard to ignore.

To me, it was a really sad sight. The kids and dad didn't look particularly happy but the mother sat and stared at her phone and then laughed every once in a while, probably at texts and FB status updates.

I have a smart phone, an ipad 2 and computers galore so I'm not innocent, but when it comes to family time that is sacred to me.

I just felt bad for the entire situation. Unplug people--family is the ONLY thing in this life that is important.
I'm surprised she didn't stick one in front of each of the kids so they didn't "get fussy".

Old 01-09-2012, 06:51 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,352 times
I agree.
I've seen this so often and it's a shame that people are so disconnected from those around them because of electronic devices.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:34 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Maybe the mom was working, maybe the mom what making vacation plans for the family, maybe the mom was texting back and forth with a family member about someone in the hospital?? You don't really know what she was doing. Sometimes it just can't be helped.
Agreed. I'm not sure how a stranger who is not sitting next to you would know whether you are engrossed in Facebook or an important discussion over email.

I am reminded of someone I know who will make remarks about moms not doing their maternal duty. She commented about a friend of mine because my friend's husband always attends to the baby when they go out. The comment was something like, "Have you noticed how she makes her husband take care of the baby all the time?" At a restaurant, yeah, but my friend is a stay-at-home mom. Going out and getting a break from being mommy is a treat for her.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:40 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:

You know, I couldn't agree more. I don't have a smart phone (I call mine a dumb phone, and tell people not to text me because I won't text back!) and see them as an addition to so many people. I refer to the people who always text/surf on their phones as the "heads down" people", because they're always walking around with their head down. It's just sad, and I'm sure is a strain on many families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting