Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:15 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Doesn't matter how the nugget is made at school. If kids don't learn to make and eat food in and from their own homes, they will never bake a "healthy" nugget at home. Guaranteed.

If they learn to make and eat a sandwich at/from home, they will understand how to make a sandwich....
Actually i disagree with that on somewhat personal experience. I have a friend in my group who basically ate junk food at her house, then always ate the junk food at school thinking it was normal. However when she went to high school they only had the healthy options to buy and that affected her outlook. She said she had no idea that the food she ate at home was not normal or bad for her. Anyway she began pestering her parents for better food, and while they kept eating junk they bought healthier options for her. So i think you will get some children that are affected by it.

And even if they don't like i said, at least the one nutritious lunch a day will reduce some of the health risks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 08:20 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Good grief, what a way to overreact!

From the article you posted:

"A teacher apparently was concerned about one child’s homemade lunch and overreacted. I am being told that the school apologized to the parent."

This was one isolated incident.
It may be one isolated incident but I think it illustrates how much power schools have in the lives of children. I think that the idea that a teacher even thinks that they have the power to decide what a child should have to eat illustrates exactly what role schools see for themselves.

Schools are becoming elitist institutions and frequently many of the school employees think that they know what is better for a child than his parents. School employees are NOT the child's parents.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:21 AM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Actually i disagree with that on somewhat personal experience. I have a friend in my group who basically ate junk food at her house, then always ate the junk food at school thinking it was normal. However when she went to high school they only had the healthy options to buy and that affected her outlook. She said she had no idea that the food she ate at home was not normal or bad for her. Anyway she began pestering her parents for better food, and while they kept eating junk they bought healthier options for her. So i think you will get some children that are affected by it.

And even if they don't like i said, at least the one nutritious lunch a day will reduce some of the health risks.
Kids who buy lunch every day, tend to become adults who buy their lunches every day. While there are healthy choices at restaurants, you usually have to look very hard to find them.

Your friend may have been seeing "healthy baked chicken nuggets" in the cafeteria line, but many (maybe most) of the other kids were seeing just plain old Chicken Nuggets, Hamburgers, Pizza.....

Old 02-16-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It may be one isolated incident but I think it illustrates how much power schools have in the lives of children. I think that the idea that a teacher even thinks that they have the power to decide what a child should have to eat illustrates exactly what role schools see for themselves.

Schools are becoming elitist institutions and frequently many of the school employees think that they know what is better for a child than his parents. School employees are NOT the child's parents.

I think if you are packing junk food for your child and the teacher wants to feed them good food then they do know what's better .

Old 02-16-2012, 08:23 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post

"A state inspector (not sure what that means) checking a Raeford, N.C., elementary school lunchroom decreed that a 4-year-old’s lunch from home — a turkey and cheese sandwich, banana, potato chips, and apple juice — did not meet U.S. Department of Agriculture guidelines, according to the Carolina Journal story. Instead, the child was given cafeteria chicken nuggets."

Daycare centers and preschool are licensed by the state. They all (should) be inspected by the state or county to ensure that they are meeting standards. It was not a teacher or any other school employee, just for clarification. ETA I see now that is was an elem school. Why was a 4 yo at an elem school? In any case, it wasn't the school itself.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Kids who buy lunch every day, tend to become adults who buy their lunches every day. While there are healthy choices at restaurants, you usually have to look very hard to find them.

Your friend may have been seeing "healthy baked chicken nuggets" in the cafeteria line, but many (maybe most) of the other kids were seeing just plain old Chicken Nuggets, Hamburgers, Pizza.....
I'm not saying it's going to vastly alter the nature of most people, but if it does do some good it does have merit.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:26 AM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Quote:
I think if you are packing junk food for your child and the teacher wants to feed them good food then they do know what's better .
What's better, though? A kid who *knowingly* eats junk food or a kid that eats healthy food disguised as junk food?

Aren't they training themselves to eat the same things?

Old 02-16-2012, 08:26 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
The lunch was not junk food! If it had been a bag of cheetos and a soda, I might support what this person did. It wasn't.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
The lunch was not junk food! If it had been a bag of cheetos and a soda, I might support what this person did. It wasn't.
How was it not junk?

Old 02-16-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
What's better, though? A kid who *knowingly* eats junk food or a kid that eats healthy food disguised as junk food?

Aren't they training themselves to eat the same things?
You have a point with that i will admit. My school didn't have things like pizza and burgers, and had veggie options. But then again i realize not all schools are like that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting