Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 06:33 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,976,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead360 View Post
I agree with you on that fact, as far as I'm concerned I do take some classes I enjoy doing, but always balance them with the core courses I'm required to take (such as English, Math, History, Science, electives,etc) So I do take a good amount of time in picking one course every semester that I enjoy or am interested in.

My main plan is to become a Paramedic, and get my Bachelors in Liberal Arts then go on to get my Master's when I feel as though there's something worse pursuing in the future. I have no qualms about getting a Liberal Arts degree, people prefer Master's degrees.

I love writing, but I do so during my free time. My main focus is getting suited into a career that I can support myself at my age.
Private security companies make somewhat decent money.
I guard a call center, these people at the call center make between $12-$16/hr while I only make $11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 08:44 PM

244 posts, read 707,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Private security companies make somewhat decent money.
I guard a call center, these people at the call center make between $12-$16/hr while I only make $11.
Oh that sounds interesting, I guess to be honest my reason as to why becoming an EMT is to kind of become more of a beneficial human being to my community, not just for myself to make a living but to be able to know that I'm trying to make a difference. But that's just me and my silly morals

Old 03-07-2012, 08:55 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,689,212 times
Quote:
It's no secret that sometimes parents and children don't see eye to eye on situations, I'm no different. Apparently my parents do not approve of me becoming an EMT while in college, even though I haven't been able to find a job to pay for some of my own expenses ( this is something really important to me, as I moved out my parents house yet they still lend me money to pay for my own expenses (such as food and other accommodations). As of this time it's really impossible for me to find any sort of job (even minimum wage, which always tell me they aren't hiring). It's tough because my parents have an issue with the expenses for groceries and text books ( I even resorted to having to bring my clothes back home to my family house to wash them to save money).

My Dad told me he didn't want me to work asan EMT because it's dangerous work and he doesn't want me in harm's way. I understand where he's coming from, but even after internships, volunteering, and many other career related activities I haven't been able to put myself in a position where I can at least depend on myself. I volunteer part time to gain experience, and it sucks sometimes, especially when you have people yell at you (I come home sore after work) but I like that I'm doing positive things in the community instead of other things.

I'm getting my associate's at a community college (planning on getting my Bachelor's in Liberal Arts), because I'm not too sure what I should study. So my parents just tell me to get my degree in Liberal Arts so I'm just going to do what they say there because I'm not a big fan of college

Sorry if I seemed like I was ranting but I feel like my parents are giving me more problems than supporting me. I love them and everything, but it's starting to get to the point where I just can't agree with them on anything anymore.
At the end of the day it's your choice and only your choice what your life path will be.

I told our 4 sons that the could do any honorable work they wished to as long as it didn't bring shame to the family name the same way criminal activity does. Dishwasher to CEO it was their choice.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:04 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,427,773 times
I think it is very commendable for you to consider such a job. Best of luck in your decision.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:23 AM

169 posts, read 575,003 times
Quote:
Oh that sounds interesting, I guess to be honest my reason as to why becoming an EMT is to kind of become more of a beneficial human being to my community, not just for myself to make a living but to be able to know that I'm trying to make a difference. But that's just me and my silly morals
Quote:
It's no secret that sometimes parents and children don't see eye to eye on situations, I'm no different. Apparently my parents do not approve of me becoming an EMT while in college, even though I haven't been able to find a job to pay for some of my own expenses ( this is something really important to me, as I moved out my parents house yet they still lend me money to pay for my own expenses (such as food and other accommodations). As of this time it's really impossible for me to find any sort of job (even minimum wage, which always tell me they aren't hiring). It's tough because my parents have an issue with the expenses for groceries and text books ( I even resorted to having to bring my clothes back home to my family house to wash them to save money).
If you want to make a difference in your community, then go for it! We need lots more people like that! Don't waste your time getting a degree you don't want.

Now, as a parent, who has had an adult daughter move back home because she couldn't find work, I can sympathize with your parents. For me, it didn't matter to me what kind of job she had as long as she could live on her own and pay her bills ... which she wasn't doing. Are your parents frustrated that they need to lend you money? Do they resent it or does it not bother them at all? Do you pay them back? If they feel like they need to support you, then they may feel like you need to get a "real job" so that you can pay your own way. It can be a heavy burden for a parent to have an adult child who is unable to pay their bills. They worry about what will happen to their child when they retire and/or when they are no longer able to help. So just another perspective to think about.

Last edited by polarbear3; 03-08-2012 at 07:38 AM..

Old 03-08-2012, 08:09 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,053,535 times
I agree with others in regards to living your own life. I'm facing what you're facing right now, and I'm discovering you can't spend your life trying to live someone else's dream or goals. Not only will you become frustrated as you try going through the motions while your desires are elsewhere, it will only make you resentful later in life if you don't live out your own goals.

I agree parents can mean well, but sometimes parents can subcionciously use this as an excuse to maintain control of your life (i.e. They want you to grow up on their terms), which will only stifle your growth and independence. When you realize your goals don't align with your parents, that's the first step towards that independence and learning to live your own life and think for yourself.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:42 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Not silly at all. Commendable. (Though I get it, )

Good for you. You've restored my faith in younger people which, after reading some posts here in the last couple of days, had made me rather nauseated. It's wonderful to be reminded that there are people who think of someone besides themselves.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:45 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,959,629 times
Default Emt

Quote:
I can walk because of an EMT. If I had been removed from my car by an untrained person, it probably would have injured my spine more. Instead of not being able to walk for 6 months, it could have been permanent.

I applaud your reason, as opposed to some who just want and easy job, and then selfishly complain about it.

I think your parents will come around, and if you explain your feelings, and your career goals, they really should. If not -it is your life, and you have to do what you feel is right.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:07 AM

5,663 posts, read 5,092,159 times
Hey, being an EMT is far more honest and honorable than something like, say, a "community organizer." We all know what that leads to. While I want my child to have a financially successful life, it's more important that she's happy with whatever she does. Of course if she decides to dedicate her life to some nonsense like being a social worker, immigration rights advocate, or Occupy protester, she's completely on her own.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:59 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,502,941 times
I have a friend who became an EMT because he wanted to intern in music studios and liked the flexible schedule. He turned down a job at the Post Office to be an EMT and his father didn't speak to him for a year because working at the Post Office used to be a really reliable (if low pay) job.

My friend has a Grammy now and makes more a year than I will in my lifetime but he used his EMT skills to save his son's life a few years ago. Pretty valuable stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting