Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:21 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead360 View Post
It's no secret that sometimes parents and children don't see eye to eye on situations, I'm no different. Apparently my parents do not approve of me becoming an EMT while in college, even though I haven't been able to find a job to pay for some of my own expenses ( this is something really important to me, as I moved out my parents house yet they still lend me money to pay for my own expenses (such as food and other accommodations). As of this time it's really impossible for me to find any sort of job (even minimum wage, which always tell me they aren't hiring). It's tough because my parents have an issue with the expenses for groceries and text books ( I even resorted to having to bring my clothes back home to my family house to wash them to save money).

My Dad told me he didn't want me to work asan EMT because it's dangerous work and he doesn't want me in harm's way. I understand where he's coming from, but even after internships, volunteering, and many other career related activities I haven't been able to put myself in a position where I can at least depend on myself. I volunteer part time to gain experience, and it sucks sometimes, especially when you have people yell at you (I come home sore after work) but I like that I'm doing positive things in the community instead of other things.

I'm getting my associate's at a community college (planning on getting my Bachelor's in Liberal Arts), because I'm not too sure what I should study. So my parents just tell me to get my degree in Liberal Arts so I'm just going to do what they say there because I'm not a big fan of college

Sorry if I seemed like I was ranting but I feel like my parents are giving me more problems than supporting me. I love them and everything, but it's starting to get to the point where I just can't agree with them on anything anymore.

Your parents want you to have a four year degree because they believe over your lifetime this will allow you the most income potential possible, which would then translate to the most financial security possible.

However, while this used to be the norm, it is not that way so much anymore.

Many people with 4 year degrees are unemployed right now - especially those with just a generic liberal arts degree and no real world skills.

Our world has changed and your parents may not have gotten the memo.

Having real technical skills is what gets you a job these days. And becoming an EMT is something to be proud of, so good for you! Perhaps it would make your parents feel better if they knew that being an EMT might just inspire you to a nursing career or maybe even medical school - it could happen!

Look, the truth is, your folks love you and they want the best for you. Because they do, they are giving you the best advice they know how to give. Is it the best advice in reality? Maybe. But the thing is, you and you alone are the only one who can live your life.

Let them know you appreciate their guidance, their financial help and their concern. Be mature about that when you convey it. Then let them know that while you will always take their opinions seriously, as an adult you must make the final choices when it comes to living your own life.

Then go do it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 09:23 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Well, that isn't THAT dangerous. Hes not applying to be a firefighter or police officer, or going to the army. I mean really, there are 1,000's of other jobs that are way more dangerous. Besides, EVEN IF he gets hurt while out on the job, at least hes got an ambulance on the spot! Its probably the safest situation to be in should an accident occur.
Actually, EMT's are usually part of a fire department, and they are often more in the line of fire, or danger, than police officers.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:23 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,324,289 times
This is why I think college is a waste of time and money. I know people who have gone to and graduated from college, they ended up with debt and still couldn't get a job! Other people I know didn't go to college, but started work right away and they're doing quite well.

But I understand your parents' disapproval. This sounds like a dangerous job.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:25 AM

244 posts, read 707,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
So what "job" are you looking for now? Do you mean a basic job just so that you can pay your own bills? Also, why in the hell would you get a liberal arts degree?!?! Not bashing those with LA degrees, but that not the degree to get if you are just looking for a job.

I would recommend that you try for some sort of business degree if you really dont care or dont know what you want to study. Remember this, EVERYTHING is a business. If it doesn't make money, it doesn't exist. At least with a business degree you will be able to apply what you learn to almost any job. UNLESS you decide you really do want to pursue being an EMT, in which case you should go into the medical field of sorts.

Lastly, like Trimac said, how is an EMT dangerous? Are you looking to do it over seas or something? If your parents are paying the bills, you need meet their wishes, but becoming a paramedic should be something they are proud of.
I feel the same way about Liberal Arts, not that theres anything wrong with studying something you enjoy because I love writing but as a hobby. I'm not sure about Business, I never really had the heart or interest in it but I discovered I love many things that have to do with human anatomy and medicine. Downside is I'm terrible at Math, so I don't try to go into those fields. That's the biggest concern I have, I failed the remedial math class "twice", which puts me at odds as to why I should even try getting my degree when I have options out there.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:44 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,216,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead360 View Post
It's no secret that sometimes parents and children don't see eye to eye on situations, I'm no different. Apparently my parents do not approve of me becoming an EMT while in college, even though I haven't been able to find a job to pay for some of my own expenses ( this is something really important to me, as I moved out my parents house yet they still lend me money to pay for my own expenses (such as food and other accommodations). As of this time it's really impossible for me to find any sort of job (even minimum wage, which always tell me they aren't hiring). It's tough because my parents have an issue with the expenses for groceries and text books ( I even resorted to having to bring my clothes back home to my family house to wash them to save money).

My Dad told me he didn't want me to work asan EMT because it's dangerous work and he doesn't want me in harm's way. I understand where he's coming from, but even after internships, volunteering, and many other career related activities I haven't been able to put myself in a position where I can at least depend on myself. I volunteer part time to gain experience, and it sucks sometimes, especially when you have people yell at you (I come home sore after work) but I like that I'm doing positive things in the community instead of other things.

I'm getting my associate's at a community college (planning on getting my Bachelor's in Liberal Arts), because I'm not too sure what I should study. So my parents just tell me to get my degree in Liberal Arts so I'm just going to do what they say there because I'm not a big fan of college

Sorry if I seemed like I was ranting but I feel like my parents are giving me more problems than supporting me. I love them and everything, but it's starting to get to the point where I just can't agree with them on anything anymore.
They also think you are gay based on the other thread?

My advice -

Set clear boundaries with your parents that you are going to do what you want and accept the consequences

Get out from under momma or daddies wing and seek their advice less if they always want to just control the outcome

Don't go into debt for the liberal arts degree btw (10% of all student loans are delinquent now 85billion)

You really need to spread your wings and they seem to be stifling you

I had parent's of a similar nature who wanted to butt into everything. I set clear boundaries and did my own thing regardless of their nagging advice. I made a few mistakes, but turned out quite successful and I know in my heart that it was all of my own doing.

The military might be a good solution for you. It would teach you independence and strength so that you can believe in yourself more. Also you could get some good training for free, while getting paid. Many of those jobs won't require extensive math.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:09 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,652,155 times
Tell your dad to suck it. He'll respect you for it in the long run.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:16 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,718,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Where is this happening because even in NYC, that RARELY happens.
I live in VA, in a suburb about 25 miles outside of DC. Many's the time I've seen an EMT and firefighter both trying to haul someone out of a flipped car, victim covered in blood. We had an EMT die not too long ago trying to get to a burning car and wound up falling off the bridge. Maybe not the smartest EMT, but it is what it is. We also had an instance in the area awhile back of a guy high as a kite fighting the PD and EMT's both. He wound up getting a taser for his efforts. Just because it you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I used to have a family member that was NYPD and some of the things I heard shocked me, and not much surprises me when it comes to the stupidity of people.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:28 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,216,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I live in VA, in a suburb about 25 miles outside of DC. Many's the time I've seen an EMT and firefighter both trying to haul someone out of a flipped car, victim covered in blood. We had an EMT die not too long ago trying to get to a burning car and wound up falling off the bridge. Maybe not the smartest EMT, but it is what it is. We also had an instance in the area awhile back of a guy high as a kite fighting the PD and EMT's both. He wound up getting a taser for his efforts. Just because it you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I used to have a family member that was NYPD and some of the things I heard shocked me, and not much surprises me when it comes to the stupidity of people.
It does take a special person to want to do this, but I am sure it can be rewarding.

If you don't want to do work with any risk, get better at math.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:29 AM

186 posts, read 351,916 times
EMT=PARAMEDIC=NURSE=RN,NURSE=DOCTOR!My childhood friend did that,if you stay with the same hospital,most will pay for your education.Doing what you want to do will not feel like your workingHe is my doctor

Old 03-07-2012, 10:33 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,242,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I think those are rare instances and not the norm for every day EMT calls. You can't compare what NYPD sees every day with an EMT call. Not saying there isn't whacky stuff that goes on but I wouldn't say it's a day-to-day thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting