Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 07:45 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,947,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Most classes at our preschool were about 9 kids. 2 classrooms were big, so they had 18 kids.
The classes I taught had 2 teachers with 16 to 20 kids. This was a mixed age 3 to 5 year old class. In another school, we had 2 teachers and an aide and 17 kids.

My own kids had 20 kids in preschool with 2 teachers as well back in the 70s. I taught in the 80s and 90s in preK.

I actually loved the 4 year old 4 day a week half day class with 2 teachers and an aide. It was a really nice mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 10:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
It's not okay not invite all the kids in a preschool class to a party. It isn't. It's rude and mean to leave little kids out like that.

Either have a party that you intend to invite all the kids to, or keep it for family and outside friends.

If someone invited some of my daughter's class (at this very young age) to a party and left her out, I'd be furious.

There, I said it again. Invite all the class or be damned, my sentiments exactly.
I dunno. Maybe times have changed. My own kids weren't invited to all that many parties, so I felt no pressure to invite the whole class to their parties, from pre-school on.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:05 AM

13,472 posts, read 9,987,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I dunno. Maybe times have changed. My own kids weren't invited to all that many parties, so I felt no pressure to invite the whole class to their parties, from pre-school on.
Okay, fair enough. I am a bit sensitive to the issue I guess.

I'm a bit surprised at the number of kids in preschool classes though, we have a limit of 13 in ours. I didn't envision them being much bigger than that.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:52 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,635,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Are you a parent yet?

You don't sound like you understand that a 5 year old is VERY capable of having her own opinions, likes and dislikes.

This is HER birthday, not dad's. He should have taken her feelings into consideration and given her the kind of party SHE wanted, not the kind he wanted her to have.

Even a 5 year old deserves to be respected.

Sure, let's give a five year old WHATEVER they want! Maybe you have the finances to do so or let your child call the shots, but most parents have to take in consideration other things like money, time, values and morals. A five year old is capable of choosing what they want to wear, what they want to eat or what to play with. Have you heard of a little saying that says...."You get what you get and you like it"? My kids all know it. God forbid a child not get everything they want.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
Sure, let's give a five year old WHATEVER they want! Maybe you have the finances to do so or let your child call the shots, but most parents have to take in consideration other things like money, time, values and morals. A five year old is capable of choosing what they want to wear, what they want to eat or what to play with. Have you heard of a little saying that says...."You get what you get and you like it"? My kids all know it. God forbid a child not get everything they want.
Oh, for crying out loud, it's a birthday party! What's this stuff about morals? What kind of immoral acts do you think a 5 year old is going to want to do for her birthday? Pole dancing? The father put down $200 and the party is going to cost $400, so I guess finances aren't a huge issue in this case. I would not say "you get what you get" for a birthday party. Maybe for dinner if the kid complained about the meal, but that's a different story.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:10 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,966,413 times
What ever happened to cake and ice cream and pin the tail on the donkey? I think entirely too much is made of theme parties and big expensive shindigs for a bunch of kids who just want to sing Happy Birthday and get a goodie bag to take home.

That being said, Dad paid the money, the kid gets the Princess party. Next year, he'll be older but wiser.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:23 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,221,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
What ever happened to cake and ice cream and pin the tail on the donkey? I think entirely too much is made of theme parties and big expensive shindigs for a bunch of kids who just want to sing Happy Birthday and get a goodie bag to take home.
These types of large parties were just beginning when I was a kid. When I was around 8 one of my friends had his party at Knotts' Berry Farm. (Amusement park in So Cal.) I was thrilled to be invited and still remember it well. It was in a treehouse in the petting zoo area. Just the most fabulous thing for an 8 year old.

If the parents can afford it, and aren't taking out a loan to pay for it, I see nothing wrong with it. Sometimes experiences like this make a memory that lasts forever.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:33 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,429,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post

That being said, Dad paid the money, the kid gets the Princess party. Next year, he'll be older but wiser.

This is what I have often wondered about. When did it become "obligatory" for the birthday boy/girl to send home goodie bags?! My son is having a birthday party in June, but we will not be sending home goodie bags. Just another "everyone should get something" mentality if you ask me.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:43 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,581,256 times
There have been many threads on goodie bags. Even when I was a kid back in the dark ages kids got a little something to take home, this is not a new phenomenon. For my DS last party we bought kites from Walmart as "goodies", I think they were 75c each, and they were a huge hit. They do not have to cost a fortune.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:47 AM

2,456 posts, read 3,223,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
If someone invited some of my daughter's class (at this very young age) to a party and left her out, I'd be furious.
But would your daughter be upset?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting