Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 07:35 PM

485 posts, read 1,011,836 times

Advertisements

My son put down a deposit on a party place that has Disney princess parties. This is for a birthday party for his daughter (my granddaughter). This was about 2 months ago. Well now, in the last couple of weeks, my granddaughter has started (tearfully) telling my son that nooooo, she doesn't want a princess party, she wants to have her party at the zoo (which actually is cheaper). But if my son cancels the princess party, he loses a couple hundred dollars of deposit. What should he do?

My opinion is that 5-year-olds do not get a say in such things and he should stick to the original plan (princess party).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 07:40 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,763 times
Well, here is a learning lesson for your son. Don't make definite plans with a 5 year old.

IMO, I would stick to the original plan.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:44 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,998,847 times
Keep the original plan.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:58 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,329 times
At that point, I'd say, "I'm sorry honey, we're having the party at the princess place. You are going to have lots of fun. Would you like to help pick out the cake?"

But as for letting a child have a say, yes they should. If she did have a say earlier, I'd add, "You decided on the princess party before, we paid them money for it and we have to to have the party there now."

Old 04-05-2012, 07:58 PM

485 posts, read 1,011,836 times
Now, truth be told, my son did not originally ASK my granddaughter if she would like to have a princess party. He assumed she would b/c she loves Disney princesses, etc. And I guess he had never even thought that it was REQUIRED to ask a 5-year-old whether XYZ party is OK by him/her. But now apparently she is having a fit??? I have no idea what's going on in her little head. All I know is that I don't think my son should have ever even told her what was going on, what kind of party was planned, and just had whatever party he planned. Now if he sticks to original plan, she's gonna be having tantrums up until party and possibly during, who knows.

I feel so bad for him b/c he planned this party, booked the place, got special princess invites, showed great creativity and planning, etc. and now she is balking.

Jeez/

Old 04-05-2012, 08:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Loose a couple of hundred dollars because a 5-year old is having a tantrum?

That would SO not happen in my world.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:15 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,000,630 times
I have a 6 yr old and twin 3 yr olds... and yes if a deposit has been made and too late to switch then by all means stick to the original plans. a 5 yr old can change their mind a thousand times. Next time though I would at least consult with the kid before making plans and certainly a deposit to let him/her have an opinion. But after a decision has been made, then it has to stay.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:18 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,970,743 times
He should have asked her first.
you ask them what kind of party they want, write down the ones you can afford, and then have them pick from that list.

I couldnt imagine NOT asking a child what kind of party they wanted, or ideas.
Ask them where they want it, what kind of theme, etc and then do what you want can afford.

You know, saying mommy and daddy can afford at home, the park, jump street or the pool, which one do you like more? And then do you want princess plates or spongebob?

Old 04-05-2012, 08:23 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,285,398 times
Keep the planned party BUT Tell her to you will take Her to the zoo as part of her presant Like within a week of the party. Sounds like she just wants to go to the zoo LOL

Old 04-05-2012, 08:29 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,383,968 times
If it were my daughter (turning 6 in a few weeks), I would stick to the plan because it's likely that she would change her mind again in two days anyway. They can be such drama queens at this age! Plus, I would have at least asked her opinion about her own birthday party in the first place (unless it was a surprise party). But even if I hadn't asked her first, our motto is, "You get what you get and you don't pitch a fit."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting