Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 04:22 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You remember preschool? Really?
No I remember my children not getting invited to parties in preschool. I remember other kids not being invited to parties in preschool. They cared in direct proportion to the big deal their parents made out of it.

Quote:
I also always did the everybody gets a valentine,
Valentines are done in class. Invites needn't be. I think it would be really rude to send invites to only some TO the classroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 04:24 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You remember preschool? Really?

I also always did the everybody gets a valentine, everbody goes to the party thing when my daughter was in preschool too.

She wanted me to. I clearly remember her being concerned that we invited one particular girl. I asked her why and she said that Salone cried because she didnt get to go to another girls party. She was 4. They notice and they care.
That, plus, I couldn't get my son to narrow down who his friends were. Through kindergarten they all played together. He literally told me he was friends with everyone.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:27 PM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
No I remember my children not getting invited to parties in preschool. I remember other kids not being invited to parties in preschool. They cared in direct proportion to the big deal their parents made out of it.

Valentines are done in class. Invites needn't be. I think it would be really rude to send invites to only some TO the classroom.
Noted that other schools may be different, but in my daughter's class they have their birthdays up on a calendar and talk about them on the day. So it's pretty obvious who's having a party and who isn't, regardless of what the parents say. They discuss it at school.

And of course, if she wasn't invited, and other kids in her class were, I wouldn't make a big deal of it in front of her, I'm not that dense. I would, however, think the parents were a bit rude and insensitive.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:38 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I don't know anyone's address, and I'm not going to pick and choose four year old kids. In our class, either everyone gets invited or nobody.

We're talking preschool here, not later on when they have solid friends. Invite everyone or don't bother.
My kids had friends even in preschool. They got along with lots of the kids, but they did have several they played with on a regular basis (in our neighborhood). Those were the kids they chose to invite.

Interestingly, my ds chose 3 girls and 2 boys. 1 girl and 1 boy were not in his preschool, but lived close to us and had been in our babysitting co-op.

My dd was much more social and went to a school were kids were not neighborhood kids, so she had the whole k class, but that was an exception for our family.

If you don't give the invites out at school, then you don't need to invite every child.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
My kids had friends even in preschool. They got along with lots of the kids, but they did have several they played with on a regular basis (in our neighborhood). Those were the kids they chose to invite.

Interestingly, my ds chose 3 girls and 2 boys. 1 girl and 1 boy were not in his preschool, but lived close to us and had been in our babysitting co-op.

My dd was much more social and went to a school were kids were not neighborhood kids, so she had the whole k class, but that was an exception for our family.

If you don't give the invites out at school, then you don't need to invite every child.
I'm sorry, but I disagree. In a preschool class, I still think leaving kids out is rude.

I just realized though, that class in America means something different than it does where I'm from. I'm referring to the actual class that your kid is in, not the whole school, or grade. Just to be clear.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:48 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I disagree. In a preschool class, I still think leaving kids out is rude.

I just realized though, that class in America means something different than it does where I'm from. I'm referring to the actual class that your kid is in, not the whole school, or grade. Just to be clear.
So am I. I did not want 20 preschoolers at my house. No one got bent out of shape by having only 4 or 5 kids.

It's not rude to leave kids out when you want a smaller party. It's rude to think that every parent has to invite all 20 kids at that age, imo. Also at 3 or 4, you probably would need to have all the parents too. With 4 or 5 kids we knew well, the kids could be there without the parents.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:52 PM

460 posts, read 671,679 times
Quote:
Great, then don't go.

We only had family parties up until now, too. But being five, and that she's now in preschool, and given that we live in the city with no room to host her new friends, the ability to have a party at one of those dirty kid party facilities is actually a blessing.

I doubt we'll do this every year, but I personally think five is a special birthday, and worth a bit of a do.

All respect to those who think otherwise.
Honestly, if you think it's worth a big to do then knock yourself out. My good friends have a big to do at a kid facility since the age of 3. I personally don't get it but that doesn't mean I disparage their choices. I didn't mean to imply otherwise with my "nasty, dirty" comment. I just can't help being skeeved out at those places. It's my issue not yours or theirs. So I take my kid, let him have fun, and bring the hand sanitizer. And I'm usually not a germophobe either (except in those places and doctors offices).

Old 04-06-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
So am I. I did not want 20 preschoolers at my house. No one got bent out of shape by having only 4 or 5 kids.

It's not rude to leave kids out when you want a smaller party. It's rude to think that every parent has to invite all 20 kids at that age, imo. Also at 3 or 4, you probably would need to have all the parents too. With 4 or 5 kids we knew well, the kids could be there without the parents.
Is 20 preschoolers the norm for a class? And they don't all come, surely?

And yes, you do need to invite the parents too.

I guess it's different if you are close friends with 3 or 4 of the kids in preschool outside of the class. We aren't, so maybe that's why I don't understand not inviting all of them.

But that's what I mean by having a party for friends and family, or for your preschool class, one or the other.

Perhaps you guys just have a very different preschool experience than I do. It's entirely possible.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:59 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Is 20 preschoolers the norm for a class? And they don't all come, surely?

And yes, you do need to invite the parents too.

I guess it's different if you are close friends with 3 or 4 of the kids in preschool outside of the class. We aren't, so maybe that's why I don't understand not inviting all of them.

But that's what I mean by having a party for friends and family, or for your preschool class, one or the other.

Perhaps you guys just have a very different preschool experience than I do. It's entirely possible.
Most classes at our preschool were about 9 kids. 2 classrooms were big, so they had 18 kids.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southshorelady View Post
Honestly, if you think it's worth a big to do then knock yourself out. My good friends have a big to do at a kid facility since the age of 3. I personally don't get it but that doesn't mean I disparage their choices. I didn't mean to imply otherwise with my "nasty, dirty" comment. I just can't help being skeeved out at those places. It's my issue not yours or theirs. So I take my kid, let him have fun, and bring the hand sanitizer. And I'm usually not a germophobe either (except in those places and doctors offices).
Thanks, I appreciate that. The kids will enjoy it, hopefully. I bet your kid would really appreciate it too, if he knew how much you were skeeved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting