Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 04:00 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,818 times

Advertisements

The teacher just said "Oh, that's too bad. He told me when it happened."

Gee...that's real helpful.

Anyone else deal with willful destruction of property before? Not sure if I should take this further up the chain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 04:01 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
take it further up the chain.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:05 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Isn't your son quite young? As in, the same classroom, with the same child sitting behind him all day young? Yeah, I would squeak. I'm not sure about the backpack. How would another child slice it?

When my brother was in elementary school, the kid behind him used to plant his feet on the back of my brother's blazer (private school). When the teacher didn't think it was a big deal, my parents pulled him from the school. When my youngest was in 5th grade the kid behind him stabbed him in the arm with his pencil, and the lead tip broke off. Yes, I squeaked.

Your child is too young ( I think ) to stand up for himself. Make some noise.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:08 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Your situation sounds bad in every damned way. The place you live sounds like a damned hell hole. I wonder if you could broaden your job search to include geographies that are ... not there. Sounds like your row is a long one to hoe. I am sorry.

P.S. Make sure to get details about what happened as well as how your son feels about it. Then if there is a problem, which one can guess there is, take it up the food chain.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:13 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
take it further up the chain.
This, immediately; take photos, document, document, document and file a police report if need be.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:15 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,854 times
Hey, how's that neighbor boy been doing this week? Has he tried to come over? I still worry about him.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Isn't your son quite young? As in, the same classroom, with the same child sitting behind him all day young? Yeah, I would squeak. I'm not sure about the backpack. How would another child slice it?

When my brother was in elementary school, the kid behind him used to plant his feet on the back of my brother's blazer (private school). When the teacher didn't think it was a big deal, my parents pulled him from the school. When my youngest was in 5th grade the kid behind him stabbed him in the arm with his pencil, and the lead tip broke off. Yes, I squeaked.

Your child is too young ( I think ) to stand up for himself. Make some noise.

My son's 7...2nd grade. This has been one heck of a school year. Gangs, damaged property, and the list goes on and on.

The backpack was sliced with a razor blade or other straightedge--you can tell because its plastic and the cut is way too clean.

When I was in school I had kids sit all day long and kick me and no one ever did anything about it...but then again I was the one on the monkey bars with the boys playing chicken. It was great kicking the heck out of each other...lol

One of the problems is that the boy doing this (not the neighbor boy) is already on a contract and that is as low as they go in that school. He's been suspended and nearly expelled this year.

I don't really have the funds to move and I just signed a lease (whole other story) that I may not be able to get out of easily. I could/would come up with the funds if really necessary. It's so close to the end of the school year that I just think the teachers are giving up trying to fix anything.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Hey, how's that neighbor boy been doing this week? Has he tried to come over? I still worry about him.

I allow him to come over in the mornings since they walk together but they only get 10 mins in the morning now. He seems to be doing ok but I don't pry and since he's not over all the time they don't have much time to chat about anything besides Lego.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:24 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
My son's 7...2nd grade. This has been one heck of a school year. Gangs, damaged property, and the list goes on and on.

The backpack was sliced with a razor blade or other straightedge--you can tell because its plastic and the cut is way too clean.

When I was in school I had kids sit all day long and kick me and no one ever did anything about it...but then again I was the one on the monkey bars with the boys playing chicken. It was great kicking the heck out of each other...lol

One of the problems is that the boy doing this (not the neighbor boy) is already on a contract and that is as low as they go in that school. He's been suspended and nearly expelled this year.

I don't really have the funds to move and I just signed a lease (whole other story) that I may not be able to get out of easily. I could/would come up with the funds if really necessary. It's so close to the end of the school year that I just think the teachers are giving up trying to fix anything.
A second grader with a razor?????? Time for the police.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
A second grader with a razor?????? Time for the police.
This!

Pull on your Momma Bear armor and protect your kid!!

Cheese. He comes home with evidence that a fellow student has a razor blade (!) and you aren't in the office, or on the phone to the police, demanding that something be done?

Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting