Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 03:25 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,874,095 times

Advertisements

And this will give you info about SCHOOL CHOICE in SLC:

Salt Lake City School District :: Page Title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 03:25 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
lol...the homeless shelter (one and only "complex" in our city) is 3 blocks from us and I wouldn't be caught dead in there.
Only idiots got to homeless shelters...why would a person with a mind drop that low?....If you can think you can live where ever you want...a home less shelter is not a shelter or a home...it;s a dumping ground and storage facility for losers..

Old 04-26-2012, 03:28 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
I think the point was that the homeless shelter is only 3 blocks away, i.e. in the same neighborhood and school district. Why would she be any better off there than where she is?

Old 04-26-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Only idiots got to homeless shelters...why would a person with a mind drop that low?....If you can think you can live where ever you want...a home less shelter is not a shelter or a home...it;s a dumping ground and storage facility for losers..
Are you being serious or facetious?

Old 04-26-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I think the point was that the homeless shelter is only 3 blocks away, i.e. in the same neighborhood and school district. Why would she be any better off there than where she is?
There are more than one and there are other towns and cities that may meet her needs. Some people are down on their luck. Not all homeless shelters are opium dens and crack houses.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:25 PM

13,427 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Quote:
She wouldn't, which is why it was silly that she would immediately think of the shelter in her neighborhood, when she really should be getting out of that part of town altogether.

I don't know if a homeless shelter is the answer, but the poster offered advice in good spirit, and the OP laughed. Which is probably not the best, given her son's situation. (I know you know this Kibbie, I'm directing this at the OP.)

Old 04-27-2012, 11:56 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,630,326 times
Quote:
I have limited avenues but am doing the best I can with what I have to work with. Thankfully my son is in the minority in his school and will not be recruited by the gangs there.
He may not be recruited, but that means he be totally be a bigger easier target for those gangs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
The school year is almost over. Could you homeschool him for the remainder of the year? That would give you time to figure out a new plan for next year in a new district.
Wonderful advice! If I wasn't in the middle of my degree (18 dredit hrs next semester urgh!) then I would homeschool again.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
LOL? Excuse me, but I really don't think this is funny.

You put your son in jeopardy because you're too proud to get help, and when something BAD happens to him because you won't DO anything, then all that pride is going to seem STUPID.

foe is right, you need to protect your son and stop messing about.

This whole situation is making me feel ill.
I agree Kibbie, I took that as what she meant as well.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:28 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Seriously?
Homeless people are there because they have no home, would you rather they sleep in your trashcan in your drive way?

Old 11-21-2015, 02:15 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,767,296 times
Quote:
My son's 7...2nd grade. This has been one heck of a school year. Gangs, damaged property, and the list goes on and on.

The backpack was sliced with a razor blade or other straightedge--you can tell because its plastic and the cut is way too clean.
This tells me the school isn't following its own zero-tolerance policy as far as weapons. What if the other kid had used the razor blade on your son's back or his face? If the principal waffles on this, go straight to the superintendent.

Old 11-21-2015, 03:07 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
This tells me the school isn't following its own zero-tolerance policy as far as weapons. What if the other kid had used the razor blade on your son's back or his face? If the principal waffles on this, go straight to the superintendent.
Check the date on the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting