Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 04:31 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
I don't really have the funds to move and I just signed a lease (whole other story) that I may not be able to get out of easily. I could/would come up with the funds if really necessary.
I am not sure what "really necessary" looks like to you. Maybe this is normal to you because you grew up in similar situation. But a 7 year old encountering a razor blade like device in any capacity is far from normal to many, and in my view DAMNED dangerous. You talk of gangs.

You can't do much today. But do you have a medium to long term plan to get out of this hell hole?

I remember hearing a story on the news about a mother whose 13 year old was in a gang in East LA. She was saving for his funeral. She had something like 10 grand saved. TEN GRAND is enough to MOVE away from East LA for pete's sake! But she is saving it for her child's funeral??!!?

This is where you want your child growing up? A place where he is attacked with a razor blade at SEVEN? No the going won't be easy. The planning will be hard. But still...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
This!

Pull on your Momma Bear armor and protect your kid!!

Cheese. He comes home with evidence that a fellow student has a razor blade (!) and you aren't in the office, or on the phone to the police, demanding that something be done?

Really?
Yes in the short term while you map your exit strategy THIS.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:44 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,599 times
So far this year there has been:

2 students picked up by police for weapons at school
countless gang fights
the playground equipment was tagged last week (covered in graffiti)
and in his grade alone there have been gangs, suspensions, expels, detentions, etc.

It is getting worse but, yes, this is normal for my neighborhood. This is why I am moving. I had the funds but had to get our own apartment and have to get new funds. I have limited avenues but am doing the best I can with what I have to work with. Thankfully my son is in the minority in his school and will not be recruited by the gangs there.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:45 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,360 times
wow...if it had been my child I would be marching up to that school and that teacher and raising holy Hell !!!! Forget the police, they are useless. There are times to take matters into your own hands and this is one of them. WAR.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:59 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,667 times
Yes. Contact the school superintendent with a detailed account of what happened via email. cc the school principal. You should get results....fast.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:21 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
So far this year there has been:

2 students picked up by police for weapons at school
countless gang fights
the playground equipment was tagged last week (covered in graffiti)
and in his grade alone there have been gangs, suspensions, expels, detentions, etc.

It is getting worse but, yes, this is normal for my neighborhood. This is why I am moving. I had the funds but had to get our own apartment and have to get new funds. I have limited avenues but am doing the best I can with what I have to work with. Thankfully my son is in the minority in his school and will not be recruited by the gangs there.
I'm sorry, but didn't you start a thread a while back saying your kid was involved with a gang kid?

I don't know what you're thinking, and I'm sure it's very very difficult, but you've got to get Y0UR CHILD OUT OF THAT SCHOOL.

That's it. If anything happens to him because you mamby pambied around you will never forgive yourself.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:27 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I'm sorry, but didn't you start a thread a while back saying your kid was involved with a gang kid?

I don't know what you're thinking, and I'm sure it's very very difficult, but you've got to get Y0UR CHILD OUT OF THAT SCHOOL.

That's it. If anything happens to him because you mamby pambied around you will never forgive yourself.

It's not that easy in our district. I could request a transfer to an open school but then I have to provide transportation myself and that will prove costly. Yes the other kids are in a gang but I know my son will not be recruited (they don't allow white kids in) and that is getting more under control. The tagging was much too high for a child to do and the same tagger hit a 10 block radius.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
It's not that easy in our district./
Get out of your district. God, but you are a frustrating one.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:32 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
It's not that easy in our district. I could request a transfer to an open school but then I have to provide transportation myself and that will prove costly. Yes the other kids are in a gang but I know my son will not be recruited (they don't allow white kids in) and that is getting more under control. The tagging was much too high for a child to do and the same tagger hit a 10 block radius.
Excuses won't matter if something unspeakable happens to your child.

Wake up, for goodness' sake! You're supposed to be protecting him!

Do something. I can't believe you've not moved yet, after your last thread.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:35 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
The school year is almost over. Could you homeschool him for the remainder of the year? That would give you time to figure out a new plan for next year in a new district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting