Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 10:43 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1018 View Post
How Do You Guys Feel About Stay At Home Dads? Some People Think That Its Okay For A Man To Go Out And Work While The Woman Stays At Home. But If The Woman Goes Out And Gets A Job And The Man Stays Home Then He's A Loser? Why Is That? I Think Its Okay For A Man To Stay Home Just Like Its Okay For The Woman To Stay Home. Just Venting Let Me Know? CAUSE I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH TAKING CARE OF MY MAN AND MY KIDS, BESIDES TAKING CARE OF KIDS IS A JOB ALL IN ITS OWN
A female relative of mine brings home the bacon. Her husband chose his wife well. He is still home taking care of their almost 3 year old, but they did start sending her to preschool so she could have more interaction with kids. She comes back home for naptime because she is still rocked to sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 08:30 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefs fan View Post
jp1018,

I think stay at home dads are great....I'm married to one! We made the decision that one of us should stay at home with our kids until they are in school full time, and decided that my husband would be better suited for this role than I would. We see news stories or articles about SAHDs, but most of the time the father has been laid off from work and they were forced into the situation. We get frustrated that the media portrays SAHD households as a "last resort". We have 3 sons and I think our lifestyle has set a good example for them.

We get mixed reactions to our chosen lifestyle. Some are supportive and tell us they think it is great. Unfortunately we also encounter people who look down on us...in particular, they look down on my husband as inadequate. We had a couple of neighbors that lived across the street from us who told my husband that everyone thinks he acts like a woman since he is a stay at home dad (this coming from two stay at home moms). One time we were at a birthday party for a friend, and one of the guests asked my husband what he did for a living. My husband told him he was a stay at home dad...the guy had a blank look on his face and then said "yes, but what do you do for a living?". Other times we get the response of "oh...that's...ummm...interesting", but it is clear that they don't think it is appropriate! My husband's mom tries to be supportive, but she also thinks my husband is being lazy because he isn't bringing home a paycheck. She is always suggesting he needs to find a part time job to bring home extra money. The man works his tail off! Taking care of three boys and a house is tough work. I find her attitude ironic since she was a stay at home mom to 3 kids. You just have to not let it bother you. You just need to do what is best for YOUR family!

When someone asks "him" what he does do for a living, all he has to do is say, (and this works wonderfully), trust me on this...

I own several apartment buildings. I don't need to work.

shuts them right up.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:16 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
I would love to be a stay at home dad, unfortunately, I made more money than my wife, so I work and she stays home with the kids. We did not want to put our kids into daycare centers, and with the high cost of daycare, you'd spend a good chunk of that second income on daycare anyways...its much better with a aprent raising the kids rather than the kids spending 9 hours a day in a daycare.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:22 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,871 times
Quote:
How Do You Guys Feel About Stay At Home Dads? Some People Think That Its Okay For A Man To Go Out And Work While The Woman Stays At Home. But If The Woman Goes Out And Gets A Job And The Man Stays Home Then He's A Loser? Why Is That? I Think Its Okay For A Man To Stay Home Just Like Its Okay For The Woman To Stay Home. Just Venting Let Me Know? CAUSE I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH TAKING CARE OF MY MAN AND MY KIDS, BESIDES TAKING CARE OF KIDS IS A JOB ALL IN ITS OWN

You and your husband are doing what is best for your family,
Im glad you have no problem with it, and your right, your husband does have a job, taking care of kids is one of the hardest job there is.
Its good you respect each other and know what marriage is about
Your kids get the best of both worlds,
I think your a real women

Old 07-04-2010, 07:57 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Society has changed and there is nothing wrong with fathers staying at home anymore. We are not hunting bears and dinasours where the physical strength of men was needed. Today a woman can be the breadwinners. To me the women that are against fathers staying at home simply are hypocrits because they want equal rights and all that stuff and yet do not support a man staying at home. They wanted to leave the home and work, fine, so let the men that want to leave work and stay home do the same, take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting