Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 08:30 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,237,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Well all I have to say that whatever you think you'll feel, you'll be off somewhat b/c whether we realize it or not, we have visions of that child's future and that doesn't include violence against your child for showing affection to someone that they love, in public. It doesn't include having that child fend off questions from well meaning folks about when she's going to get a boyfriend. But then the way I look at it is that we all have difficulties in life and this is one of them and the first thing I did was sit down with dd and explain that not everyone on earth finds her new love as charming as she did at the time and some will strike out and do horrible things to show their displeasure, so, as much as I hated to say it I warned against things like holding hands in public. I do hope she got the message and she was lucky to attend a high school that was accepting. The one I work in is not very accepting at all.
Yes. I understand that. I truly do. One poster used the word "devastated" and I wouldn't be. My family, like many, has known great tragedy. Being told someone is gay would pale in comparison to what we've gone through. Were there to be a big family sit-down and my child said he was gay I can imagine saying, "Is that all?" followed by a big sigh of relief that something like chemo isn't in his future.

That's just me. I suppose it's all relative to the other experiences you've had in life.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-14-2012 at 08:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 11:10 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,795,974 times
It is best that people whom are Homosexual come out oppose to decieving others to the extent of marriage and producing children. Recently I've seen a transgender woman once a man with two children (both under the age of ten).
This person continued his(now her) marriage with his wive although it appeared to place a huge stain on the wife they continued to TRY to maintain a marriage.

Although I would be hurt if my child were homsexual I would prefer the child come clean oppose to ruin the life of their possible children and spouse.

Truly believe I would be Devastated, this is my emotion. I would get over myself however this would be MY initial reaction.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:12 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,586,609 times

Old 08-14-2012, 12:22 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,211,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes. I understand that. I truly do. One poster used the word "devastated" and I wouldn't be. My family, like many, has known great tragedy. Being told someone is gay would pale in comparison to what we've gone through. Were there to be a big family sit-down and my child said he was gay I can imagine saying, "Is that all?" followed by a big sigh of relief that something like chemo isn't in his future.

That's just me. I suppose it's all relative to the other experiences you've had in life.
Yah "devestated" would be like my child DYING or something. But in my book, I would not even be disappointed except insofar as the rest of the world can still sometimes be closed minded and closed hearted to that which they don't understand.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:28 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,276,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Are you saying that 40 years ago parents wouldn't have tossed out their child because he was gay?

Forty years ago I KNEW kids who were tossed out of the house because they were gay. One died of AIDS and his father refused to visit him on his death bed because he was dying of a "gay disease". (He was cared for by a group of nuns, BTW. One held his hand and comforted him as he died in the middle of the night. They also helped pay for his burial so he wouldn't be cremated by the county and put in a pauper's grave.)
They wouldn't have been accused of being gay for not displaying alpha-male characteristics. With the increased acceptance of homosexuality has come increased pressure from society for any boy who differs from the norm (not into sports, etc) to come out as gay. Guys could also be closer with their guy friends without being accused of being in a homosexual relationship, while today two straight guys can't go to a nice restaurant together and if they go to a movie they have to leave an empty seat between them. The truth is not every guy who shows feminine characteristics is gay, and not every gay guy is feminine. I knew a guy who was not into sports, watched Glee, had a high pitched voice, and looked very boyish (sometimes a stereotypical sign of homosexuality) and he was completely straight. He is now married to a woman.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:31 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,211,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Well all I have to say that whatever you think you'll feel, you'll be off somewhat b/c whether we realize it or not, we have visions of that child's future.

The ONLY vision I have for my children is that they be the best them that they can be. And that they be able to provide a living for themselves that is full of character and integrity. All other choices are their own.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:33 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,616,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
They wouldn't have been accused of being gay for not displaying alpha-male characteristics. With the increased acceptance of homosexuality has come increased pressure from society for any boy who differs from the norm (not into sports, etc) to come out as gay. Guys could also be closer with their guy friends without being accused of being in a homosexual relationship, while today two straight guys can't go to a nice restaurant together and if they go to a movie they have to leave an empty seat between them. The truth is not every guy who shows feminine characteristics is gay, and not every gay guy is feminine. I knew a guy who was not into sports, watched Glee, had a high pitched voice, and looked very boyish (sometimes a stereotypical sign of homosexuality) and he was completely straight. He is now married to a woman.
Well said, bchris02. One of the many unintended consequences of the homosexualist movement has been the decline of straight male friendships. Another has been the rise of hyper-masculinity and the marginalization of ordinary men as you describe.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:08 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,909,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Well said, bchris02. One of the many unintended consequences of the homosexualist movement has been the decline of straight male friendships. Another has been the rise of hyper-masculinity and the marginalization of ordinary men as you describe.
Hmmm, "homosexualist movement" aside, none of the straight guys I know have avoided going places together or having friendships for fear of being perceived as gay, nor do any report feeling marginalized. What a very strange phenomenon you describe.

ETA: Oh, to answer the OP, no, children should not be thrown out of the house for their sexual orientation. It saddens me that this still happens.

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 08-14-2012 at 01:18 PM..

Old 08-14-2012, 01:27 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,965,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
With the increased acceptance of homosexuality has come increased pressure from society for any boy who differs from the norm (not into sports, etc) to come out as gay.
Seriously?

Old 08-14-2012, 01:45 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,237,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Well said, bchris02. One of the many unintended consequences of the homosexualist movement has been the decline of straight male friendships.
Oh, please.

Guys are still hanging out with each other in the man cave watching sports, drinking beer, spilling chips, belching loudly and yelling at the TV because they know more than the coach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting