Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 08:46 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Excellent post somebodynew! How true that we cannot control anyone but ourselves! I am going to read up on William Glass and Vicki Hoefle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 08:49 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Excellent post somebodynew! How true that we cannot control anyone but ourselves! I am going to read up on William Glass and Vicki Hoefle.

I wonder if she will pay me kick backs.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

Oh hey. Make no mistake, the program is HARD. The kids resist our attempts to change. And they fight to have the learning that that have done be confirmed. But in the end, peace reigns. Our morning routine is an indicator. I get up. I get the kids up. (They want to pick out their own alarm clocks.) I sip coffee, take a shower, get dressed. DH and I say, we're leaving. You guys riding? They get in the car. Lovin' it.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:57 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Oh hey. Make no mistake, the program is HARD. The kids resist our attempts to change. And they fight to have the learning that that have done be confirmed. But in the end, peace reigns. Our morning routine is an indicator. I get up. I get the kids up. (They want to pick out their own alarm clocks.) I sip coffee, take a shower, get dressed. DH and I say, we're leaving. You guys riding? They get in the car. Lovin' it.
Interested to know how you got to that point. What if the kid says NO, I'm not riding. I don't feel like going to school today. You can't leave a small child home alone just because he wants to, and allow him to suffer the "natural" consequence of missing school. One of the adults would also be forced to stay home to allow that to happen. So what would you do?

Serious question, really not trying to be an ass so I hope it doesn't sound that way.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Interested to know how you got to that point. What if the kid says NO, I'm not riding.
The how you get to that point is a 6 week training program plus a few weeks where we repeatedly screwed up. It would be impossible to write it in a post. If you are not into a $150 training program, there is a book called Duct Tape Parenting. The title is catchy, but it makes one think that the entire program is about not saying anything. The title does not really indicate what TO do.

Quote:
I don't feel like going to school today. You can't leave a small child home alone just because he wants to, and allow him to suffer the "natural" consequence of missing school.
During re-training, which I thankfully did when the kids were still small enough, I would have picked them up in whatever their current state was, pjs, unfed, whatever, and stuffed them in the car. I can choose MY reactions to them. But then the trainign class comes with sign on to a forum that Vicki checks every day. You can ask questions like that yourself.

Quote:
One of the adults would also be forced to stay home to allow that to happen. So what would you do?

Serious question, really not trying to be an ass so I hope it doesn't sound that way.

I know. It's all good.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:50 AM

P.S. I am glad that the book was not available when I bought the training program. I don't think I would have learned as well reading an entire book and trying to absorb it. But the early stages of the program are, well, chaotic. Intentionally chaotic, or necessarily chaotic. But chaotic.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:58 AM

442 posts, read 615,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
During re-training, which I thankfully did when the kids were still small enough, I would have picked them up in whatever their current state was, pjs, unfed, whatever, and stuffed them in the car. I can choose MY reactions to them. But then the trainign class comes with sign on to a forum that Vicki checks every day. You can ask questions like that yourself.

I know. It's all good.
I'm fortunate in that I've never really had the getting out the door battles in the morning...so perhaps I don't have much perspective.

I can't see hauling a kid out in PJs without breakfast though.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspentree View Post
I'm fortunate in that I've never really had the getting out the door battles in the morning...so perhaps I don't have much perspective.

It is a step in a journey. I sure would not want to stay there! Who is responsible for the kids' breakfast?

Old 08-31-2012, 12:48 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspentree View Post

All you have to do is grab something they can eat on the run (granola bar or similar) and grab their clothes. You only have to do it once. Once the kids know that you will let them go to school in PJs they do what they are supposed to do. Kids also do what we expect them to do. So if we act like they are little delinquents they they will be. If we treat them as if we expect them to succeed then they will (as long as our expectations are reasonable).

Old 08-31-2012, 02:48 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,883,196 times
I think in some cases the issue is that children have to take control because the parents aren't doing their jobs. They have to step up and do responsiblities that parents should be doing. In some cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting