Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 07:26 AM

571 posts, read 1,303,586 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure our 13 year old found our gift stash and went through it.

I know this is common, and I should just let it go, but I'm kind of upset about it. When this happens (if it does) at what age does it happen, and what, if anything, do you do about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 07:28 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Hide them better.
Honestly...I am not being snide or snappy or whatever.
But you know how it's going to be now, the curiosity can be insatiable, and you simply need to hide them better.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:39 AM

571 posts, read 1,303,586 times
I agree, stan4. I should clarify. What bothers me is that he deliberately locked us out of the house. We were running a quick errand, and did not take our keys. He knew we were coming right back. When we were gone, he had locked the door, and we were standing out in the freezing (or close to it) cold. He heard us banging on the door, and he said "Umm, just a minute." And continued to not come to the door. I don't think he meant anything cruel by it, but I think he needs to be spoken to about it. His father disagrees. I am the stepmother, BTW. Not looking to get into an evil stepmother thread, just trying to figure out if I should speak up or not.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:41 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
You could exchange some things and pull a switcheroo, if you're disappointed that the surprise is ruined. Snooping is not OK in any case, so I know you will want to address that. If your kid isn't normally a snoop, chalk it up to insatiable curiosity and hope for better next year. And yes, find a good hiding spot.

I was a snoop as a kid. I was home alone in the afternoons and bored. Trust me, spoiling the surprise is worst for the snoop. You lose the anticipation, and you can't play with or use the gift or even acknowledge that you know what it is. Maybe your teen taught himself or herself a lesson.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:47 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1 View Post
What bothers me is that he deliberately locked us out of the house.
That part is weird, but it also is a lesson for you about this time of year. As for the snooping, let it go. His Christmas now will be pretty anticlimactic, which will be his "reward" for snooping.

But next time, hide them better. The older they get, the harder you have to work.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:48 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1 View Post
he deliberately locked us out of the house. We were running a quick errand, and did not take our keys. He knew we were coming right back. When we were gone, he had locked the door, and we were standing out in the freezing (or close to it) cold. He heard us banging on the door, and he said "Umm, just a minute." And continued to not come to the door.
THIS is what you talk to him about. He should have been told how unacceptable locking you out is the moment you walked through the door.

Kids snoop. But locking the parents out of the house and making them wait in the cold until he decides to let them in or the coast is clear or whatever..... yeah. Right.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:55 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
That part is weird, but it also is a lesson for you about this time of year. As for the snooping, let it go. His Christmas now will be pretty anticlimactic, which will be his "reward" for snooping.

But next time, hide them better. The older they get, the harder you have to work.
I agree with this, he basically ruined it for himself. I wouldn't make a big deal out of the snooping either.

One of my best hiding spots was inside the suitcases stacked in the storage room. Worst? Under any bed.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:59 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times
Just curious - how do you know for sure he snooped? Just wondering.

Locking you out of the house is not okay, but are sure he wasn't doing something else?

I'll agree with the others - let it go because he ruined it for himself. I remember we snooped one year. As a gang. There were four of us. I was the youngest and I think they talked me into doing the dirty work. At that point the gifts were already wrapped and under the tree and they talked me into pealing off tape and being the fall guy......

Old 12-14-2012, 09:41 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,937,875 times
I snooped one year (about the same age) and went back to the scene of the crime because my first snooping took place early in the month of December and I knew there was more to come. When I went back for my second look, I found a letter from my mother that said she knew that I had snooped and was sorry for me because she also knew that my Christmas morning would lack the surprise element that helped to make it special other years. She hoped that I would spend the days until Christmas reflecting on what Christmas was really about and how giving and receiving were essentially gifts among people who cared for each other.

I have NEVER snooped again. Ever!!!

Old 12-14-2012, 09:50 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,012,251 times
My Son went thru that phase. But mostly I ship stuff to my office, and when I got him a 'big' gift, I left it @ work in our package room. On Christmas Eve after he was asleep I came to work, got it, and brought it home and under the tree.

He was totally surprised. At that point I know he had 'found' the few other things, Mostly clothing. So he was searching big time, since he sort knew there is alway a 'big' gift.
And he could not find it.

(16 now) And he been hinting.. .where is his Gift hidden.. (I have not gotten it (and not sure what I'm getting him yet) yet.

Also @13 maybe he was doing something else that he did not want to be interrupted at, thats why he locked the doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting