Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 03:13 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,311,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leerabian View Post
Cant parents who think like this just love kids for their personality and who they are as opposed to how they look? And if you say that looks are 'the icing on the cake' to a good personality then you need to rethink your morals. I find it quite hypocritical how looks dont matter only when the personality sucks.
Mostly loved all the other replies to this thread and they are all correct in their views. To add to the discussion...is is the science of cute.

It turns out that the science of cute is far more interesting than you’d think. Cuteness is evolution’s devious way of getting you to look after your offspring.

The science of cute

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 03:54 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,297,748 times
Quote:
My main question is 'Why do parents tell their kids that a persons looks aren't important, but turn around and get carried away by their 'cuteness'?'
I don't know "who" you've heard saying that to their kids?

The photo you posted represents a kid from another country; with a different culture, and social status...its not cute...its uneducated considering that nobody told that kid he's too young to be smoking.

Kids are "cute" when they do "cute things"...I don't tell mine their cute 24/7 for no apparent reason!!!!!
Also saying a kid they're "cute" doesn't mean encouraging vanity-like behaviors! I don't tell my kids he's cute when he makes a mess our of something! Unless you are referring to Honey BooBoo's parents which in that case she is neither cute nor educated!!!!!!!! but those are trailer trash people, so we shouldn't expect a lot from them...they grew up in an uneducated environment, without common sense, values etc.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:07 AM

1,559 posts, read 2,369,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Because otherwise we'd forget to feed them, or exchange them for a burrito, or leave them on the bus.
Right on!

Old 02-10-2013, 04:56 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,201,871 times
Because kids, especially babies, are really cute! Most parents think so, and that's why they decided to become parents. Those who think that babies are annoying and disgusting often choose to not have kids.

Telling your kids that looks shouldn't matter usually comes at a later stage. It may come when your child is overly concerned about teenage acne or too competitive in wanting to become prom queen. Young children do not care about looks that much, so there aren't many reasons to tell them that looks don't matter. In fact, telling them looks don't matter will probably just make them sloppier. I did have to explain to my daughter once that there are people born differently and it's not polite to ask about other people's looks when she started asking another child who apparently has a congenital eye defect, on why her eyes are different. She did not think of it as anything other than different though, but have to stop her from offending the child or her parents.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:00 AM

96 posts, read 112,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I don't know "who" you've heard saying that to their kids?

The photo you posted represents a kid from another country; with a different culture, and social status...its not cute...its uneducated considering that nobody told that kid he's too young to be smoking.

Kids are "cute" when they do "cute things"...I don't tell mine their cute 24/7 for no apparent reason!!!!!
Also saying a kid they're "cute" doesn't mean encouraging vanity-like behaviors! I don't tell my kids he's cute when he makes a mess our of something! Unless you are referring to Honey BooBoo's parents which in that case she is neither cute nor educated!!!!!!!! but those are trailer trash people, so we shouldn't expect a lot from them...they grew up in an uneducated environment, without common sense, values etc.
hitler did some cute things as a baby....yet look how he turned out

Old 02-10-2013, 05:01 AM

96 posts, read 112,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Because kids, especially babies, are really cute! Most parents think so, and that's why they decided to become parents. Those who think that babies are annoying and disgusting often choose to not have kids.

Telling your kids that looks shouldn't matter usually comes at a later stage. It may come when your child is overly concerned about teenage acne or too competitive in wanting to become prom queen. Young children do not care about looks that much, so there aren't many reasons to tell them that looks don't matter. In fact, telling them looks don't matter will probably just make them sloppier. I did have to explain to my daughter once that there are people born differently and it's not polite to ask about other people's looks when she started asking another child who apparently has a congenital eye defect, on why her eyes are different. She did not think of it as anything other than different though, but have to stop her from offending the child or her parents.
did you get into a relationshio based on looks.?

Old 02-10-2013, 05:39 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,201,871 times
Quote:
did you get into a relationshio based on looks.?
Yes, but never solely based on looks.

Anyway, I do think that looks do matter. Personality matters too. Parents think their kids are even cuter when they look and behave like their "mini me". Parents are also more forgiving and understanding if their kids' mistakes are similar to their own mistakes when they were that age.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:32 PM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
To be honest I didn't think one of my babies was cute at all. He is now a handsome man but he wasn't a cute baby by any means. He was one of those people who needed to grow into themselves, if you know what I mean.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:36 PM

88,523 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
To be honest I didn't think one of my babies was cute at all. He grew into a good looking boy and a handsome man but he wasn't a cute baby by any means.
After my mother-in-law died, my husband's sister gave him a packet of a bunch of old photographs of his parents and the family and especially of him as a child. She'd divvied them all up for the siblings.

So my husband's going through them, and he comes across an old black-and-white baby pic of himself, and he really did not look like an appealing little baby in the photo. He turned it over, and on the back his mother had written, "Joe at 8 months. Cuter now."

Old 02-11-2013, 08:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Cant parents who think like this just love kids for their personality and who they are as opposed to how they look? And if you say that looks are 'the icing on the cake' to a good personality then you need to rethink your morals. I find it quite hypocritical how looks dont matter only when the personality sucks.
Cute does not always apply just to looks, we all know people who have winning personalities or certain expressions that make them cute, but they may not actually have cute facial features. kids are cute, they might be ugly but they are still cute, just like puppies and kittens..

As for looks mattering, in the real world, like it or not, they do make a difference. They always have and always will.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting