Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 08:56 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,125,207 times

Advertisements

I pay the cable bill and my son pays for the cell phones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 10:50 PM

60 posts, read 143,053 times
I'm in college and my mom pays my phone bill sometimes. I haven't asked my mom for money since the first few weeks of college when I was still getting settled. I have money saved up to pay my rent and phone bill through next February but some months I go to pay my bill and she's already paid it. She doesn't think I need to be completely independent at 20 and feels bad that I never ask her for anything. I dont think its as hard as people make it seem to manage money. You bring in 500 a month, your expenses are 480, you save 10, you have 10 to spend. I learned it without any real hardships. I don't think my mom paying my phone bill sometimes is gonna make me an entitled brat but maybe that's just me.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:46 AM

37,145 posts, read 42,240,055 times
My adult kids are on a group plan with their dad (we aren't together anymore) and he pays that bill for them. I guess he feels good doing it and maybe it relieves a little guilt. I made a conscious choice to not go down that road and got a prepaid plan for myself a few years back, it's all I need and I can't add anyone. There are plans available now that encourage people to add others and if it makes financial sense I have no problem with anyone doing that!

I give my kids, and another young man, an AAA membership each year for their birthday. Only my youngest is piggybacking off my membership, because he lives with me. The others have their memberships in their own name and are not tied to my account.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:34 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
We just stopped with our two oldest. They are 23. The only way there would have a cell was if we paid for it. We wanted them to have a cell for safety and communication. There are no pay phones and fewer and fewer people have land lines anymore. Besides if they had a land line instead while in college, we would have to pay for that anyway.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:42 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,823,034 times
Our two oldest kids are high school seniors, off to college in the fall - we'll keep them on the family plan and pay their portion until they graduate from college. It's not a great expense, but it is a need and we can certainly afford it. The same will be true for our younger child who is now in tenth grade.

After college? No, then we won't pay it, even though we certainly could afford it and even though it would still be cheaper per line for them to be on our family plan. Why? Because by then they'll be done with the studying portion of their life and it will be time for us to cut the last financial ties. They will be better for having those last lines cut (even if their budget itself isn't the better for it).

Old 01-09-2022, 12:29 AM

7 posts, read 4,837 times
I don’t have kids myself but I do think kids these days are too spoiled by their parents. A lot of parents probably already provide their kids by buying them their first car and paying their college. And they want to pay their cell phones too? It doesn’t matter if it’s cheaper if the kids are on your plan. Do you want your kid to succeed on their own without you? It doesn’t seem like it….

I would feel bad to have a nice house and tell people: “I have this beautiful nice house but thanks to mommy and daddy who helped with the down payment”. I personally like to have my own achievements and not have a successful life because my parents rescued me.
Parents are so weird these days. They want to be helicopter parents because “oh no, my child shouldn’t pay a cell phone. It’s too much. My child cannot suffer. No no no no no”
Why did you chose to have a child if you think the world is too though for them? We all need to make sacrifices, work hard for things,go through hardships. That’s life!
I understand that you love your kids, but Jesus christ let them GROW UP!! Just remember that one day you’ll be gone. What will your kid do? Finally it will hit them that now they have to pay for something they were never used to. They WILL face the hardships of this world even if you don’t like it.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:17 AM

23,875 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemoon741 View Post
I don’t have kids myself but I do think kids these days are too spoiled by their parents. A lot of parents probably already provide their kids by buying them their first car and paying their college. And they want to pay their cell phones too? It doesn’t matter if it’s cheaper if the kids are on your plan. Do you want your kid to succeed on their own without you? It doesn’t seem like it….

I would feel bad to have a nice house and tell people: “I have this beautiful nice house but thanks to mommy and daddy who helped with the down payment”. I personally like to have my own achievements and not have a successful life because my parents rescued me.
Parents are so weird these days. They want to be helicopter parents because “oh no, my child shouldn’t pay a cell phone. It’s too much. My child cannot suffer. No no no no no”
Why did you chose to have a child if you think the world is too though for them? We all need to make sacrifices, work hard for things,go through hardships. That’s life!
I understand that you love your kids, but Jesus christ let them GROW UP!! Just remember that one day you’ll be gone. What will your kid do? Finally it will hit them that now they have to pay for something they were never used to. They WILL face the hardships of this world even if you don’t like it.

Welcome to city-data. Some how you managed to find a thread that's close to 10 years old, started March, 2013. lol I don't doubt parents are helping adult kids due to COVID, people being out of work.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:27 AM

17,403 posts, read 16,553,894 times
Quote:

There are grown adults, and I mean 30/40/50 year olds, who work full time and complain that they can't afford to save for their own retirements or make payments on their own student loan debt. Heck, they might still be on their parents' cellphone plans if the truth were told.

Yet, you choose to go off on the parents who keep their HS and college kids on their family cellphone plans to collectively save money as a family while the kids are full time students? Maybe the parents pay for their kids' cellphones because they want to be able to reach their kids when they need to.

Humans aren't sea turtles who drop their eggs in the sand and then swim back out into the ocean to continue living their good lives, leaving their babies to fend for themselves.

Having a child is a commitment and good parents do what they can to help get their children launched in life.

Life is hard enough without deliberately going out of your way to make things even harder for your own kids.

Old 01-12-2022, 10:06 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
I was under my father's plan throughout part of law school. Fed up with losing service for a day every month or every other month because he paid the bill a day late (which always seemed to happen when I was expecting an important call for an internship or something similar), I got my own plan. Plus, I didn't like that my father would have access to (if he wanted) my phone records, so for privacy reasons the switch made sense, too.

Old 01-13-2022, 09:00 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:

Question. The first sentence in your second paragraph. Why would you disclose where you got the down payment for the house? Why would you voluntarily make that anyone else’s business? Also, working in banking for 11 years, it is very common for first time homebuyers to get down payment assistance from their parents or other family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting