Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 08:01 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,874,171 times

Advertisements

I agree with the "Take her to the bathroom with you" and "Forgo the shower" suggestions.

You would leave your four year old alone? Moms take four year old boys into the women's room and dads take four year old girls into the men's room.

I cannot wrap my head around leaving a four year old locked in a camper. Things happen. Four year olds are curious. Unless you are gone under 60 seconds, I wouldn't think that you are quick enough. If the game warden or camp manager comes by, you are in deep sh*t for child endangerment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 09:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,818,376 times
If she's very trustworthy and you take a quick shower, I don't see the problem with her staying in the camper.

In many campgrounds, the buildings might just have 2 or 3 showers and it might be okay to just bring her in especially if you know there are no others in the building. Also in many campgrounds, people are quite friendly - it's possible your camping neighbors would watch your daughter for a few minutes, especially if they also have kids.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:16 AM

18 posts, read 23,121 times
Men's rooms are different from women's rooms, but as as single mom, I'd take my boys with me when they were little. If that is too awkward, make sure she is sound asleep and go very quickly. If she knows you are leaving and knows how to use it, give her a cell phone and keep one for yourself so she can call you to come back if she gets scared or anything strange happens.

Better still, bring an adult or older child friend along to keep her company and to help out with situations like that.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:14 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,627,276 times
If you have to shower take her with you. You guys can just wear your swim suits.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:28 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,951,408 times
I could not leave my child even for a minute in a campground at that age (even in a trailer). It's just too risky. All it takes is a minute for something bad to happen and you would NEVER forgive yourself.

Camping is about camping :-) Make it fun for her and teach her that at one point and time people didn't have all these fancy modern day conveniences. Show her how they probably washed up (with a jug of water and a rag) back in the day. Use a portable potty and explain to her about outhouses. Camping is such a beautiful experience and it is one that many of us remember fondly from our childhood and continue to do in our adulthood. It gives you a great appreciation for what you have today, how our forefathers lived and most importantly it makes you appreciate the true beauty in this world :-)

Old 08-16-2013, 03:55 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,774,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
If you have to shower take her with you. You guys can just wear your swim suits.
Good point!

Old 08-16-2013, 05:59 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,117,464 times
My concern about being the only adult on a trip like this would be ... what would this child do if some kind of accident or emergency happened to you?

And NEVER leave a child that young unattended "even for a minute" in a campground.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:34 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,992,934 times
in fact. never ever allow your child to leave her bedroom. that is the only place you can keep her safe.

or you can take reasonable risks and let her have a nice childhood.

I took our twins camping every year from age 3 through 13. no issues. I even went to sleep at night! sometimes they went and played with new friends at a neighboring campsite wjile I took a nap or shower. just like they did at home. really, it is not different from being at home. What do you do when home with your daughter and you need to take s shower?

camping is no different as lo ng as you use some common sense

Old 08-17-2013, 12:53 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,874,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
in fact. never ever allow your child to leave her bedroom. that is the only place you can keep her safe.

or you can take reasonable risks and let her have a nice childhood.

I took our twins camping every year from age 3 through 13. no issues. I even went to sleep at night! sometimes they went and played with new friends at a neighboring campsite wjile I took a nap or shower. just like they did at home. really, it is not different from being at home. What do you do when home with your daughter and you need to take s shower?

camping is no different as lo ng as you use some common sense
OP, consider if you let your 4 year old go on play dates with children and parents that you have just met. (usually, aren't they are neighbors or friends that you already know?)
At home, is your shower down the road? (Like home would be if you had a shower in your camper)
At home, would you ever leave your 4 year old home alone while you went to the store? Even if you were going to be quick?
Camping is more dangerous than living at home; strangers, wild animals, easier to get lost, easier access to knives and fire.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:53 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,117,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
That's quite a leap. .

Nobody can take you seriously when you jerk your knee like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting