Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 09:55 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,777,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
in fact. never ever allow your child to leave her bedroom. that is the only place you can keep her safe.

or you can take reasonable risks and let her have a nice childhood.

I took our twins camping every year from age 3 through 13. no issues. I even went to sleep at night! sometimes they went and played with new friends at a neighboring campsite wjile I took a nap or shower. just like they did at home. really, it is not different from being at home. What do you do when home with your daughter and you need to take s shower?

camping is no different as lo ng as you use some common sense
I'm with you. I wonder what kind of campgrounds people have been in that they think they're so dangerous. In a lot of campgrounds, you can be near the building with the showers or in direct view of one.

A camping trailer can be locked -- if you're really that afraid of all the other campers but if you're truly that afraid, then why go camping? The whole thing about staying in a tent is that you're not supposed to be overly paranoid and scared.

You could always check with the campground host to ask how much crime there is. Campgrounds are probably safer places than most neighborhoods. People are outdoors more, they're going to observe and people are usually friendly and I would think you can find a family with kids quite easily who would let the child sit in their campsite for a few minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 12:52 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,922,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Camping is more dangerous than living at home; strangers, wild animals, easier to get lost, easier access to knives and fire.
Apparently someone has never been camping.

Refer back to the part about "as long as you use common sense."

BTW Showers do not need to be "down the road and usually are not. When camping with littles you usually choose a campsite right next the the bathroom so you do not wake other campers rushing through their site on the way to the potty at mid night (and 3 a.m. and 4:30 and 6:25. . .). As I said, they can stand at or in the doorway for a few minutes while you go #2 or shower.

When Camping, I actually often know our neighbors better than at home. The reaosn is you see and hear them all the time, you kknow how they treat their kids, you share their fire/smores, coffee, or they yours. Camping is a very social activity, it is not like living at home. Give it a try sometime. Kids learn a lot from camping. Usually a lot more than they learn at home.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:55 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,869,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Apparently someone has never been camping.

Refer back to the part about "as long as you use common sense."

BTW Showers do not need to be "down the road and usually are not. When camping with littles you usually choose a campsite right next the the bathroom so you do not wake other campers rushing through their site on the way to the potty at mid night (and 3 a.m. and 4:30 and 6:25. . .). As I said, they can stand at or in the doorway for a few minutes while you go #2 or shower.

When Camping, I actually often know our neighbors better than at home. The reaosn is you see and hear them all the time, you kknow how they treat their kids, you share their fire/smores, coffee, or they yours. Camping is a very social activity, it is not like living at home. Give it a try sometime. Kids learn a lot from camping. Usually a lot more than they learn at home.
We have been camping lots of times. The camp sites we use tend to have a central bathroom with camping loops off of that area. There are no camp sites next to the bathroom. Or, the bathrooms are more like large port-a-potties and you have no desire to be near those things.

We have camped by families that I would never leave my children with. You never know who you will get as neighbors, if you get any.

I stand by what I said about a four year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting