Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 09:17 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
He's dirtying a lot of diapers, that is for sure! I think you hit it on the growth spurt - that could definitely be why he is nursing so much. She has a breast pump, but he sucks her completely dry - there's nothing left to pump. We were in a bit of a bind when I was minding him for an hour or so (she and her DH had to run out) and he wanted to eat, and there was nothing I could do about it. Her fear is that if he's supplmented with formula, he won't want breast milk anymore. As for comfort feeding, she won't give him a pacifier either - she's afraid he'll be one of those "big kids" of three or four walking around with a pacifier in his mouth...

She's lucky in that she runs her own business and can take him to work with her so she can pretty much feed him as needed, though it's been tough lately because he cries so much (luckily she has nice understanding customers). He's her baby, and I'll just support her and help her as much as I can...it's bound to get better.

"Baby led" is what she calls her plan for feeding him solids - waiting until the baby shows interest in food - plays with it, fingers the texture, then puts it in his mouth. She has a Baby Bullet and will not allow him to eat any commercially manufactured baby food. She owns a health food/supplement business, which is why she is on to all the new practices (that seem a bit odd to us older moms). It's hard for me to make comparisons, because at his age I had started his mom on cereal and she never fussed.
If I remember right there is a big growth spurt at 2 months (and again at 3 months and 6 months and I think 9 months). Pumping doesn't show how much of a milk supply she has - some mums have a great supply but still can't get anything out with a pump as pumps just aren't as efficient as a baby (I could never get anything out with the pump, or even by hand)

With Baby Led Weaning most babies start showing an interest in food between 5 and 7 months and it usually happens after they are able to sit unaided and have the pincer grasp so they can pick up the food themselves rather than needing to be spoonfed. A lot of mums follow it because it lessens the risk of choking (as a baby sitting up by itself is less likely to choke than a baby propped up, and feeding themselves food which they chew first is likely to choke them than a spoonful of cereal or baby mush). Its a pretty popular method at the moment and lots of mums swear by it (plus it makes things easier for mum, as baby can just eat the same food as the rest of the family)

Old 01-07-2014, 09:34 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,262,599 times
OP - If I had a dime for every person that told me to give my baby cereal starting as early as two weeks, I would be a weathly woman. Studies have shown that feeding "food" to infants earlier than 6 months can lead to certain chronic diseases. As long as my children were growing, I adhered to this. Did Mother nature get this so wrong? Sheesh, people have survived and thrived for thousands of years before baby cereal. Nothing irritated me more than anything was people saying "I gave my kids "x" and they turned out fine".

Old 01-07-2014, 09:46 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
OP - If I had a dime for every person that told me to give my baby cereal starting as early as two weeks, I would be a weathly woman. Studies have shown that feeding "food" to infants earlier than 6 months can lead to certain chronic diseases. As long as my children were growing, I adhered to this. Did Mother nature get this so wrong? Sheesh, people have survived and thrived for thousands of years before baby cereal. Nothing irritated me more than anything was people saying "I gave my kids "x" and they turned out fine".

I was floored when my mother told me she'd fed me cereal at TWO WEEKS. What was up with that? She said that was the norm back then, and the doctor had instructed her to do it.

A friend of mine (who is younger and has done breastfeeding herself) mentioned that my daughter's milk may not be "rich" enough, and though he is eating a lot, he may not be satisfied with it? She said to have her pump it out, put it in the refrigerator, and "test" it. If it forms a layer of cream on top, it is rich enough. If it looks bluish (skim), it is not.

Anyone hear of this? I was thinking of suggesting my daughter try this. Not that he's leaving her anything to pump out right now.

The baby had his checkup last week, and the doctor is pleased with the progress of his growth. We'll just wait and see. I think she's been doing a good job so far. His being hungry and crying so much just worries us. I do notice, though, that he fusses less and goes to sleep when I hold him - is it because he doesn't smell milk on me?

Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement and good advice!

Old 01-07-2014, 09:49 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
I was floored when my mother told me she'd fed me cereal at TWO WEEKS. What was up with that? She said that was the norm back then, and the doctor had instructed her to do it.

A friend of mine (who is younger and has done breastfeeding herself) mentioned that my daughter's milk may not be "rich" enough, and though he is eating a lot, he may not be satisfied with it? She said to have her pump it out, put it in the refrigerator, and "test" it. If it forms a layer of cream on top, it is rich enough. If it looks bluish (skim), it is not.

Anyone hear of this? I was thinking of suggesting my daughter try this. Not that he's leaving her anything to pump out right now.

The baby had his checkup last week, and the doctor is pleased with the progress of his growth.
We'll just wait and see. I think she's been doing a good job so far.

Bolded and diapers are all you need. The rest is unnecessary and damaging self doubt and worry.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:49 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times
Quote:
I'm a new grandmother, and my daughter is breastfeeding my two-month-old grandson. I know they now say it is best for the child, but I'm concerned that he may not be getting enough to eat. I've spent a good chunk of the past two weeks at her house, over the holidays, and he seems to be nursing on an average of at least 20 minutes an hour. She can't put him down or get anything done. He's constantly crying and "searching". He's always hungry and seems like he's always latched or fussing.

He is a big baby - he was almost 10 pounds at birth, and is gaining adequately so far - but I think he's not getting enough to eat. She is adamant about continuing to breastfeed until he's at least a year old - and I'm all for it - but I think she should supplement with some forumula so he's satisfied. She also wants to forego feeding him solids for as long as possible.

I'm sorry if I sound ignorant - I did not breastfeed any of my children and never endured the frustration of an unsatisfied baby. I started mine on solids at 2 to 3 months. I try not to put in my "two cents", but my mother (the baby's great-grandma) and his other grandmother (my daughter's mother-in-law) share my opinion. Neither of these ladies breastfed their children either. Great-grandma thinks he's ready for cereal (she started ME on it at TWO WEEKS at the doctor's instruction), but my daughter says, NO cereal, it is NOT what babies are fed as their first solid now. She wants to wait until he starts "expressing interest" in solid food.

Any opinions from more "recent" moms out there?
He's gaining weight adequately and having poopie diapers, so he is doing well. Breastfed babies have a different feeding pattern than formula fed babies; not every four hours but on demand.

My sister started her first baby on cereal at 5 days, and the baby is now an obese adult. Her younger brother started the first week as well and has numerous digestive issues. The doctors suggest waiting until at least 4 months before starting any solid foods.

You daughter sounds like an intelligent woman that has done her homework on how to best feed her child. Trust her and support her.

I would suggest that YOU read a book on lactation and educate yourself. Ask your daughter to suggest a book for you. You will learn about breastfeeding and earn brownie points from your daughter from your wanting to be more knowledgable.

Good luck to your daughter and blessings on your grandson.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:50 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
What you described sounds perfectly normal to me for a 2 month old. Breastfed babies typically nurse frequently for food, as well as for comfort. If she has chosen not to give baby a pacifier for comfort, then it is fine that baby takes comfort at the breast instead. A pacifier, after all, is just a plastic substitute for mom, and she is choosing to give him the real thing.

Regarding solids/cereal, the earliest they are recommended these days is at 4 months old if you are feeding cereal. Many resources recommend waiting until at least 6 months instead (particularly in breastfed babies), in which case you can skip cereal and go straight to other foods. She may be interested in baby-led weaning (note that "weaning" in this sense is in the British use of the term, to mean adding foods besides breastmilk, not the American use of the term which typically means ceasing breastfeeding), which is typically where you don't even feed purees, just "whole" foods. They have a saying about solids: Under one, just for fun.

Here are some links you may find useful:
Kellymom: How often should baby be nursing? (Kellymom is a *great* resource for all things breastfeeding)
http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

La Leche League: How can I tell if baby is getting enough milk?
LLLI | How can I tell if my baby is getting enough milk?

Wikipedia: Baby-led Weaning
Baby-led weaning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm pretty active on forums about breastfeeding, and we very frequently hear complaints from moms such as your daughter, about how their older relatives are pressuring them to supplement with formula and/or solids. What you feel is certainly not unusual given your generation and experience, but I'm glad that you brought your concerns here to get answers before burdening your daughter with these comments.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:55 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
Regarding the "test" involving pumping and seeing how much fat forms when it settles, there is really no need to do that, and it wouldn't give you meaningful information anyway, as that will change at different times of the day and depending on how long it has been since baby nursed and for how many minutes a mom pumps.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:14 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
He's dirtying a lot of diapers, that is for sure! I think you hit it on the growth spurt - that could definitely be why he is nursing so much. She has a breast pump, but he sucks her completely dry - there's nothing left to pump. We were in a bit of a bind when I was minding him for an hour or so (she and her DH had to run out) and he wanted to eat, and there was nothing I could do about it. Her fear is that if he's supplmented with formula, he won't want breast milk anymore. As for comfort feeding, she won't give him a pacifier either - she's afraid he'll be one of those "big kids" of three or four walking around with a pacifier in his mouth...

She's lucky in that she runs her own business and can take him to work with her so she can pretty much feed him as needed, though it's been tough lately because he cries so much (luckily she has nice understanding customers). He's her baby, and I'll just support her and help her as much as I can...it's bound to get better.

"Baby led" is what she calls her plan for feeding him solids - waiting until the baby shows interest in food - plays with it, fingers the texture, then puts it in his mouth. She has a Baby Bullet and will not allow him to eat any commercially manufactured baby food. She owns a health food/supplement business, which is why she is on to all the new practices (that seem a bit odd to us older moms). It's hard for me to make comparisons, because at his age I had started his mom on cereal and she never fussed.
While I can understand your daughter's concern about formula, actually most babies prefer breast milk and some even refuse to take formula. At his age, now that nursing is established, it will not hurt her supply to give him an occasional bottle of formula. I speak from experience on this.

I wouldn't worry about her ideas about solids just yet; she may change her mind as the baby gets older/bigger, or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
If he's gaining weight according to what the growth charts say is normal for him, don't worry. In other words, since he was born at 95th percentile in weight, if he's still 95th percentile for his age, he's fine. But if he's dropping down on the chart significantly, he may not be fine. What did the pedi say at the last checkup?

<snip>
Babies can change percentiles a bit, too. There is a formula, but most peds just look at the trend and take the whole child into account.

Quote:

The baby had his checkup last week, and the doctor is pleased with the progress of his growth. We'll just wait and see. I think she's been doing a good job so far. His being hungry and crying so much just worries us. I do notice, though, that he fusses less and goes to sleep when I hold him - is it because he doesn't smell milk on me?

I wouldn't worry about the richness of the breast milk. Unless the mother is malnourished, breast milk is remarkably consistent.

Some babies are just fussers. I had two.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:25 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
While I can understand your daughter's concern about formula, actually most babies prefer breast milk and some even refuse to take formula. At his age, now that nursing is established, it will not hurt her supply to give him an occasional bottle of formula. I speak from experience on this.
IMO you speak from one lucky data point. By six months it might be fine. But 2 months is too early to make this assumption.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
IMO you speak from one lucky data point. By six months it might be fine. But 2 months is too early to make this assumption.
I have more than one data point. I have about 30 years' experience in pediatric nursing, plus my own two kids.

If the mom can't pump anything, formula is the only option when she's not available.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-07-2014 at 11:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting