Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 01:21 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
unless your kid is about to get physical with you never call the cops. i get this tough love crap about call te cops on your kid or your enabling them or whatever someone may say but you call the cops on your kid for a bag of weed and they got a record, can't get student aid, can't get many jobs. then the kid will defeinately be living with you forever or resenting you forever
The kid needs help and a new place to live.
Not a record so he can't get jobs or into schools or whatever.
Yeah limit his career choices to the local mcdonalds or under the table work because no one wants to hire someone with a record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 01:37 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
We were told at an early age that when we turned 18 we were out the door. Job or not, finished with school or not we were out. 18 year olds are adults and parents dont take care of adults.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
We were told at an early age that when we turned 18 we were out the door. Job or not, finished with school or not we were out. 18 year olds are adults and parents dont take care of adults.
Yeah that's real cool.
Would have sucked for me I turned 18 a week into my senior year.
I also missed a whole semester due to mono, my doctor would not clear me to go back to school because my spleen was so enlarged.

I would have been up shizz creek with no paddle.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:04 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
unless your kid is about to get physical with you never call the cops. i get this tough love crap about call te cops on your kid or your enabling them or whatever someone may say but you call the cops on your kid for a bag of weed and they got a record, can't get student aid, can't get many jobs. then the kid will defeinately be living with you forever or resenting you forever
I would call the cops if my adult kid is trying to intimidate me by destroying my property --- I wouldn't put up with that. At that point, they are an adult and know full well what they're doing -- destroying my home is not acceptable. My kids are fine though -- they don't give me grief like this.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
The kid needs help and a new place to live.
Not a record so he can't get jobs or into schools or whatever.
Yeah limit his career choices to the local mcdonalds or under the table work because no one wants to hire someone with a record.
An adult can make his or her own choices on whether to get a record or not. Intentionally destroy my property? I'm supposed to just meekly stand there and allow it? I don't think so.

As for your situation with your mother, why were you standing there keeping her from closing the door? Not that she was right -- but as an adult, if you weren't happy with something, you could have just packed your things and moved out rather than get into physical alterations with her in her home.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I'm not nearly that harsh -- but at about age 14 or before, I start showing my kids where the door is and reminding them that there is only 4 years left, even in a joking way if they complain about something -- "soon you'll be 18 and can be living on your own...."

My kids actually get nicer as they reach that age. Nothing left to argue about, no reason to fight or rebel -- the door is right there, they're free to leave. None have however left right at age 18 but they don't make my life miserable either. They can be my house guests as long as they're the kind of house guests I can tolerate.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:19 PM

Yeah for us it was "you follow our rules unconditionally and without question. If you dont want to obey those rules then theres the door."

My wife's teenage son is living with us right now and she lets him pretty much do whatever he wants which imo takes away the desire to want to get out of the nest. I moved out not only because i had no choice but i couldnt wait to do what i wanted as to what i was told. When a parent lets a kid do whatever they want they lose any and all motivation to get out there and gain their personal freedoms.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:56 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I moved out because I wanted to sleep with my bf. Isn't that still a motivator?

Old 03-23-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
No.
I lived with my mom when I was seeing DB.
I was 21 and was spending the night at his place and some at my moms house.
I had had sex before that too.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
it is if the parents are laying ground rules that include "no bringing bf's/gf's into the house".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting