Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 05:57 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
The kid needs help and a new place to live.
Not a record so he can't get jobs or into schools or whatever.
Yeah limit his career choices to the local mcdonalds or under the table work because no one wants to hire someone with a record.
As though the "kid" (aka adult) cares about being hired. Many businesses require a drug test before they'll hire, the "kid" (aka adult) is limiting his career choices himself because no one wants to hire druggies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 06:11 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
it is if the parents are laying ground rules that include "no bringing bf's/gf's into the house".
Yeah because you can only have sex in a bed and it has to be in your house for it to happen. *smacks forehead*

Because said person can't spend the night at bf/gfs place.
If you have to move out of your parents house to get laid you're doing something wrong. It's pretty damn easy and it doesn't have to occur at home.
Staying with a friend who has their own place, in a car, so many places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
As though the "kid" (aka adult) cares about being hired. Many businesses require a drug test before they'll hire, the "kid" (aka adult) is limiting his career choices himself because no one wants to hire druggies.
Most places don't these days. My last two jobs didn't and my current job is pretty well paying.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:07 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
Quote:
Yeah because you can only have sex in a bed and it has to be in your house for it to happen. *smacks forehead*

If you have to move out of your parents house to get laid you're doing something wrong. It's pretty damn easy and it doesn't have to occur at home.
Staying with a friend who has their own place, in a car, so many places.

Most places don't these days. My last two jobs didn't and my current job is pretty well paying.
Depends on what parenting style youre using. Permissive? More than likely. Authoritarian? No way in hell. I was raised authoritarian and not once did I ever think my parents were doing something wrong. If I ever said "other kids are doing it" the reply was "I dont care about those kids; theyre not mine. You are and youll do what I say." If I wanted to continue to have a roof over my head and food in my belly then id comply.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:08 PM

508 posts, read 663,485 times
Quote:

You have got to be kidding. I love my son - and I haven't had any objections to most of his girlfriends. But if he was 20 and still living with me, he would not be bringing someone home and having sex in the house, ESPECIALLY not when there are a 7 and 8 year old also in the house.

In fact, why would he WANT to? I don't know about you - but when *I* was 20, being quiet wasn't one of the things I was too enthused about during sex. And it would have creeped me out to have sex with someone I was just dating while my parents and/or siblings were in the house.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Depends on what parenting style youre using. Permissive? More than likely. Authoritarian? No way in hell. I was raised authoritarian and not once did I ever think my parents were doing something wrong. If I ever said "other kids are doing it" the reply was "I dont care about those kids; theyre not mine. You are and youll do what I say." If I wanted to continue to have a roof over my head and food in my belly then id comply.
This thread is about a 20 year old.

At 20 I wasn't asking permission for anything. I went to school, I went to work, I went out with friends. I still slept at friends houses if I knew I couldn't be home by curfew.

My mom had no idea if I was leaving for work or school or what. She never knew what I was doing.

Your logic works perfect for maybe a 13 year old wanting a cell phone but not a 20 year old.

I was always either "going to work", "going to school", or "going out with friends."

No one knew that going out with friend usually meant getting laid.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
If you think your 18 year old isn't going to have sex or tell you they're one place when they are really another then you better pull your head from the sand.

Trust me. Spending the night at Melissa's really meant I was at db's, my mom didn't know for like 6 months till I finally stopping caring.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojj View Post
You have got to be kidding. I love my son - and I haven't had any objections to most of his girlfriends. But if he was 20 and still living with me, he would not be bringing someone home and having sex in the house, ESPECIALLY not when there are a 7 and 8 year old also in the house.

In fact, why would he WANT to? I don't know about you - but when *I* was 20, being quiet wasn't one of the things I was too enthused about during sex. And it would have creeped me out to have sex with someone I was just dating while my parents and/or siblings were in the house.

You missed my point. I was saying it doesn't have to be at your parents house. Especially when people are there.

Someone said they moved out because they wanted to sleep with their boyfriend. I didn't have to move out to have sex, I just did it other places or lied about where I was because after 18 it wasn't anyone's business what I did OUTSIDE of the house.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:18 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
You missed my point. I was saying it doesn't have to be at your parents house. Especially when people are there.

Someone said they moved out because they wanted to sleep with their boyfriend. I didn't have to move out to have sex, I just did it other places or lied about where I was because after 18 it wasn't anyone's business what I did OUTSIDE of the house.
I think that other poster implied that once you are an adult and you don't like the rules, why not just grow up and move out. An adult living with parents sneaking around and acting like a defiant 13 year old isn't being much of an adult. Sometimes it's best to just decide it's time to be a real adult, pack up your things and get your own place.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:01 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think that other poster implied that once you are an adult and you don't like the rules, why not just grow up and move out. An adult living with parents sneaking around and acting like a defiant 13 year old isn't being much of an adult. Sometimes it's best to just decide it's time to be a real adult, pack up your things and get your own place.
Exactly! You know why my parents didnt have a clue what I was doing at 18 or 20? Because I had moved out when I was 17.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Exactly! You know why my parents didnt have a clue what I was doing at 18 or 20? Because I had moved out when I was 17.
That doesn't work for everyone.
Just because you still live at home doesn't mean you can't have a life outside of your parents home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting