Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 12:26 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times

Advertisements

What is also funny is how much some people are spending on similar items for their pets. I've seen dogs inside carts being pulled by bicycles -- a real dog should be getting exercise, running alongside the bicycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 12:53 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,918,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What is also funny is how much some people are spending on similar items for their pets. I've seen dogs inside carts being pulled by bicycles -- a real dog should be getting exercise, running alongside the bicycle.
Maybe the dog is elderly and cannot walk, or perhaps the owner wanted to bike for longer than the dog could go for.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:50 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,709,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Maybe the dog is elderly and cannot walk, or perhaps the owner wanted to bike for longer than the dog could go for.
There was one man that would bring his small dog to the dog park in a bicycle carrier. He lived about 8 miles away...to far for the small dig to run...and on dangerous roads. The man wanted to ride for his own exercise. It worked out well for them both. Such a thing would be a waste for me....but for that man it enriched his...and his dogs...life.

This is why I hate threads like these......they only are for some to pass judgment on others because they can't imagine anyone else could have a different experience or have different needs.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:29 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,930,102 times
Default By that logic all products are a waste of money

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Most baby products are a waste of money.

People have been having babies for thousands of years and didn't have all the luxuries for them.
As people have been around for hundreds of thousands of years and most products less than a hundred.

If a product makes your life better by an amount that's more than what you paid for it, then it's not a waste of money.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:03 PM

530 posts, read 1,163,984 times
We got great use out of our crib. We also bought a convertible crib, and we used it as a crib and then a toddler bed for all three of our kids. Then it converted into a headboard that is now sitting on the bed of my oldest daughter. That was definitely not a waste of money!

I also loved the Diaper Genie, and I used a duck thermometer for the bathtub. I like the water hot, and I found that it helped me ensure that it wasn't too hot for my kids. It also was a very inexpensive item. My MIL also bought some nice clothes for my kids when they were babies, and it was nice to dress them in something nice here and there.

I would have loved the airport contraption. It is so difficult to travel with babies, particularly if you have other young children. I also have to applaud parents who make their own baby food. If a product makes that easier, then I don't have a problem with it.

Overall, I found that we used most of the baby stuff we bought. I haven't heard many parents complaining about over-buying either, so I don't know if the article is very helpful.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:03 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,373,565 times
What I found to be useful:

Cloth diapers and wipes (I spent a small fortune on all things cloth related with my previous kids)
Swaddling blanket
Lansinoh
Onesies
Old fashioned burp rags/cloth dipes
Ergo carrier and Maya wrap
Medela PIS (with #4 since I primarily pumped during the first 5 months)
Socks for going out
Play mat
Cart/organizer to keep diapers and other necessities in
Car seat
Footed sleepers
Baby toiletries
Boudreaux Butt Paste
Weleda baby products
Papasan swing

and that's all I can think of at the moment.

Useless:

Crib
Nursery furniture
Strollers (rarely used it with #2 and 3)
Baby shoes before they could walk
Wipe warmer
Bottle warmer

and most everything else.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:15 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
There was one man that would bring his small dog to the dog park in a bicycle carrier. He lived about 8 miles away...to far for the small dig to run...and on dangerous roads. The man wanted to ride for his own exercise. It worked out well for them both. Such a thing would be a waste for me....but for that man it enriched his...and his dogs...life.

This is why I hate threads like these......they only are for some to pass judgment on others because they can't imagine anyone else could have a different experience or have different needs.
I have a basket on the front of my bike for my yorkie - Lucy. She only likes to go around the block but I had visions of long rides . . .

Anyhoo. I used to make fun of dogs in strollers too until I saw my neighbor putting her 16 year old little dog in one. It was probably the only way the dog got a walk. That's when I quit making fun of dogs in stollers.

I have two dogs - a westie that can walk for MILES and the yorkie who can't. I end up carrying her for 1/2 the walk sometimes. I've thought about that stroller!

Old 05-04-2014, 05:37 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post

Cloth diapers and wipes (I spent a small fortune on all things cloth related with my previous kids) -- If I had to do it all over again, I'd go this route.
Swaddling blanket -- Yes!
Lansinoh
Onesies -- Yes!
Old fashioned burp rags/cloth dipes -- Yes!
Ergo carrier and Maya wrap -- I had both a Baby Bjorn and a sling. Super useful!
Medela PIS (with #4 since I primarily pumped during the first 5 months)
Socks for going out -- Yes!
Play mat
Cart/organizer to keep diapers and other necessities in -- I kept them in a dresser drawer.
Car seat -- Yes!
Footed sleepers -- Yes!
Baby toiletries
Boudreaux Butt Paste
Weleda baby products
Papasan swing

Useless:

Crib -- We got our money's worth out of the crib.
Nursery furniture
Strollers (rarely used it with #2 and 3)
Baby shoes before they could walk -- Leather footies kept their socks on in cold weather.
Wipe warmer -- Not at all useful, but it was a gift from a well-intentioned relative.
Bottle warmer

Notes above.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post

Cloth diapers and wipes (I spent a small fortune on all things cloth related with my previous kids) Used disposables, I know, bad!
Swaddling blanket A friend told me, "You can't have too many", and I rarely used them.
Lansinoh Don't know what this is.
Onesies Rarely used these.
Old fashioned burp rags/cloth dipes Rarely used
Ergo carrier and Maya wrap Don't know what this is
Medela PIS (with #4 since I primarily pumped during the first 5 months) Not available when I had my kids.
Socks for going out Yes, in house, too. Gets cold in Colorado.
Play mat Did not have one, just used a blanket
Cart/organizer to keep diapers and other necessities in I had a diaper stacker that I used for diapers and other paraphernalia. It was a gift. Helpful in a house with lots of steps.
Car seat Absolute necessity! Safety item
Footed sleepers Yes
Baby toiletries A few
Boudreaux Butt Paste Not used, kids never had diaper rash
Weleda baby products Not familiar with these
Papasan swing ??? We had a wind-up swing

Useless:

Crib Ours was well used, for two kids
Nursery furniture We did have a dresser for each kid, and a rocking chair in the nursery
Strollers (rarely used it with #2 and 3) Used a ton
Baby shoes before they could walk Not often used, I wouldn't say totally useless
Wipe warmer I don't know if they even had them back when I had mine!
Bottle warmer Didn't need, may have used if I'd bottle fed.

Mine in teal

Old 05-04-2014, 06:39 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
As for furniture, I had a hand-me-down upholstered rocker for my first. It was lumpy, uncomfortable, and hard to clean. For our second, we splurged on a glider. It was a dream. Made nursing a pleasure.

An item many insisted I needed, but I wisely resisted was a high chair. We used an inexpensive clip-on chair at the bar once they were ready for solids and could sit up independently (about six months). They moved from there to a booster.

Last edited by randomparent; 05-04-2014 at 06:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting