Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2014, 10:14 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
What about all the fools who send their children to the library all day while they are at work?

As a former librarian I can tell you absolutely that is not safe at all. Libraries are full of mentally unstable people, even in small towns. Librarians aren't child care workers; they have a million other things to do and can't always keep an eye on every single child that is in the library.

Working parents now do have it hard, and I think every situation is different.

But in most communities it's wise to not leave your kids in the park or library alone.

Not that it should be an arrestable offense - which ends up costing communities money. Communities would be better off spending money on summer childcare options.
this is tragic the library was my favorite place when a child in chicago. gone are the days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 10:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I have been following this thread for several days. Today, I was reading my local paper's religion section; it referenced the upcoming Vacation Bible Schools in my area. Even if the mom has no money for day care and no particular interest in religion, she could have sent her daughter to VBS for a week at various churches. It would give the poor child something to do and some supervision for a few hours. Many of them help with transportation.

Rec centers give scholarships to some of their programs. I think the mom didn't look into her options.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:12 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I have been following this thread for several days. Today, I was reading my local paper's religion section; it referenced the upcoming Vacation Bible Schools in my area. Even if the mom has no money for day care and no particular interest in religion, she could have sent her daughter to VBS for a week at various churches. It would give the poor child something to do and some supervision for a few hours. Many of them help with transportation.

Rec centers give scholarships to some of their programs. I think the mom didn't look into her options.
Exploring options takes skills that some people just don't have.

Instead of admiring the woman for getting a job and helping her figure out daycare, apparently she's in jail and the girl is in foster care. I doubt this is in the best interest of the child or the community.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
this is tragic the library was my favorite place when a child in chicago. gone are the days.

Libraries have always been a refuge for the less fortunate, where the homeless can hide out in the warmth, where the mentally ill can yammer away, where everyone is treated with dignity and respect.

A library still is a great place. It's just not a great place to leave children unsupervised. No place is.

People can carry on all they want about how they grew up running wild through the Limberlost, but times have changed.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Exploring options takes skills that some people just don't have.

Instead of admiring the woman for getting a job and helping her figure out daycare, apparently she's in jail and the girl is in foster care. I doubt this is in the best interest of the child or the community.
I have never advocated putting the mother in jail and the daughter in foster care. It's pretty disrespectful to this mom to say that she doesn't have the skills to explore options. She saved up money to buy a computer and let the child sit at McDonald's all day playing on it. She came up with this park idea. Her friends started some sort of legal defense fund. She clearly has some thinking skills and friends.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 07-19-2014 at 11:44 AM..

Old 07-19-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I have never advocated putting the mother in jail and the daughter in foster care. It's pretty degrading to this mom to say that she doesn't have the skills to explore options. She saved up money to buy a computer and let the child sit at McDonald's all day playing on it. She came up with this park idea. She clearly has some thinking skills.

"She came up with the park idea," so clearly she has some thinking skills. Really?

It wasn't like she was in a sudden bind. The child had been sitting in the lobby of McDonald's for some time. Now she is wandering around a park all day.

Being able to access services takes skills such as reasearching what agencies to approach, skills at filling out paperwork for sliding scale fees...

I think it is "pretty degrading" to say that the woman had the skills to access options and just decided not to use them.

Just my opinion, of course

Old 07-19-2014, 12:10 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
I have never advocated putting the mother in jail and the daughter in foster care. It's pretty disrespectful to this mom to say that she doesn't have the skills to explore options. She saved up money to buy a computer and let the child sit at McDonald's all day playing on it. She came up with this park idea. Her friends started some sort of legal defense fund. She clearly has some thinking skills and friends.
According to the articles I read, her daughter asked to be allowed to play at the park, and her mom gave her a cell phone. Also, I have not read anything that the child was not allowed to walk the >five minutes back to the McD's any time during her mom's shift. Since she was permitted to hang out at the McDonald's during her mom's entire shifts prior to the laptop being stolen, I doubt it would have been a problem to come & go.

I'm sure more details will come out. In the meantime, the mom gets to deal with an arrest and the fallout from that, and the daughter gets to wonder what she did wrong to be taken from her family, all because someone called the police instead of the mom.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:15 PM

Once more, slowly (this is I think the third time I've said this), I DO NOT AGREE WITH THE WAY THIS CASE WAS HANDLED! I do think though, that the mom's solution for day care was not appropriate, be it park or the kid sitting at Mac's all day playing on the computer while mom worked.

ETA: This is regardless of whether going to the park was the child's idea or the mom's.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 07-19-2014 at 12:45 PM..

Old 07-19-2014, 12:42 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
Sorry, but dropping your kid off at a park and leaving them unattended is an arrestable offense in my opinion.
She didn't drop her off. The girl walked the 5 min to the park where she joined 30-40 other kids playing on a splash lad and playground instead of sitting eating junk food and staring at a wall in mcdonalds all day. Which is really more dangerous statistically...French fries or playing "alone" with 30 other kids and a cell phone? Or how about the dangers of foster care and a mother in jail vs. playing in the park?

My kids are 8 & 10 and have been going to the neighborhood parks together for over a year. The world has gone nuts, you expect your kids to grow up to know how to be independent, to make good decisions, and yet you don't let them out of your sight until they're 21.

It's ridiculous and in this case I also can't help but wonder if the woman was wealthy, white, and working for the attorney 5 min from the park, if it would have been reported at all.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:59 PM

I continue to wonder about this rest of this story.

Mother is able to afford cell phone and laptop (until it was stolen) for her daughter, but not arrange for supervision. No summer camps, Bible School, YMCA, Boys & Girls Club, relatives, friends, neighbors...

Plus, I've known kids much more neglected than this one, where the mother seems much more neglectful, and where social services is called in and they work with the mother to come up with a better solution for supervision.

This story just does not make sense. Throwing her in jail for letting her 9 y/o daughter play at the park all day? Either there was more going on than reported, or the police way overstepped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting