Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2014, 12:24 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Are you saying that Debra Harrell's child was the only black child at the park?
I don't know that, but I suspect that if she had been white, the mother would not have been arrested, though she might have been warned and told not to do that again.

Of course, the charge may be rooted in the fact that she was leaving the child at home when she worked the night shift, but we don't have any details at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 12:24 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,058,658 times
This isn't just about a kid possibly getting molested. This is also about a kid falling off a piece of equipment and breaking a leg or worse being unconscious. I assume a 9 yo doesn't have ID on them and how would a stranger know who to call? Or a stray dog biting a kid. Or a kid with bad allergies stung by a bee. Or going to the bathroom. Or being hungry or thirsty or scared. There are MANY reasons a 9 yo shouldn't be dropped off at a park to be alone. And I said it before, if I was at the park with my kids and I saw a 9 yo dropped off and the parent(s) left, I'd call the cops immediately.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
This isn't just about a kid possibly getting molested. This is also about a kid falling off a piece of equipment and breaking a leg or worse being unconscious. I assume a 9 yo doesn't have ID on them and how would a stranger know who to call? Or a stray dog biting a kid. Or a kid with bad allergies stung by a bee. Or going to the bathroom. Or being hungry or thirsty or scared. There are MANY reasons a 9 yo shouldn't be dropped off at a park to be alone. And I said it before, if I was at the park with my kids and I saw a 9 yo dropped off and the parent(s) left, I'd call the cops immediately.
She had a cell phone and if she got hurt, I bet the number to call was easily accessible.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
She had a cell phone and if she got hurt, I bet the number to call was easily accessible.
You bet, but you don't know. And a kid shouldn't be in the position to have to rely on that. The kid is NINE, still in elementary school. It's just plain wrong.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:38 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,252,976 times
Quote:
Its easy for a stranger to know who to call - you see someone get break a leg, get knocked unconscious etc., you call an ambulance. And you can trust most nine year olds to take care of themselves if they are hungry, thirsty or need to go to the toilet.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
You bet, but you don't know. And a kid shouldn't be in the position to have to rely on that. The kid is NINE, still in elementary school. It's just plain wrong.
Really? It doesn't seem bad to me at all.

Quote:
She gave her daughter a cell phone. The girl went to the park—a place so popular that at any given time there are about 40 kids frolicking—two days in a row. There were swings, a "splash pad," and shade. On her third day at the park, an adult asked the girl where her mother was. At work, the daughter replied.
Unfortunately, the google street view seems to be from before the Summerfield Park where I think she was could be seen. The splash pad opened in April from what I could find.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:48 PM

It absolutely boggles my mind that people think it's okay to drop a 9 yo off at a park and leave them unattended. Absolutely stunned. This isn't a 13 yo, the kid is NINE.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
It absolutely boggles my mind that people think it's okay to drop a 9 yo off at a park and leave them unattended. Absolutely stunned. This isn't a 13 yo, the kid is NINE.
She was not far from her home or from her mom's work. She isn't 4 or 5, she is 9. At 9, lots of kids play at the park alone here. As long as the park is populated with lots of kids, a nine year old will be fine. It stuns me that people won't let a child be alone at 9. If she got tired, she could walk home or to the McDonald's to see her mom.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:55 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Its easy for a stranger to know who to call - you see someone get break a leg, get knocked unconscious etc., you call an ambulance. And you can trust most nine year olds to take care of themselves if they are hungry, thirsty or need to go to the toilet.
Of course you call 911, but then what? Who signs the forms at the hospital, who takes them home? The cell phone certainly helps as the police might be able to track down McDonald's with that. Or perhaps the mother has a cell phone as well. That would help.

If 9 y/os are able to take care of themselves when they are hungry, thirsty, or need to go to bathroom then would it be okay to let every 9 y/o and up roam free?

Imagine what parks, playgrounds, malls, etc. would be like with no one supervising kids 9 and over.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:56 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
She was not far from her home or from her mom's work. She isn't 4 or 5, she is 9. At 9, lots of kids play at the park alone here. As long as the park is populated with lots of kids, a nine year old will be fine. It stuns me that people won't let a child be alone at 9. If she got tired, she could walk home or to the McDonald's to see her mom.
So are all the kids 9 and over unsupervised at your park?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting