Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2014, 12:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
We all know why Debra Lynn Harrell was targeted. I want to know which park this was, but have not been able to find information online about that.

Debra Harrell and the mythology of bad black mothers - LA Times
Way to play the race card! The article offers no documentation that this mom was arrested b/c she is black. In fact, past the first sentence, it says nothing about race at all. And this article comes to us from LA, not South Carolina, in other words, not at all close to the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 01:00 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
She was not far from her home or from her mom's work. She isn't 4 or 5, she is 9. At 9, lots of kids play at the park alone here. As long as the park is populated with lots of kids, a nine year old will be fine. It stuns me that people won't let a child be alone at 9. If she got tired, she could walk home or to the McDonald's to see her mom.
I wish I lived in your dream world.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
It absolutely boggles my mind that people think it's okay to drop a 9 yo off at a park and leave them unattended. Absolutely stunned. This isn't a 13 yo, the kid is NINE.
Ditto. It's especially shocking that some people who have actually raised kids past that age are saying it's OK. The big issue with child endangerment in kids this age is the "what if" factor. Sure, a kid can play in a park at 9 w/o supervision, but what if she has an accident? Gets sick? What if a bad storm comes up? Where does she go then? ETC, ETC. I've been in crowded parks, and they can be very impersonal. No one much pays attention to anyone but their own. This kid wasn't at the park playing with her friends, and for all her mom was physically close by, she was working.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:07 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Of course you call 911, but then what? Who signs the forms at the hospital, who takes them home? The cell phone certainly helps as the police might be able to track down McDonald's with that. Or perhaps the mother has a cell phone as well. That would help.

If 9 y/os are able to take care of themselves when they are hungry, thirsty, or need to go to bathroom then would it be okay to let every 9 y/o and up roam free?

Imagine what parks, playgrounds, malls, etc. would be like with no one supervising kids 9 and over.
Plenty of 9 year olds and up roaming free round here so I don't need to imagine what it would be like - its fine.

A conscious nine year old should be able to tell the doctors their parent's contact details and if they are unconscious then the doctors will surely treat the child anyway (I don't know how it operates there but anyone unconscious is going to get treatment here without worrying about paperwork) and figure out how to contact afterwards if there's no ID or other contact information (they'd look on a phone for an I.C.E number)

Old 07-20-2014, 01:09 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Of course you call 911, but then what? Who signs the forms at the hospital, who takes them home? The cell phone certainly helps as the police might be able to track down McDonald's with that. Or perhaps the mother has a cell phone as well. That would help.

If 9 y/os are able to take care of themselves when they are hungry, thirsty, or need to go to bathroom then would it be okay to let every 9 y/o and up roam free?

Imagine what parks, playgrounds, malls, etc. would be like with no one supervising kids 9 and over.
If the child needed true emergency care, the hospital would supply it, whether or not they could locate a parent. That part isn't so different from a child hit by a car on their bike, since most won't have any ID on them.

I don't think it makes sense to compare the 9 yr old of a single mother with the average child of a 2 parent, middle class home. In all likelihood, this child is more mature than many of the same age.

But, the issue isn't really is she should have been left. I think we all agree it was a risky choice. The issue is, whether or not the mother felt she had options, and if it was in anybody's best interest to arrest her.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:13 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,627 times
My son is 10. Even when he plays in the backyard I leave the windows open or look back there every 10-15 minutes to make sure he's ok. I couldn't imagine just dropping him off at a park with a bunch of strangers and leaving him there alone for 10 minutes, let alone hours.

This isn't being over protective. I don't control what he does in the backyard and believe me he does things on our swing set that makes my wife cringe. But I say he's got to learn for himself what can be potentially painful. Luckily he's very athletic and does things that marvel me. The difference is, if he gets hurt or needs me or my wife for anything, WE ARE THERE.

If I saw another kid at the park get hurt the 1st thing I'd be doing is LOOKING FOR A PARENT. And when I learned there wasn't a supervisor of that kid there, I'd be livid. If I saw a kid being dragged away from the park screaming I'd assume the kid is just throwing a tantrum cause he/she doesn't want to leave.

Also, saying there are 40 or so other kids there is a good thing is not the case. It actually makes it easier for a kid to not be noticed if they need help or for a stranger to blend in easier and do something.

Mind boggling.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:13 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Plenty of 9 year olds and up roaming free round here so I don't need to imagine what it would be like - its fine.

A conscious nine year old should be able to tell the doctors their parent's contact details and if they are unconscious then the doctors will surely treat the child anyway (I don't know how it operates there but anyone unconscious is going to get treatment here without worrying about paperwork) and figure out how to contact afterwards if there's no ID or other contact information (they'd look on a phone for an I.C.E number)
Yep, and let's remember 30-40 other kids at the park, many with cell phones as well.

I would have zero problem with my 10yr old in this exact scenario. We have recently been in South Carolina and in the square in downtown Charleston there are dozens of unattended children (where are the cops in this instance?) swimming in the city fountain. My kids had a great time with them.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:

Who does all of these things for your 16yr old? Parks and playgrounds should have more 9yr olds roaming free, playing on playgrounds, building forts in the woods. Instead you would have them sitting in front video games or munching on fries since they're "safer" which I've actually seen no evidence of.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:18 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Yep, and let's remember 30-40 other kids at the park, many with cell phones as well.

I would have zero problem with my 10yr old in this exact scenario. We have recently been in South Carolina and in the square in downtown Charleston there are dozens of unattended children (where are the cops in this instance?) swimming in the city fountain. My kids had a great time with them.
Would you be comfortable with leaving your child with a cell phone and go off shopping, sight seeing, etc. and picking him up 8 hours later?

Old 07-20-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
My son is 10. Even when he plays in the backyard I leave the windows open or look back there every 10-15 minutes to make sure he's ok. I couldn't imagine just dropping him off at a park with a bunch of strangers and leaving him there alone for 10 minutes, let alone hours.

This isn't being over protective. I don't control what he does in the backyard and believe me he does things on our swing set that makes my wife cringe. But I say he's got to learn for himself what can be potentially painful. Luckily he's very athletic and does things that marvel me. The difference is, if he gets hurt or needs me or my wife for anything, WE ARE THERE.

If I saw another kid at the park get hurt the 1st thing I'd be doing is LOOKING FOR A PARENT. And when I learned there wasn't a supervisor of that kid there, I'd be livid. If I saw a kid being dragged away from the park screaming I'd assume the kid is just throwing a tantrum cause he/she doesn't want to leave.

Also, saying there are 40 or so other kids there is a good thing is not the case. It actually makes it easier for a kid to not be noticed if they need help or for a stranger to blend in easier and do something.

Mind boggling.
Really? I have a 10yr old too. She has a one mile boundary on her bike from our house. I haven't made her stay in the backyard since she was 6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting