Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 02:39 PM

667 posts, read 2,300,983 times

Advertisements

Hello!
Here's the thing:
My 4 year old son has hardly any interest in toys.
All he wants to do is watch TV or play Nintendo (which is in my room & I play it at times, he loves to watch & on occasion, when he's been really good I'll pass the controller to him & let him give it a try. It's a short reward for good bahavior only!).
His dad did convince me to let him have a TV in his room. I didn't have one in my room until 10, so I'm wondering if we gave him that luxury too young.
There are REALLY cool toys that have sat in his room & he hasn't budged them. I have to beg him to play in his room & even if I play with him, his interest doesn't last for long.
I know that I have been a good, kind & understanding parent who uses tough love, listening & patience with my son. I like for him to enjoy simple things in life...LIKE TOYS!
Is games, DVD's, computers & all this hi-tech junk just bread into kids nowdays?
How can I spark my boys interest in toys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 02:45 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,646,498 times
i think you started him out on the video games too early. if he didnt know about them then he would be playing with more simple things. sorry, it's too late! p.s. he also might want to be just like you since he sees you play nintendo.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:49 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,419 times
I agree, and I am personally opposed to kids having TVs in their room, but I know many parents who don't mind that.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:58 PM

394 posts, read 2,003,451 times
My 4 year old doesn't play with toys very much, however he doesn't play video games or watch much TV, either. I did recently show him how to use the computer a bit, and he plays games on Nickelodeon occasionally, but very limited. He mostly just wants to do whatever I'm doing around the house, whether it's cleaning, folding clothes etc. I have always wondered if it was normal to shun toys, it does seem unusual.

However, our oldest kids, now teenagers, have a really bad obsession with video games and the computer. They did start playing gameboy/video and computer games around the age of 4/5. My husband is really pushing me to hold off starting our 4 year old on any of that; he's convinced we let them start too young. You will find a lot of people who will tell you it's okay if it's educational/whatever, but it really did seem to take away our older kid's imaginations. They found everything else "boring". My daughter does read quite a bit, but our son at 18 now will spend hours at a time playing interactive computer games.

I would suggest you definitely limit the time your son watches TV/plays computer games. I think at 4 their natural curiousity will take over if they don't have unlimited access to the "high tech junk". Another thing to try, do you often read with your son?

Old 12-20-2007, 03:04 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,027,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collected_eve View Post
Hello!
Is games, DVD's, computers & all this hi-tech junk just bread into kids nowdays?
How can I spark my boys interest in toys?
1. No, its not bred into them.
2. If you want him to be interested in toys, take the TV out of his room and stop playing Nintendo in front of him.

He has been brought up to watch TV. It sounds like he watches his parents watching TV and playing video games. Many "kids" stations such as Nickelodeon are also full of commercials for electronic games.

I'm not anti television per se, my kids get to watch PBS cartoons (they are violence free and commercials are almost non-existant) and Americas Funniest Videos. However WE control the viewing - not our kids, and the kids are not allowed to play on the computer or with video games (I like them but don't have them in the house at present), partly because I don't think it is particularly good for developing eyes.

I will frequently just send the kids outside and tell them to play. They usually come back a couple of times complaining of boredom, I send them back out, and in a couple more minutes they are happily engrossed in digging up worms or playing some imagination game.

The trick is not to entertain them - just to let them learn to entertain themselves.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:19 PM

[quote=AnthonyB;2303558]1. No, its not bred into them.
2. If you want him to be interested in toys, take the TV out of his room and stop playing Nintendo in front of him.

He has been brought up to watch TV. It sounds like he watches his parents watching TV and playing video games. Many "kids" stations such as Nickelodeon are also full of commercials for electronic games.[quote]

Actually, before anyone makes any assumptions, my husband & I DO NOT watch much TV at all. The TV is hardly ever turned on on weekends & we usually do not turn it on until after our son is done with his bath & in his room for the evening.
And our son doesn't watch TV very often either. He's limited to 30 min. per day, usually being once he's in bed. And the Nintendo maybe comes on once a week, usually on down time on a Saturday.
THAT'S why I'm a bit confused. He doesn't get exposed to these 2 demons that often. It's just like: he knows it's there & he's hooked.

Last edited by collected_eve; 12-20-2007 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: what's up with the quote?

Old 12-20-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustamom View Post
Another thing to try, do you often read with your son?

I do. We normally read 2 books per night. One of his choice & one of mine. He LOVES books. He will pick a book before a toy any day of the week.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
i think you started him out on the video games too early. if he didnt know about them then he would be playing with more simple things. sorry, it's too late! p.s. he also might want to be just like you since he sees you play nintendo.
He's sees me do alot more than just play games lady.
I say ONE thing about video games & not that's ALL I do.
I cook for my family every night, my son helps.
I deep clean the house on weekends, my son helps.
I read books, with my son.
I write & paint when I can, my son watches & sometimes helps.
I'm not a TV or video game addict, obviously, I only have a 1980's nintendo for crying out loud!
I take walks with my son, we play at the local park weekly.
He just KNOWS that the Nintendo & TV are there & that's ALL he asks to do.
Even though my husband & I always say, "not today, let's do something else."

Old 12-20-2007, 04:00 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,646,498 times
maybe he's a bit ocd and has an obsession with all things electronic.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:05 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,650 times
I have a freind who's 4 year old is really into video games too. He has older siblings that play video games. But now that its winter, all that boy does is play video games or watch tv. She suggested we get a video game for our 5 year old, I said no way. My kids have played v-tech and a few other games at relatives homes, but we don't need them in our house yet. I have suggested to my friend that she get him outside more. It makes me sad he is inside so much. My 5 year old will spend all day outside in a snow storm if I let him. He digs, builds things, etc.

Maybe your son would like something like Magnetix, Gears, Legos, etc. Toys that allow you to build cool stuff. Does he like play dough, drawing, art, books, etc. There are other things he might be interested in. But changing his habits early will be a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting