Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 01:38 PM

105 posts, read 110,987 times

Advertisements

Also...how is a child supposed to learn if you don't let him engage in conversation? I would rather mine ask questions and form an opinion. Nobody is born knowing these things. you have to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 01:43 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan2514 View Post
And very liberal at that. Let me guess, conservative?
Don't tank your own argument with unnecessary cheap shots.

What does this have to do with anything?

Old 08-14-2014, 05:52 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Also...how is a child supposed to learn if you don't let him engage in conversation? I would rather mine ask questions and form an opinion. Nobody is born knowing these things. you have to learn.
How do you teach children manners, if they're butting into private conversations? There's not a darn thing wrong with children learning things, as long as they're not rude. If a kid is butting into conversations, between adults, it's a pretty fair sign that they're most likely not "mature" to be included in that conversation.

As others have stated, good manners and respect are one thing, automatically doing "anything" that an adult tells you to do...even if you know it's wrong, is quite another. Have yourself a few kids, let them get to talking really well, telling you to DO things for them, let them order you around a while, let them constantly interrupt you while you're on the phone or trying to have an adult conversation, have your teenage child call you a beyotch, simply because you never bothered to teach them respect....because WHY?.....then you'll get it. Hahahahaaaaaaa....oh yepper, you'll get it then.

Find yourself with kids, whom no one invites over, wants to play with, or even wants at their house, because you didn't think "respect" was important, then maybe you'll get it. Of course, perhaps you'll be one of those people who blames everyone else...happens all the time.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
How do you teach children manners, if they're butting into private conversations? There's not a darn thing wrong with children learning things, as long as they're not rude. If a kid is butting into conversations, between adults, it's a pretty fair sign that they're most likely not "mature" to be included in that conversation.

As others have stated, good manners and respect are one thing, automatically doing "anything" that an adult tells you to do...even if you know it's wrong, is quite another. Have yourself a few kids, let them get to talking really well, telling you to DO things for them, let them order you around a while, let them constantly interrupt you while you're on the phone or trying to have an adult conversation, have your teenage child call you a beyotch, simply because you never bothered to teach them respect....because WHY?.....then you'll get it. Hahahahaaaaaaa....oh yepper, you'll get it then.

Find yourself with kids, whom no one invites over, wants to play with, or even wants at their house, because you didn't think "respect" was important, then maybe you'll get it. Of course, perhaps you'll be one of those people who blames everyone else...happens all the time.
I have 2 3 1/2 ds 6 y/o DD. They don't interrupt or butt in but they aren't banished to a play room.
I don't know if you read my first sentence. My kids definitely aren't rude to adults, or anyone. But we don't emphasise the "mam" and "sir" lingo. This is their house as much as mine. I own it, and I say it's their's. If someone is out of line thry can let them know as long as it's appropriately.

They are assertive and entertaining. Both can carry on conversations with adults and other kids. In an adult way.

The problem is we underestimate young people. Mine aren't "rude". Rude means the same for all ages.

And if someone doesn't want them over I probably don't want them there either.

I love your assumptions

Old 08-14-2014, 06:58 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
26 years of age And very liberal at that. Let me guess, conservative?
My point was, nobody deserves to be put on a pedestal because of age...
Respect is a privilege not a right IMHO.

Thanks for the compliment about age though. Some people still think for themselves as they grow older mind you
Respecting someone isn't putting a person on a pedestal. My husband (Filipino) has sisters who are my parents ages, and we actually are not supposed to call them "sister" in their language because of the age difference. It's considered rude, and we are told to say it in another language that they speak. The way they call each other sister is much more informal than what we say.

In my family (non-Filipino or Asian), we always leave the chairs for the oldest people in a gathering. Since there aren't many people in the youngest generation yet, that means I (28) often sit on the floor.

My grandma does like my husband because of his race, but he would never say anything impolite to her because she's an elder. He honestly can't stand her, but it'll never happen.

None of this means that we do everything our elders tell us to do or be submissive toward them. We are respectful but still individuals and our own little family.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
In my family (non-Filipino or Asian), we always leave the chairs for the oldest people in a gathering. Since there aren't many people in the youngest generation yet, that means I (28) often sit on the floor.

This would be called whipped in our household. As a matter of fact my son and DH race eachother for the recliner.
It's a darn chair people.
Unless someone has health problems...

Old 08-14-2014, 10:34 PM

You're going to make an elderly person sit on the floor while you, a young person, sit on the nice comfy chair? That's called messed up in our, and most people I know, household.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:40 PM

Also, if you knew my family (not my husband's), you would know we're anything but whipped. That's quite a hilarious statement about us just because we have respect and show courtesy to others.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:54 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,568 times
Quote:
This would be called whipped in our household. As a matter of fact my son and DH race eachother for the recliner. It's a darn chair people. Unless someone has health problems...
LMAO. If you're still around on CD in 10 years you'll no doubt be posting about how unruly your children are and where did you go wrong!#? I just hope I remember this thread. . I agree with you on one thing though, you are whipped in your household...by your children!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Don't tank your own argument with unnecessary cheap shots. What does this have to do with anything?
Too late. Not only did she tank it, she illustrated her own upbringing with regard to manners. Explains a lot.

Quote:
26 years of age And very liberal at that. Let me guess, conservative?
My point was, nobody deserves to be put on a pedestal because of age...
Respect is a privilege not a right IMHO.

Thanks for the compliment about age though. Some people still think for themselves as they grow older mind you
You're not "older" nor wiser if you believe your 3 year-old is equivalent to you and your husband. Privilege?? Please! Now whose on a pedestal? I truly hope you save this thread and come back to it in 10 years. Yeh, bookmark it!

Old 08-15-2014, 12:09 AM

You are petty if you think a chair symbolizes anything. The kids do listen to us but we're not going to freak out over a freaking seat.

I'm not talking about 'elderly'. A healthy 40 year old doesn't need to be fussed over.

I would kick our dog off of the couch if visitors came, however.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-15-2014 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: Removed dogs to kids remark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting