Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2014, 03:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times

Advertisements

I live in Pennsylvania.

My state's law says I'm allowed to leave children under 6 in the car unattended if the car is within sight.

Quote:
A person driving or in charge of a motor vehicle may not permit a child under six years of age to remain unattended in the vehicle when the motor vehicle is out of the person's sight and under circumstances which endanger the health, safety or welfare of the child.

State Laws
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 03:52 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,724,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
And those laws are still very ambiguous.

"When there are conditions that present a significant risk"
"When the engine is running or the keys are in the ignition"
"for more than 10 minutes", etc, etc.
I live in California, so I checked the CA laws. You cannot leave a child unattended under "conditions that present a significant risk to the child's health or safety" or with the engine running and/or keys in the ignition.

The first part is somewhat ambiguous, but the second is not. I don't think there is anyone, anywhere, who would say it is safe to leave a child alone in a car with the engine running. As I've said before, very few people would steal your child--but a lot of people would steal your car if given the chance, and they just might jump in and drive off without checking to see who might be in the back seat.

As for "conditions that present a significant risk to health or safety"--well, there we obviously have room for interpretation. I now know that some parents would consider my briefly getting out of the car to make an ATM deposit a significant risk to my child's health or safety, but the police and CPS would probably not.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:53 PM

I notice New Jersey doesn't have a law. Does that mean it's not as progressive of a state compared to Pennsylvania?

Old 09-07-2014, 04:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
What a surprise. Here in the home of the Libertarian Party, "no current or proposed laws". That covers me for my past mis-deeds, and MissTerri.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:10 PM

The laws are so varied. Some of them are ambiguous. Some are very specific. Some are strange.

You're allowed to do it in Florida for 15 minutes even if the car isn't in sight as long as the car isn't running and the child's health isn't in danger.

In Connecticut, it's a greater offense if it's after 8pm.

You get 5 minutes in Hawaii.

It's only illegal in Kentucky if the child dies.

Missouri's is only if the child causes an injury or death to another person via collision. No mention of the child's safety.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:31 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,969 times
I have done it before, and I'll do it again.

1) Van in sight entire time
2) Safe neighborhood
3) Temperature moderate
4) Child not eating or drinking anything
5) Young children in carseats
6) Doors locked, windows up (unless in our own private driveway, at the top of a hill)
7) 2 minutes or less

Situations I have done this:
1) Preschool drop-off for another child
2) Pay a bill in a retail establishment (dance studio, in this case)
3) Kids are all asleep, and I'm carrying one of them into the house at a time. I will leave the others in the van and come back for them after I deposit sleeping child into bed. Actually I guess the vehicle is out of sight for this one, when I'm inside our own home.
4) Grabbing keys or dropping off something at husband's office
5) Picking up items from somebody's house, purchased through a FB swap site (porch pick-ups, don't enter their homes)
6) Grab a soda inside a convenience store after buying gas

There are probably others.

My state does not have any specific laws in regards to this issue.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
have a done it? Yes. I dont do it now. It is illegal in OH.
According to the link GotHereQuickAsICould posted, it's not illegal in OH. Maybe the website isn't current.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:00 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,231,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
For all of the "it's child endangerment!!!" posters, did you co-sleep with your children until age 10? (Or whenever you would be OK leaving them in a car for one minute?) Because I would say that leaving them unattended in a bedroom overnight (10-12 whole hours!!!) is just as "risky" as leaving them in a car for one minute. They could crawl out of bed/the crib and get tangled up in an electrical cord or knock over a bookshelf, they could be taken by a very quiet abductor, they could stop breathing, and so on...
You took the words right out of my mouth, this is exactly what I was planning to ask the 'I never' crowd.

Kidnappings of kids out of their bedrooms at night is actually fairly widespread. We just had a case recently on the news about a 9 year old girl snatched out of her bedroom window. Parents who value their kids over their own convenience should do the right thing and stay up all night watching them by their bedside.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:01 PM

50,383 posts, read 64,034,538 times
I did this all the time, 40 years ago, and so did everyone else, but now it is not considered permissible because of the perception of perverts and carjackers around every corner and the fact that a child might instantly bake in the hot car.
Its a slippery slope, folks. Big brother is watching you, and knows what is better for you and your children than you do.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:06 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The laws are so varied. Some of them are ambiguous. Some are very specific. Some are strange.

You're allowed to do it in Florida for 15 minutes even if the car isn't in sight as long as the car isn't running and the child's health isn't in danger.

In Connecticut, it's a greater offense if it's after 8pm.

You get 5 minutes in Hawaii.

It's only illegal in Kentucky if the child dies.

Missouri's is only if the child causes an injury or death to another person via collision. No mention of the child's safety.

FL is an a** backwards state to begin with.

You leave a kid in a car in FL that isn't running so that the A/C is on and you will end up with a kid needing to go to the hospital or possibly dead most of the year.

15 minutes is ridiculous.

Of course it was just on the national news how a Tampa mom accidently just locked her toddler in the car, called 911 and was denied help. Was told only if the child was in distress.

Cop came by and wouldn't help either, finally a stranger saw what was going on and smashed the window with a hammer.

And CT, while it's never a good idea to leave a child in a car like that, the ones that end up dying are during the heat of the day. At least at night the temps are much lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting