Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2014, 10:44 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
So you never physically step away from your child at more than such a distance? At the park, playground, at home? Never ever?
The topic wasn't leaving a child at a park or playground. It was about leaving them in a vehicle while the adults went about their business. No I don't leave children alone at parks or playgrounds. I'm always within 10 feet. At home, I check on them often when they're not in the same room.

I was left alone a lot as a child and had several things happen because I was left alone. I don't care for others to go through what I experienced. My parents don't even know everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 10:45 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The specific situation you were responding to was the ATM. Here's the sequence to refresh your memory:
No I would not leave a child in my vehicle while at an ATM unless it's the drive thru one and I'm in the vehicle driving. You aren't focused on a child when using an ATM. You're focused on the ATM.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:57 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
No I would not leave a child in my vehicle while at an ATM unless it's the drive thru one and I'm in the vehicle driving. You aren't focused on a child when using an ATM. You're focused on the ATM.
Exactly, and most of the time your back is turned.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:01 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,741 times
Quote:
The topic wasn't leaving a child at a park or playground. It was about leaving them in a vehicle while the adults went about their business. No I don't leave children alone at parks or playgrounds. I'm always within 10 feet. At home, I check on them often when they're not in the same room.

I was left alone a lot as a child and had several things happen because I was left alone. I don't care for others to go through what I experienced. My parents don't even know everything.
No, it wasn't about "leaving them alone while adults went about their business" It was about leaving them alone for a minute or less while adults were said 10 feet or so away and within eyesight of the car. You physically follow your kids around the playground the entire time (unless they're under 2-3 years old), and not let them play on one side of it while you watch from the other? You check on them in another room every minute or two (as was the timeframe here)?

Being left ALONE for prolonged periods of time, and being left secured strapped into a carseat in a locked car that you can see for a minute are very, VERY, incomparably different.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:02 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Which is a clear example of a child who would be safer strapped into a car seat.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:05 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly, and most of the time your back is turned.
and what if the child is by your side and while you're focusing on the atm, trying to punch in numbers, they dash off onto the road or parking lot? This is a MUCH more likely scenario than them getting hurt while strapped in the carseat

Old 09-07-2014, 11:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
We are trying to get to the bottom of what specific distance you consider your child unattended.

You mentioned a kiosk. Where I live, they are located on the sidewalks in front of convenience stores. Car parking places pull up to the sidewalk. It's entirely possible the front of your car can be literally two feet away from the kiosk. Cart returns can be just a few feet away if you park your car near the cart return.

You're drawing an unrealistic hard line of what constitutes attended and unattended. You are saying you literally have to be in the car at all times. Period. Or children are unattended.

That means your children are unattended while you pump gas even if you pay for gas at the pump with a credit card. Or do you unload all of your children to stand around you in a gas station parking inhaling gasoline vapors while you pump the gas?

Do you drag your child along with you to put your cart away in the cart return? Do you hold their hands while you are pushing the cart past all of those cars that can't see your child when they are backing out of a parking place? What if there are five children? You only have two hands and one is needed to push the cart.

Let's assume you don't know how to change a tire, but your husband certainly does. If he has the children out with him alone (no other adult is with him), and the car gets a flat tire, does he drag the children out to stand at the side of a busy highway while he changes the tire? Or does he leave the children inside the car while he changes the tire? Either way, he isn't focused on the children. He's focused on changing the tire. Do you really expect us to believe that children are safer standing along a busy highway instead of sitting inside a car while a parent is focused on another task?

Inquiring minds want to know specific details on how you manage to function in your perfect safe little world.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
and what if the child is by your side and while you're focusing on the atm, trying to punch in numbers, they dash off onto the road or parking lot? This is a MUCH more likely scenario than them getting hurt while strapped in the carseat
Good one! Just imagine having to run from the ATM after you input your PIN number and the person behind you stealing your money because you thought your child was safer standing next to you on a sidewalk of a parking lot instead of strapped into a car seat five feet away.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:04 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,729,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowtree2222 View Post
All PARENTS ONLY please.. Please tell me have you ever left your child in the car to run into a store/post office/ etc for less then 1 minute?? And is that illegal?
For all of you focusing on the outdoor atm... the OP never mentioned an atm. The OP is talking about leaving the child unattended in the car while he/she went INSIDE a store, post office, etc for "under a minute".

Old 09-08-2014, 05:13 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
For all of you focusing on the outdoor atm... the OP never mentioned an atm. The OP is talking about leaving the child unattended in the car while he/she went INSIDE a store, post office, etc for "under a minute".
As someone else posted, it is difficult to imagine what errand could be accomplished in under a minute, particularly any errand that involved standing in line and dealing with cashiers. But dropping off books and DVDs inside might fit in this category.

No sure how we got on the topic of leaving the kid strapped in the car while at an outdoor ATM or Red Box kiosk.

According to the link posted, in 31 states you can apparently leave your kid in the car, no harm no foul. In 19 states there are certain rules depending on the age of the child and certain other conditions.

It seems that over half of the folks on this thread are fine with leaving a child under five in a car in a parking lot while they go inside to conduct business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting