Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 05:41 PM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Oh FFS! Do you really think those parents want to be at the store with a cranky child? This subject has been beat to death is this forum. Life is inconvenient. It is inconvenient to have a sick kid and a husband who travels, or no husband at all, and to have to take your kids to the store to buy medicine, or food, (and maybe even a few non-essentials while you're there). I promise you it is way less convenient for the mom than it is for you, who merely has to deal with them for 2 minutes while you ring them up. If you can't handle that, get a new job, or become a hermit or something.
No, I think SOME parents don't give a flying fig about their kids and do things according to whatever is most convenient to them. I am not talking stressed out, overburdened, things get out of control once in in a while situation. I am sick of people coming back with 'I never/rarely see it so it can't be so bad'. It happens, more often than it should, and the majority of it is not 'oh, it couldn't be helped'.

Look there are a bunch of people in here saying the Op is a child hater, or they're making excuses for the behaviour, or saying that it can't really be that bad. I'm just here to point out that it's the parents, NOT the kids, and yes it can be that bad, just because some of you don't see it often doesn't make it not so. Plenty of careless parents out there if you happen to be in a situation to be around them enough to notice.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:16 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Because I work in retail and I check them out. Last time I checked nail polish, make up, greeting cards, sandals, candy, cokes, cheap toys, etc etc were not exactly essentials. Why do you have such a hard time believing there are a good number of parents who do such things?
Who are you to tell people what they should buy and when? Maybe that is the only time they have all week to enjoy their money. Big whoop.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Oh FFS! Do you really think those parents want to be at the store with a cranky child? This subject has been beat to death is this forum. Life is inconvenient. It is inconvenient to have a sick kid and a husband who travels, or no husband at all, and to have to take your kids to the store to buy medicine, or food, (and maybe even a few non-essentials while you're there). I promise you it is way less convenient for the mom than it is for you, who merely has to deal with them for 2 minutes while you ring them up. If you can't handle that, get a new job, or become a hermit or something.
Exactly. Maybe I want to give myself a manicure and eat M&Ms while doing it and the only time I can go to the store is between practices and tutoring sessions while my husband is working 50-60 hour work weeks. Maybe I can wait until hubby gets home from work to go. Oh wait, then I'd be an ungrateful, lazy housewife who can't get her **** together and takes advantage her husband. Silly me!

Old 02-27-2015, 07:21 PM

685 posts, read 1,105,853 times
Then go first thing in the morning when it opens. Problem solved. And the same can be said for annyoing adults who take their sweet you know what time at the counter or spend 30 minutes yapping loudly on their cell phones.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
No, I think SOME parents don't give a flying fig about their kids and do things according to whatever is most convenient to them. I am not talking stressed out, overburdened, things get out of control once in in a while situation. I am sick of people coming back with 'I never/rarely see it so it can't be so bad'. It happens, more often than it should, and the majority of it is not 'oh, it couldn't be helped'.

Look there are a bunch of people in here saying the Op is a child hater, or they're making excuses for the behaviour, or saying that it can't really be that bad. I'm just here to point out that it's the parents, NOT the kids, and yes it can be that bad, just because some of you don't see it often doesn't make it not so. Plenty of careless parents out there if you happen to be in a situation to be around them enough to notice.
So tell me, oh great Swami, how do you know which situations are the once in a while type and which are the result of lazy parenting?

Old 02-27-2015, 07:54 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
How can you tell a parent doesn't care? I have a high needs daughter and I promise you there were times I fully disconnected while she flipped out. As perscribed by the therapist and by my own ability to cope. You don't get she was flipping out for 80% of her waking hours for a good 3 years of her life. Maybe I looked like I didn't care? Damn it I did! I just had no answeres. None. Just to get through what I had to as quick as I could. I think every person who gave me a dirty look should have been fined an hour of babysitting time.

God forbid me if I also got nail polish while out getting milk and cheese.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:59 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
Its funny. If I was fully placating her I would have been carrying her, buying every single thing she wanted and opening all sorts of packages for her to eat at that moment. I wonder what the parent police would have thought of me?

Old 02-27-2015, 09:10 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,057,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
So tell me, oh great Swami, how do you know which situations are the once in a while type and which are the result of lazy parenting?
He works retail! He knows all!

Old 02-27-2015, 09:45 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
The problem here is that no one can understand the other's viewpoint until they walk a mile in the other person's shoes.

Developing Empathy: Walk a mile in someone

Parents - think about the viewpoints of the child-free expressed here.
Child-free - think about the viewpoints of the parents (and children).

Perhaps if we all try, we can understand each other a bit more.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:08 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,252,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The problem here is that no one can understand the other's viewpoint until they walk a mile in the other person's shoes.

Developing Empathy: Walk a mile in someone

Parents - think about the viewpoints of the child-free expressed here.
Child-free - think about the viewpoints of the parents (and children).

Perhaps if we all try, we can understand each other a bit more.
Can't rep you but fully agree with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting