Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 07:05 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I believe it was you that brought up the health departments. I've worked for several health departments in several states, and the only one to provide school physicals was in Illinois, probably b/c as a previous poster said, such physicals are required there. And I'll repeat, a person with an ACA compliant policy cannot use goverment services, including health department immunization clinics.
That's not true everywhere. The vaccination clinic at our local health department does not ask any questions about insurance coverage. All vaccines are free for children under 18, regardless of whether they have insurance or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 07:44 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
That's not true everywhere. The vaccination clinic at our local health department does not ask any questions about insurance coverage. All vaccines are free for children under 18, regardless of whether they have insurance or not.
They must have some special funding then. This is fairly new, though. Have you been in say the past 2-3 years?

Old 04-28-2015, 07:56 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
They must have some special funding then. This is fairly new, though. Have you been in say the past 2-3 years?
Yeah, I took my daughter last February. Its the federally funded Vaccines for Children program, according to their website. We have ACA insurance but I'm almost positive they did not ask for her card. Either way, it was free.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Yeah, I took my daughter last February. Its the federally funded Vaccines for Children program, according to their website. We have ACA insurance but I'm almost positive they did not ask for her card. Either way, it was free.
You can't use VFC money for people who are insured. Now if you have Medicaid you can use VFC; also CHIP I believe. There are a lot of nuances to this stuff. They may have some special funding, too. I worked at a health dept. clinic prior to the ACA. We did accept everyone, but we did have to ask if the patients had insurance and keep records. Now this same HD says "Boulder County Public Health (BCPH) immunization clinics are held weekly in Longmont and Boulder for clients under 18 who have Medicaid or do not have insurance."
Immunization Clinics

Old 06-29-2015, 06:47 AM

143 posts, read 133,930 times
I tried posting a response here earlier but for some reason it didn't go through. I am posting this to test it to see if it goes through.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:25 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,012,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSteel View Post
I tried posting a response here earlier but for some reason it didn't go through. I am posting this to test it to see if it goes through.
It worked..

Old 06-29-2015, 11:10 AM

OK so Im able to post on this thread, good. Anyway, as I tried to post last night and it didn't go through so I will try again.

From my experience physical exams are mandatory every year for school from grades K-12. Every year a student needs to get an annual physical exam and the school then has to get the paperwork saying the student got the exam. Maybe its different elsewhere, maybe in some places they don't require this but where Im from that's how it was when I was growing up. Also, from my experience college requires a physical exam. Before you start college anywhere in the USA a physical exam is mandatory and it has to be done within six months of starting college although its only required once, you don't have to get a physical every year while attending college like you do with school before college. Again, this is just my experience.

So anyway, in my original post Im talking about if a teenager refuses to see a certain specific doctor, not all doctors period. In particular, a teenager who does not want to see the pediatrician that they've been seeing since infancy. Especially if they're 18 because a pediatrician is not supposed to see people who are 18 and older. At 18 a person might be starting college and they have to get the physical exam required for college but it should not be done by a pediatrician, certainly not if the person is 18 or older. Somebody on this thread mentioned about a teenager not wanting to see a baby doctor, well that's what a pediatrician is, a baby doctor. A doctor for babies and small children. A pediatrician therefore is not qualified to see people who are 18 and older any more than a dentist is qualified to do heart surgery! So, the teenager might say, "Im 18 I will not see a pediatrician." And besides, the pediatrician shouldn't be seeing an 18 year old anyway and any pediatrician who does should be stripped of their medical license and sent to prison on criminal charges! After all, dentists can't do heart surgery and pediatricians can't see people who are 18 and older. There has to be strict guidelines in the medical field that have to be enforced as it is a very serious field.

Besides, a teenager might have certain criteria for what doctors they see. Among that criteria might be that they wont see a pediatrician, especially if they're 18 and older.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:35 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Our pediatrician will continue to see college students - mainly because they are familiar with their complete health history and many college kids are away from home so seeing the same doctor is offered as a convenience. That said, most kids I know (mine included) reached a point where they felt awkward in the pediatrician's office and we changed to family practice. Not a big deal.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSteel View Post
OK so Im able to post on this thread, good. Anyway, as I tried to post last night and it didn't go through so I will try again.

From my experience physical exams are mandatory every year for school from grades K-12. Every year a student needs to get an annual physical exam and the school then has to get the paperwork saying the student got the exam. Maybe its different elsewhere, maybe in some places they don't require this but where Im from that's how it was when I was growing up. Also, from my experience college requires a physical exam. Before you start college anywhere in the USA a physical exam is mandatory and it has to be done within six months of starting college although its only required once, you don't have to get a physical every year while attending college like you do with school before college. Again, this is just my experience.

So anyway, in my original post Im talking about if a teenager refuses to see a certain specific doctor, not all doctors period. In particular, a teenager who does not want to see the pediatrician that they've been seeing since infancy. Especially if they're 18 because a pediatrician is not supposed to see people who are 18 and older. At 18 a person might be starting college and they have to get the physical exam required for college but it should not be done by a pediatrician, certainly not if the person is 18 or older. Somebody on this thread mentioned about a teenager not wanting to see a baby doctor, well that's what a pediatrician is, a baby doctor. A doctor for babies and small children. A pediatrician therefore is not qualified to see people who are 18 and older any more than a dentist is qualified to do heart surgery! So, the teenager might say, "Im 18 I will not see a pediatrician." And besides, the pediatrician shouldn't be seeing an 18 year old anyway and any pediatrician who does should be stripped of their medical license and sent to prison on criminal charges! After all, dentists can't do heart surgery and pediatricians can't see people who are 18 and older. There has to be strict guidelines in the medical field that have to be enforced as it is a very serious field.

Besides, a teenager might have certain criteria for what doctors they see. Among that criteria might be that they wont see a pediatrician, especially if they're 18 and older.
Most pediatricians do a residency in pediatric and adolescent medicine.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Our pediatrician will continue to see college students - mainly because they are familiar with their complete health history and many college kids are away from home so seeing the same doctor is offered as a convenience. That said, most kids I know (mine included) reached a point where they felt awkward in the pediatrician's office and we changed to family practice. Not a big deal.
Although people often start college at the age of 18, it is not uncommon for people to start college before that. When I was in college I knew many other college students who were 17. That being said, a pediatrician can see college students who are under 18, but once somebody reaches the age of 18 a pediatrician can't see them. The law is the law and in the medical world there are guidelines that have to be followed. Otherwise dentists would be doing heart surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting