Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 09:43 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
That is your point. We get it. And, you're entitled to your feelings. But, the topic of the OP was how would parents handle their child insulting an adult, remember?
If the topic is so important to you, you wouldn't have spent pages upon pages of posts trying to prove me wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 09:45 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Why ask me? You obviously don't care what I feel or think.

The only advice I can give is to step outside of yourself and try to view situations from another person's perspective. Your opinion and perspective is not the only one that matters.

And neither are yours. THAT is my point. You only see what YOU would feel in the situation YOU imagine (the public scene you are so very sure is the only way an apology can happen). You refuse to acknowledge any other experience but your own. Even after clarification. Sounds more like it's all about ... you.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:45 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
If the topic is so important to you, you wouldn't have spent pages upon pages of posts trying to prove me wrong.
My intent was never to prove you wrong. It was to point out that you only speak for yourself, not all adults everywhere.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
No one is there to "be your child's object lesson". That does not relieve us of teaching and expecting manners.

The two of you do not speak for all overweight people - you can only speak for yourselves. Again - How would anyone know whether you (or anyone else) would or wouldn't want an apology? I'd still err on the side of offering the apology.
Yes, exactly!

Old 06-19-2015, 08:17 AM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
I would react the same way I would if my kid had been cruel to any person. I'd sit him/her down and explain that cruelty is wrong and hurtful and a behavior I would not tolerate.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 06-19-2015 at 08:46 AM..

Old 06-19-2015, 09:32 AM

335 posts, read 376,783 times
Its called respect, children learn this from their parents. If a child disrespects someone it usually reflects the parents behavior. However if your child disrespects the wrong person he will get a slap in the face or a down right beating. Then as a parent how ill you feel.?

Old 06-19-2015, 10:09 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,773 times
Theoretically, I think this is simple. I don't have time to read the previous 18 pages so I am sure someone has already suggested something similar.

I think I would just explain to my kid that it is rude to tell strangers, especially adults, something unpleasant about their appearance. I will agree with them that a person is fat but tell them that if they want to talk about this, they can quietly do so with other family members.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:53 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
These should be conversations parents should have with their kids at a young age. When my daughter was just 2, there was a woman who was well over 300 pounds, and she pointed and said in her loud toddler voice (as there is no volume control at that age), "She's fat!" Since then, we've had conversations as we meet new people that are different.

There is a disabled young man at our local drive-thru window. The first time I saw him, I stopped just shy of the window to say to the kids, "don't say anything about this boy and we'll talk about it after we get our food." That turned into another conversation about how not everyone is the same. My kids were 2 & 5 at that moment.

We were at the swimming pool last weekend, and there was a lady missing an arm. I was proud of my daughter (now 7 1/2) for not pointing and making comments, but she quietly asked me if I noticed.

It's not hard to raise polite kids, but it must start with the parents. If the parents have no respect for others, their kids won't be able to show respect either.
I totally agree. The best way to prevent your kid from making fun of fat people is to not make fun of fat people yourself. Often times kids just get in trouble for doing what you inadvertently teach them. I learned that lesson after my then 8 year old daughter told her teacher I didn't like her so she doubted I'd be inviting her to my show. (I was in a band at the time) She said this while I was standing there behind her after the teacher just asked me what time my show was. Needless to say it was an embarrassing punishment I needed. I learned a hard lesson that day as it was only the beginning of the year. It was about to get l o n g. lol

Learned my lesson. I stopped doing and saying the crap I didn't want to see my kids mimic in public to strangers. Something tells me "fat" jokes are a family affair. With the recent talk of fat America and how it's frowned on from the presidents wife all the way down to the toddler I think we will see a lot more harsh remarks toward plump people. It's a sad reality.

Last edited by PoppySead; 06-19-2015 at 11:02 AM..

Old 06-19-2015, 11:25 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Theoretically, I think this is simple. I don't have time to read the previous 18 pages so I am sure someone has already suggested something similar.

I think I would just explain to my kid that it is rude to tell strangers, especially adults, something unpleasant about their appearance. I will agree with them that a person is fat but tell them that if they want to talk about this, they can quietly do so with other family members.

So speaking rudely directly to a person is unacceptable, but mean spirited gossip and speculation of physical and character traits of others is ok as long as they are out of earshot?

Not the lesson I'd be after or the example I'd want to set.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:34 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,024,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post

So speaking rudely directly to a person is unacceptable, but mean spirited gossip and speculation of physical and character traits of others is ok as long as they are out of earshot?

Not the lesson I'd be after or the example I'd want to set.
So someone noticing that someone is fat is mean spirited gossip? If they are they are, just like if they're tall, short or different in another way. Parents are absolutely able to discuss differences between people in a supportive private environment or are we to pretend we're all clones?

I'm sorry, but this is where things have gone too far. People are different sizes, shapes, colours. They wear different clothes for cultural and style reasons. They have tattoos and piercings. These are FACTS not speculation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting