Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2015, 12:04 PM

804 posts, read 1,076,431 times

Advertisements

I had a kid make some comments about my weight once at a store. I looked directly at the mom and said what a wonderful person your son was raised by they must be truly gifted with smarts and manners. the woman turned bright red and didn't say a word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 12:23 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
I had a kid make some comments about my weight once at a store. I looked directly at the mom and said what a wonderful person your son was raised by they must be truly gifted with smarts and manners. the woman turned bright red and didn't say a word.

Good on you for defending yourself.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:25 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Why are you so intent to make someone that has been insulted indure further embarrassment?

Believe me...a kid forced to mumble "sorry I called you fat" is just another paper cut for someone that already is well aware of their wieght.
If that's a concern, have the kid write a letter of apology that they think that person will receive. Then don't give it to the person.

It'll teach the kid to make amends for their actions without embarrassing the person in question.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:37 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,415,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I just got in from the water park and noticed two disturbing incidents of relatively young kids (probably under 10) poking fun of fat adults on the lazy river to their face. While kids will often just blurt something out, the parents didn't seem to correct the kids. Had I said something like that, my mother would have been after me!

Would you discipline your child for publicly insulting a fat person?

I have disciplined both of my kids for less, future leaders, lead by example. There is no half way.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:41 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
If that's a concern, have the kid write a letter of apology that they think that person will receive. Then don't give it to the person.

It'll teach the kid to make amends for their actions without embarrassing the person in question.
How does that work in a situation such as the OP, or really, any case where it's a stranger? Not everybody who responded thought the apology was cause for further embarrassment. And, I just don't see how a face-to-face apology is equal to a taunt yelled out loud.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:03 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
How does that work in a situation such as the OP, or really, any case where it's a stranger? Not everybody who responded thought the apology was cause for further embarrassment. And, I just don't see how a face-to-face apology is equal to a taunt yelled out loud.
It's been explained several times. I believe your previously held perception of apologies is preventing you from understanding another point of view.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:18 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I would not shame a kid for speaking the truth. THAT would be wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
So you'd have no problem with someone pointing at you and saying "look at that heartless and ill-mannered loud mouth"?
I was thinking more along the lines of "Hey Mom, Look at that Rude, Stupid Jerk! I can't believe that he just said..."

to the girl in the wheelchair, or the elderly man, or the disabled war veteran, or the child with Down Syndrome, or the bald woman on chemotherapy or to you.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-18-2015 at 05:42 PM..

Old 06-18-2015, 05:46 PM

70 posts, read 77,244 times
Id also correct my kid in public and apologize. The insults were meant to publicly embarrass, and so would my correction of my kid. It would also add credibility to my apology. To do less would be enabling bad behavior I think.
People who think "kids will be kids", usually only think that as long as their kids are the offenders.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:00 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
It's been explained several times. I believe your previously held perception of apologies is preventing you from understanding another point of view.
And, as I said, the ability to graciously accept an apology is as important as the ability to offer one.

I was responding to another poster btw. You never did answer whether or not you ever directed a child to apologize.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:17 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,709,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
And, as I said, the ability to graciously accept an apology is as important as the ability to offer one.

I was responding to another poster btw. You never did answer whether or not you ever directed a child to apologize.
Do you know what heavy people put up with? I've been skinny...I've been heavy and back again.....and being fat shamed is not exactly the same as being bumped into or having your toe stepped on.

You are showing a complete disregard for the victim here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting