Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2015, 06:22 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You don't have to accept the apology, you can turn on your heels and walk away. It seems counter-productive though. Why wouldn't you recognize the parent is attempting teach their child that when you wrong somebody, an apology is expected?
How it counter-productive?

Why should I have to be further humiliated in public?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 10:09 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,434,906 times
I have made it a point to teach my children from a very young age that it is NEVER ok to make fun of someone's appearance. Ever. And we've never had an issue.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:41 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
How it counter-productive?

Why should I have to be further humiliated in public?

I truly don't get this. How is an apology humiliating?

Old 06-17-2015, 11:27 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,024,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
It draws further attention to something that is already embarrassing. When a kid is forced to do it its rarely genuine and more about the parent than the target of the unkind remark.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
It draws further attention to something that is already embarrassing. When a kid is forced to do it its rarely genuine and more about the parent than the target of the unkind remark.

And to me, having nothing done is even more embarrassing. But, to each his/her own I guess.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:43 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
That is exactly it tlvancouver. As I said, I'm not here to be someone's Afterschool Special or learning experience. I want to live my life and be left alone.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
That is exactly it tlvancouver. As I said, I'm not here to be someone's Afterschool Special or learning experience. I want to live my life and be left alone.

This is low self esteem at it's finest.

It's not about being an Afterschool Special.

My thought on this is that I am a human being and when a wrong has been done to me, I deserve and demand that it be made right. I am worth that. So are you. But, if you don't think so what can we do?

And we are all a learning experience for kids just by being out in public with them. Isn't that how you learned things?

Old 06-17-2015, 12:05 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Quote:
This is low self esteem at it's finest.

It's not about being an Afterschool Special.

My thought on this is that I am a human being and when a wrong has been done to me, I deserve and demand that it be made right. I am worth that. So are you. But, if you don't think so what can we do?

And we are all a learning experience for kids just by being out in public with them. Isn't that how you learned things?
You would think.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:16 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,246,324 times
Quote:
Kids are taught at PRESCHOOL and sometimes they still say dumb ****.
Yeah like when I took my kids on a cruise to Vietnam and China and my 11 year old said "why are there so many Asians here" in the loudest voice you've ever heard.

Fat Shaming is CRUEL and unnecessary and the child is usually repeating what he's heard from adults.

End of.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:29 PM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegendesLicht View Post
I am not responsible for the health of other people. I am only responsible for my kids growing up healthy and strong, including physical strength and fitness. If they correctly identify fatness as a bad, undesirable trait that people should be ashamed of, it is only a good thing. Now, if they pointed to someone fat and said: "wow, how pretty, I want to look like her!" - that would be cause for punishment. However, that is unlikely to happen. Most kids have good genetic instinct, unless conditioned otherwise. And I intend to give every kind of good example to my children, both in healthy eating and in sport.

Disabilities - that is an entire different matter. You never know if that guy who is lacking a leg is a world class sportsman who lost his leg while climbing the Everest. That is strength. Fatness is not.
I hope you are not serious, but, unfortunately, I think you are.

The fact is that some people are fat because they truly cannot help it -- although I do think that probably at least 95% of overweight people are overweight because of poor diet and not enough exercise. Even if there are only a very few exceptions (like .0001%), that still would mean that not everyone is fat because of poor diet or exercise.

And if you truly would PUNISH your child for saying a fat person is pretty, I would think that you are a very bad parent.

(Btw, I am a healthy weight, not that that has anything to do with my opinion.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting