Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 04:38 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by energy2 View Post
What's wrong with giving kids everything they want?
IF children grow up getting EVERTHING they want..THEY grow up to be Tea Party mentality folks who refuse to do anything with out getting 100% of their wishes..

LOL Joking aside..Kids basically have to brought up with that nuance..THEY are good ..HOWEVER..A BIG HOWEVER....They also need to learn their are consequences ( not beatings or depredations either)..but accountable for their actions..(Important to articulate in their language level..It's the BEHAVIOUR or DECISION that Wrong)...and encourage dialogue....Then of course praise when good behaviours surfaces...Balance is..both sides of equations should never be "Over the Top"...

As children grow up..they do learn social morales and right from wrong..Truth and Lies and consequences are far less IF honest..

Then..finally "Consistency" is the key!! You can't allow BAD stuff sometimes..then come down on them at other times...Teach them the difference between right from wrong starting basic..and evolve as they grow, learn and interact with others outside your home ( School/playing in schoolyard/Participating in Sports)....You will do just fine OP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 05:32 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,857,927 times
Quote:
If you just give them everything they want in the first place, then you won't lose their respect.

I hope you are kidding, and if not, I hope you don't raise any kids of your own.

Don

Old 10-10-2015, 06:02 PM

50,387 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Kids really need to work for things. I know it makes us parents feel good when we can give them everything, but we owe it to them to let them learn that they are capable of doing things for themselves.
Society is making this harder and harder, compared to the way it was. When children get rewarded for merely participating in sports, or when they receive grades that they don't deserve, what message does this send?
Simple things like making children responsible for getting up and dressed on time, or following a schedule, empowers them. If they can have chores that contribute to the family, it makes them proud of themselves.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:06 PM

123 posts, read 82,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Come back and tell us after you have a kid.

Can you answer a question without asking another question and not answering the original question?

Old 10-10-2015, 07:16 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Can you answer a question without asking another question and not answering the original question?
I taught you that lesson yesterday when I proved you wrong the first time. Besides, that wasn't a question.

How about YOU you answer the ONE question everyone has asked you?

Old 10-10-2015, 07:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:

And what is wrong with kids thinking the world revolves around them? Every kid should think that!
How old are you?

Old 10-10-2015, 07:32 PM

510 posts, read 717,095 times
The last poster is just trying to get a rise out of people. And it's working.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:51 PM

590 posts, read 715,068 times
Holy cow guys!!! Thanks for the replies! I have allot to read through.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:20 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,475,707 times
Quote:
Why shouldn't they feel entitled to certain treatment and things?

If she is the oldest sibling, she should decide what movie she watches.

Isn't there enough TV's in the house for each child to watch their own movie anyway?

Why can't she pick which cereal she eats? Why can't each child have their own cereal?

And why can't she just do her homework later? I doubt a 7-year old gets much homework that she cannot watch a movie.

And what is wrong with kids thinking the world revolves around them? Every kid should think that!
Seriously!? Is this being sarcastic? No way do children get to dictate. I am an educator and, no, this child is not entitled to her way in these issues. Why does any child need to have their choice of every little thing? What's wrong with, here is a bowl of 'whatever' cereal? Why shouldn't she do homework first? No, every child shouldn't think the world revolves around them as it surely doesn't. They are not ENTITLED.

Last edited by tangelag; 10-10-2015 at 10:35 PM..

Old 10-10-2015, 10:35 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,475,707 times
To the OP. Your question and concerns are very important, especially in our current society. I applaud you for recognizing your role as a parent in shaping your children's social / emotional well-being. You should be concerned. I am currently working in a middle school and the need is great. We have got to do something. I was reading recently where someone said, 'What are you going to do this year to make the world a better place?" There are things we can do. I decided I would incorporate the teaching of these vital skills through literature.

I have for years as an educator with preschoolers used an approach: "For Now and Forever: A Family Guide for Promoting the Social and Emotional Development of Infants and Toddlers", which "supports families in understanding what social and emotional health of infants and toddlers is, how to recognize key behaviors, and how to support children's social/ emotional health in the home setting in simple ways everyday." It is literature based, using children's books, many of them classics, to teach such skills.

Now in a middle school setting, my student population is naturally different in regard to literary needs. So, just last week I ordered/received my copy of "Mind in the Making: The Seven Essential Life Skills Every Child Needs". These seven skills are:

focus and self control
perspective taking
communicating
making connections
critical thinking
taking on challenges
self-directed, engaged learning

"This book describes strategies for teachers in their classrooms--and for families at home--to foster these critical cognitive and social-emotional skills." I'm collecting the associated books now. I'm really excited about using the techniques and sharing them with other teachers and parents.

I want to do something to help. Everyday I am surrounded by students who lack these crucial skills and if I can do something to help them, I will.

OP, your children are very fortunate that you have recognized their need and are willing to accept and act on your responsibility to help shape them into the best people they can be. Bravo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting