Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 08:52 AM

590 posts, read 715,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I believe schools should force kids today, like once a year, to watch some documentary films on child labor from 100-200 years ago, to compare their current lives with those other lives.

I just read Coal/A Human History, and back in the 1700's/1800's in England, Scotland, they would have children as young as 5-6-7YO working in those coal mines, sending those kinds into mine shafts 40 inches high and 18 inches wide, along with the rats, which are indispensable to miners. These kids would oftentimes spend a week down in those mines!

Or how about the child labor in the manufacturing plants in Manchester, where the life expectancy was only 17 years, where these children would work 12-14 and even 16-hour shifts. And due to all the lack of sunlight in their lives, 50% of the children suffered from Rickets.

Now wouldn't this be eye-openers to these spoiled kids today! Watch these films, and complaints eliminated?
I highly doubt that this would have the effect on kids you think it would. It's kind of the same idea of the good ol' "I walked to school uphill both ways in the snow when I was your age". I remember being told that and every time was like "yeah thats great, but see this thing here with 2 wheels..its a bicycle and I'm going to ride it to school vs. walking, because I can...".

I have always resented ideas and things my elders have communicated to me in regards to how easy I have it vs how they had it. Its like why are you even bringing it up? I'm still responsible, I'm not spoiled. The fact that you had to walk to school in the bitter cold doesn't tell me anything about how your character was formed. If anything, it tells me about how little your parents cared for your well-being. Theres a difference between tough love and just carelessness and outright stupidity.

The reality of how to instill responsible traits in a child is being diligent and more stubborn that your kid(s). It has to be a habit forming homelife, the same things every single day. When my oldest comes home from school(only one in school right now with homework) she knows to sit down and do her homework right away and then once done she can choose to play outside or downstairs. No TV, no computer, no video games, No "slouching". There is structure in our household, its not a free for all. There is a time to work, a time to play, a time to relax. Bed times are the same all the time, my oldest is 7 and wakes up to an alarm clock every morning. Some say thats way to early to have her wake up to an alarm clock. But is it ever too early to teach responsibility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting