Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 10:59 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,284,590 times

Advertisements

This may seem old fashioned and maybe not something you care to do.

We took our kids to religious services every week and they were involved with scouts. They learned to respect others, work on projects to help others, be responsible, make good decisions, look at the big picture, be patient, recognize right and wrong, and learned useful skills.

I had a friend who was one of the top money people in San Francisco who used the Thanksgiving holiday to insist her kids go to a shelter to help feed the homeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 11:01 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,722,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by energy2 View Post
Why shouldn't they feel entitled to certain treatment and things?

If she is the oldest sibling, she should decide what movie she watches.

Isn't there enough TV's in the house for each child to watch their own movie anyway?

Why can't she pick which cereal she eats? Why can't each child have their own cereal?

And why can't she just do her homework later? I doubt a 7-year old gets much homework that she cannot watch a movie.

And what is wrong with kids thinking the world revolves around them? Every kid should think that!
No....just no. I agree the OP is a bit much.....but this is pretty terrible advice. The oldest doesn't always get to choose what her siblings watch....having homework done first is what works for many families. You'd be surprised at lower elementary homework these days.....and many kids are natural dawdle-ers....especially if they don't feel they have much control over other things.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
If you just give them everything they want in the first place, then you won't lose their respect.
Now you are just trolling.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:11 AM

773 posts, read 789,110 times
Pay close attention to how you react to their protests, whining, tantrums, etc. If you find their displeasure with certain things causes a reaction in you that wants to do something to make things better for them, and you do so, you are contributing to making them feel entitled and that their happiness comes before everything else.

It's hard. As parents we want to make our children happy. But we have to be careful what message that sends. When you give a child something, the next time you have to outdo the last gift if you want to see joy from your child. Don't get caught in that trap. The more you make them earn what they get, the more they will work to get something better.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:11 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,509,502 times
Gonna be a long fall break.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:07 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,931,339 times
Quote:
Why shouldn't she be herself? You act as if she should grow out of it.

And what sorts of unreasonable requests do you want her to say no to?
You have to learn to look out for yourself. If you teach a kid that in order to be a good person, they have to do everything that anyone else wants them to, it sets them up to be taken advantage of as an adult. I had that problem...my mom always taught me that I'd go to hell if I didn't help everyone as much as I was able to, give my clothes away if they needed them (mostly to my younger sister, because my mom wouldn't buy her any and I had a job so I could buy clothes), do anything at work that my boss asked me to, etc. I had to learn as an adult that my time was valuable, that when my boss asked me to work 90 hours a week on salary it was okay to say no, that I didn't need to give things to people if it meant that my own family would go without, etc. I still have trouble saying no to my mother...I almost bled to death two years ago because I was taking care of her and she wouldn't go home and let my sister take care of her so I could go to the hospital. So I have a new philosophy of being a little bit selfish and teaching my kids to be the same way, to value themselves enough to know their time is important and that it's okay to keep their belongings if they are still using them.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:16 PM

5,297 posts, read 5,254,997 times
Quote:

Isn't there enough TV's in the house for each child to watch their own movie anyway?

Why can't she pick which cereal she eats? Why can't each child have their own cereal?

And why can't she just do her homework later? I doubt a 7-year old gets much homework that she cannot watch a movie.

And what is wrong with kids thinking the world revolves around them? Every kid should think that!
I cant figure out if you are just trying to be funny, or if you are just one of those entitled kids.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:18 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,225,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
You have to learn to look out for yourself. If you teach a kid that in order to be a good person, they have to do everything that anyone else wants them to, it sets them up to be taken advantage of as an adult. I had that problem...my mom always taught me that I'd go to hell if I didn't help everyone as much as I was able to, give my clothes away if they needed them (mostly to my younger sister, because my mom wouldn't buy her any and I had a job so I could buy clothes), do anything at work that my boss asked me to, etc. I had to learn as an adult that my time was valuable, that when my boss asked me to work 90 hours a week on salary it was okay to say no, that I didn't need to give things to people if it meant that my own family would go without, etc. I still have trouble saying no to my mother...I almost bled to death two years ago because I was taking care of her and she wouldn't go home and let my sister take care of her so I could go to the hospital. So I have a new philosophy of being a little bit selfish and teaching my kids to be the same way, to value themselves enough to know their time is important and that it's okay to keep their belongings if they are still using them.
Wow.

Obviously there is a happy medium between being too selfish and too self-less.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:15 PM

28,711 posts, read 18,878,579 times
Quote:

I call "Poe!"

Old 10-10-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I call "Poe!"
His whole posting history is a tribute to Edgar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting