Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 09:09 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
My eldest is also 6 so my kids aren't capable of a whole lot just yet. Basically at this point I make sure they clean up after themselves, put all their dirty clothes in the bin, bring dirty dishes to the sink, clean up the playroom, etc. Our kitchen cabinets were made for tall people so they can't really get their own cereal or anything like that yet without lugging a stepstool around the kitchen lol.

When I was a child, my mother did everything for me and let me concentrate on school work. As a result, I did very well in school and have a good job now. As an adult, I found it very easy to learn things like how to do laundry or wash dishes, or clean the kitchen, and I remember watching my mom doing it (she set a very good example) so I never had a problem with that. I have, however, had lots of problems trying to learn how to cook - it's a bit of an art form and without the early exposure I seem to be missing the knack. That's been hard. So as a parent I've asked my husband to teach our kids to cook starting early so they won't have the same problem. So we're going to try and do that lol.
Me too. My husband loves to cook and he does it pretty well. The kids see him cooking a lot and they like to help him. I hope they pick up some things from him. I can make the basics so if they ask for grilled cheese, french toast, eggs or pasta I can do it though my son prefers dad's french toast as I make it one way and he another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 09:40 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
My 11 and 9 year old daughters have chores. So they load and unload the dishwasher, take out the trash, tidy up the living room when I ask, feed the cats when/if they need to be fed, and are tasked to keep their room tidy (or clean it when needed). They also help with laundry and baby related things. They can cook basic things like grilled cheese sandwiches, scrambled eggs, help with baking and cooking, and they make their own snacks and simple meals. My 9 year old likes to vacuum and do other house chores.

They're pretty self-sufficient, and like the independence. (they have been excellent about this from a rather young age) My son is 6. He's in charge with keeping his room tidy, but we still help, and he does simple, basic tasks. He knows how to make sandwiches, make a bowl of cereal, but not always without making a little mess. He's expected to do his best at cleaning up.

All three are really helpful with their little sister, my 13 month old.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:49 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
I was sort of hoping to hear from people who do do a lot of stuff for their kids. I know someone who makes breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner for her kids (7 and 12) every day. She does all the laundry, cleaning... She works outside of the home, and still does everything for the kids. Kids in elementary with no responsibilities in the home at all. I did not know her well enough to ask her what the rationale behind it was.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:07 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
I do the laundry. My ten year old unloads the groceries, cooks at least 3 meals a week for the family, unloads the dishwasher, keeps a clean room, and helps out when asked. She loves cooking, so that was an easy addition. She hates cleaning the bathroom and dishes, so that's on a "ask for help" basis. I pick my battles, LOL.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I was sort of hoping to hear from people who do do a lot of stuff for their kids. I know someone who makes breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner for her kids (7 and 12) every day. She does all the laundry, cleaning... She works outside of the home, and still does everything for the kids. Kids in elementary with no responsibilities in the home at all. I did not know her well enough to ask her what the rationale behind it was.
It could be a time thing for her as in it's faster if she does it all herself or it could be a "I like it done this way only and the kids can't do it my way good enough" thing.

I know a family that has their kids do a lot of the cleaning and it shows. The kids are ES age and while I think it's great the skills they are teaching them they need to go behind them a bit at times.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:35 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
It could be a time thing for her as in it's faster if she does it all herself or it could be a "I like it done this way only and the kids can't do it my way good enough" thing.
Or maybe a little bit of both. I like to get chores done fast AND I prefer the way I do some of them. For instance, I'm the only person in the house who loads the dishwasher the "right" way, so that is my job. I don't worry that my kids will grow into adults who are unable to load their own dishwashers, but they will probably be adults who don't do it my way.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Or maybe a little bit of both. I like to get chores done fast AND I prefer the way I do some of them. For instance, I'm the only person in the house who loads the dishwasher the "right" way, so that is my job. I don't worry that my kids will grow into adults who are unable to load their own dishwashers, but they will probably be adults who don't do it my way.
We never used our dishwasher when I was growing up. I was the dishwasher doing them by hand. I can't load a dishwasher to my husband's satisfaction to save my life!

Old 01-07-2016, 11:01 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:

The question comes up about the balance between doing FOR your kids (laundry, fetching their forgotten lunch to their school, making their lunches...) and requiring/expecting your kids to do for themselves. Obviously this is going to depend on age. Which way do you tend and why?

Depends on their individual maturity levels, but when I felt it was time for a child to start learning personal responsibility, I stopped doing certain things. When they were tall enough to reach the knobs comfortably, they started doing the laundry. When they were old enough to be safe doing it, they started cleaning their bathroom. I never brought forgotten lunches because I work and no way to take it to them, so they learned pretty fast to never forget lunch. They made sure they have it in the car before they buckle the seatbelt. They got to where they wouldn't let the car start without those seatbelts buckled and the lunch beside them. We didn't put them in bookbags because then you can't see if it's there or not. Once it's in the car, they put it in their bookbag.

My grandkids are 4 & 6, and they clean their own rooms. If they don't keep up with it during the week, my daughter goes in there with a trashbag and says, "You know what to do!" They know that if the room isn't clean in half an hour, she goes through there with that trashbag and takes all the toys that are still out, and donates them. She only had to do it once.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:13 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
I bet that people who do everything for their kids think that everyone else is crazy.

Sadly, it is the kids who suffer in the end, when they move out on their own and can not handle the basics of life.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:30 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
We all have chores or responsibilities in my house.

My husband works, and his chore is to take the garbage can down. He takes care of the yard, depending on his schedule (right now he's on the overnight shift and it's dark by the time he wakes up, so the yard is mine for now).

I cook dinner 5 nights a week, do laundry and general cleaning. We homeschool, so that's a big portion of my daily work.

My 13 year old fills the ice cube trays, empties the trash, feeds the fish and the birds. She does these things without being reminded to do them, which is great.

My 10 year old cooks dinner 2 nights a week, cleans the bathroom she shares with her sister, and feeds the dogs. She also helps me clean the guinea pig cage, since it's a two-person chore.

Both kids keep the classroom clean and they help me clean the living room, their hallway and the kitchen a couple times a week.

The reason I'm the only one who does laundry is that I'm particular about laundry. The kids know how to wash clothes but aren't as careful as I am. My husband can do laundry as well as I can and we shared it equally when we both worked, but now it's my chore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting