Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 12:43 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Actually, stopping in the midst of an action itself is very abstract, and quite far along in terms of brain development. Then being able to reason through the posssible outcomes and weight them? Abstract indeed.

There is 40 years of research on brain development and abstract reasoning. This isn't an opinion, it is fact, that children's brains develop well into their teens and sometimes beyond. It is odd to me that people think children can think and reason exactly like adults. Why else do we differentiate between the actions of teens and adults?

We all know grown adults whose thinking has not progressed much past grade 2

Why not children that demonstrate the reverse with the right NURTURE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 12:57 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
Good Lord people saying children cant think

I did when I was a kid

a Latchkey child - bringing myself up

Maybe its a matter of IQ

The apple doesn't fall very far from the tree, etc

my children are about The Only Ones they know who never got tattoos.

Despite all the Peer Pressure and the Tattoos On Everyone of the current day - not my kids. Nope they said, how stupid, they said, what if you change your mind.

But I fully understand if some folks children are not capable of such advanced reasoning.

Some kids they went to school with could barely eat with a knife and fork let alone use their brains.
Hold on a minute. I HATE tats. I think they are cheap and crass and everything else but to say somebody who has them isn't intelligent is way out of line. Did you know Fred Rogers of Mr. Rogers neighborhood had full sleeve tats and that is why he always wore long sleeves? My math professor in college had tats all over the place and he was one of the kindest most intelligent people I've ever known. There are scores of incredibly talented and intelligent people who have tats and plenty of stupid ones who don't.

Some of the most intelligent people in the world are just plain lazy and no amount of brains will ever change that. My own brother ranked off the charts in IQ but died drunk and in debt after 3 failed marriages, several failed careers and he never even saw his 58th birthday.

I'm glad you are proud of your children. I am proud of mine too. But I am intelligent enough to know , no matter what wonderful parents we are / were we are very lucky. I think you are throwing stones around and have hit the wrong people.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Oh peacock poo, there is no *One Secret* every child is as individual as every special snowflake and without an owners manual, guideline, handbook or good luck gold star no parent is going to be perfect and their children are not perfect either. Sometimes you just get lucky and have great kids in spite of their parents and the environment they were raised in, then there are those kids who end up being criminals/drug addicts in spite of thier parents and the environment they were raised in.
Speaking of Comprehension,

How do you get One Secret out of My Personal Secret?

You've actually changed what I said.

F for Fail on Comprehension

Old 02-13-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Hold on a minute. I HATE tats. I think they are cheap and crass and everything else but to say somebody who has them isn't intelligent is way out of line. Did you know Fred Rogers of Mr. Rogers neighborhood had full sleeve tats and that is why he always wore long sleeves? My math professor in college had tats all over the place and he was one of the kindest most intelligent people I've ever known. There are scores of incredibly talented and intelligent people who have tats and plenty of stupid ones who don't.

Some of the most intelligent people in the world are just plain lazy and no amount of brains will ever change that. My own brother ranked off the charts in IQ but died drunk and in debt after 3 failed marriages, several failed careers and he never even saw his 58th birthday.

I'm glad you are proud of your children. I am proud of mine too. But I am intelligent enough to know , no matter what wonderful parents we are / were we are very lucky. I think you are throwing stones around and have hit the wrong people.

I love tats, my kids love tats

but they understood without me having to lecture them, that getting a tattoo is like only wearing one pair of shoes for the rest of your life, no matter how much fashion may change, no matter how sloppy and worn out your shoes become, you can wear no other, ever.

Tats are FABULOUS on other people but apparently my children display the same Foresight and Contemplation I did as a young wild un myself.

I do believe that my children, like myself, would be somewhat embarrassed by a tattoo, because they would consider it a mark that you haven't properly contemplated the Shoe Analogy.

Their much loved cousins and uncles are covered in them, and my kids just and say, well, they didn't think that through.

Last edited by Bonnie Jean McGee; 02-13-2016 at 01:13 PM..

Old 02-13-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It also sounds as if you had respect for their feelings and opinions. This is what I consider a key to child raising. My kids were respectful of my feelings and opinions, because I treated them that way. Even a tiny baby responds to being heard and its feeling respected.
We used to Talk a Lot

im glad I had em just before the Iphones came in

mealtimes were sit down and talk, old fashioned style - this is where most of my Motherly Advice was dispensed

We would talk about anything at all - from gun control to rape to the kids at school to Africa to the Eiffel Tower, menstruation, sexuality, nothing was Off Limits.

I would answer any question as honestly as I could but I would encourage them to Check, even check what I'd just said.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:13 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
I find it very interesting that someone declaring themselves to be such a perfect parent married someone she eventually divorced and referred to as "tin". Amazing!

Old 02-13-2016, 01:20 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
We all know grown adults whose thinking has not progressed much past grade 2

Why not children that demonstrate the reverse with the right NURTURE?
Because we are talking about a PHYSICAL trait. Can you nurture a child into early puberty? Can you nurture a child into walking at 2 months old?

Once the trait is developing, you can encourage kids to practice using it. But no, you cannot cause them to develop earlier than they are biologically going to through NURTURE.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
Of course, preschoolers pretend to do stuff and know it's not real. But being informed of the consequence of an action, figuring out that a substitute behavior has similar benefits and reduced costs, and making a choice based on that knowledge does, IMO, demonstrate some ability to do a cost-benefit analysis and act upon it.
A cost benefit analysis? Are you serious? Because he pretended to do something?

Old 02-13-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I avoided trouble as a teen

and a child

Why? Because I thought things through, from an extremely early age.

At 4 I remember persuading the other kids we could go and play with the teachers guitar sat in her office because she wasn't there and wouldn't know.

Advanced comprehension of quite Adult Concepts don't you think? Put a bunch of 4 year olds in a room and ONE of them will be That Precocious.

Will it be the child with the Smother Mother, or the child with the Mother that advises them they have a brain and to use it, from toddlerhood on?

Who will be the Next Leaders of this world?
Generally speaking, people who are precocious and intelligent don't Randomly Capitalize some Words

and

avoid writing

with weird spacing rather

than using paragraphs.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:27 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
Unhinged
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting