Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2017, 02:59 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,732,494 times

Advertisements

In the US, you can call your kids anything. In Denmark, you can actually get a name rejected if it's too over the top. T'was a time when it was much harder to deviate from the official name list. Now the list includes many foreign names and is very long for both boys and girls. Here's the first page of boy names: https://ast.dk/born-familie/navne/na...1&startswith=A

I notice that "Ace" is not on it, but "Duke" is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 07:24 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,388,775 times
Gaylord or Donald.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:35 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,334,326 times
I have a male cousin called BJ. That wouldn't work for me.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:38 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,327,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Any ghetto names. What are these parents thinking? Is D'lontrasha going to be the president of your bank? I don't think so.

Also, Makayla or any variation of that name. It's so white trash.

I fell in love with the name Michaela because of Dr. Quinn - Medicine Woman in the 90's.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:45 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,327,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
Anything dull and boring like my name Kate or Ben or anything common and dull.
After doing genealogy so long it really helps to have a rare name,I'm an artistic type too so I like rare poetic names.
I would never name my child after something I saw on tv,it would have to be historical and meaningful.

I would name my son fianna after the ancient Irish band of warriors.

Fianna is pretty but I picture it more for a girl because of the a at the end. Is it pronounced like it looks Fee Anna?

Old 01-04-2017, 08:57 AM

14,327 posts, read 11,724,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You know, I'd really be interested to learn what the long-term career track in terms of hiring, earning, and promotion is for those with that kind of name versus standard names such as Michael or Cynthia.
There have been studies about this, such as this one: Employers' Replies to Racial Names

Resumes with "white" names received 50% more callbacks than resumes with "black" names like Lakisha and Jamal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I fell in love with the name Michaela because of Dr. Quinn - Medicine Woman in the 90's.
It was a wildly unrealistic name for a woman in the "Old West" in the 1860s--the first examples noted in the US were in 1932--but it obviously struck a chord with 1990s parents.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:59 AM

14,956 posts, read 12,166,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
LOL...I was agreeing until you got to Hunter. I like that name. Of course it would be unfortunate if you named your son that and he turned out to be a wimp.
LOL, it's just a personal dislike of the name Hunter, IMO it's like saddling a kid with a trade, or occupation type name, like "Baker", "Plumber", "Electrician", although that is exactly how many surnames came about.

I had a coworker one time who insisted on naming her baby-a girl- Hunter, and apparently she even overrode her husband's wishes when she did so.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:35 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,594,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
Anything dull and boring like my name Kate or Ben or anything common and dull.
After doing genealogy so long it really helps to have a rare name,I'm an artistic type too so I like rare poetic names.
I would never name my child after something I saw on tv,it would have to be historical and meaningful.

I would name my son fianna after the ancient Irish band of warriors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Fianna is pretty but I picture it more for a girl because of the a at the end. Is it pronounced like it looks Fee Anna?
That's exactly what would happen. Anyone seeing Fianna on paper or on a screen will be expecting to see a woman. I read a book once about how names influence one's perception of a person they haven't yet met. Very interesting. If my screen name were AlaskaMaynard, everyone would imagine a totally different person. And it wouldn't be good! And yes, my name really is Erik.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:21 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
There have been studies about this, such as this one: Employers' Replies to Racial Names

Resumes with "white" names received 50% more callbacks than resumes with "black" names like Lakisha and Jamal.

It was a wildly unrealistic name for a woman in the "Old West" in the 1860s--the first examples noted in the US were in 1932--but it obviously struck a chord with 1990s parents.
Interestingly, this teacher (who is white) is named Jamaal. The perceptions of people on just hearing his name are fascinating.

6 Words: 'My Name Is Jamaal ... I'm White' : NPR

Quote:
Jamaal Allan, a high school teacher in Des Moines, Iowa, should know. To the surprise of many who have only seen his name, Allan is white. And that's taken him on a lifelong odyssey of racial encounters.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
Some names are overdone and should be globally "retired". John and Joe I'm looking at you!
I love John! I agree, I don't care for Joe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I have a male cousin called BJ. That wouldn't work for me.
I don't like that either. Some parents obviously think it's cute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting