Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2017, 08:50 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
This reminded me of the in-home daycare my older son was in. Well, he was the only child, so not sure if you could call it "daycare". It was the wife of a Lebanese man that I worked with. She wouldn't cook anything out of a can or package, only fresh food. She made her own bread and pasta. One day I came to pick him up and her teenagers were teaching my son Italian.

It was also very comforting as a new mother in my early twenties to have an older and wiser person to discuss my child's particular habits, growth and needs. (This was before the internet). To know that this or that is completely normal and not something to worry about was a huge relief to me.
Me too! My MIL died before my daughter was born and my mother was having health issues when my daughter was an infant so I didn't really have anyone experienced I could turn to. Our caregiver had taken care of children in her home for 40 years and had raised two of her own and cared for grandchildren. She was a wealth of knowledge and I loved having her in our lives.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
What I find interesting is that the posters here who are stamping their feet about working mothers being bad mothers or even bad people, have felt the need to resort to personal attacks to make their point. "YOU must feel..." "Your kids must be..."

Many of us are able to have a calm and logical discussion without resorting to those methods. My ego is just fine without it. I'm secure enough in my parenting to know that someone else holding or feeding or watching my baby sleep did not take away from the love or the bond with my own children. And they turned out great.
Yes, and this awful "defensive" accusation. The cardinal sin of mental health, defending oneself against attackers. You're just supposed to sit back and agree with them.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:53 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It depends. A child raised by a self-righteous, judgmental, close-minded mother will grow up with stunted intelligence and social skills, no matter how many hours she spends dangling jingly toys over her baby while watching the soaps. A good substitute at a daycare in such a case may well teach a child things that are lacking in the home, thereby setting the child on the path to a better life.
yes, another one-off random justification.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:59 AM

554 posts, read 684,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Shocking at the absolute refusal to say: Infants need their moms.

Why bother having children at all? Just smh. Mothers who refuse to say infants needs them. Mothers who believe that daycare takes better care of their babies then they do. Just so pitiful.
I really feel for the widowed working dads who might be reading this post. A good friend of mine died from cancer when her son was not quite a year old. They had an older child as well. What was dad supposed to do? He had to make a living to care for the 2 boys. Reading through these posts makes me shudder to think what he (or any other parent who lost a mom for any reason) would feel about the "negative impact" of childcare on infants, let alone thinking of the impact on his boys from losing their mom so young.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdragon8212 View Post
I really feel for the widowed working dads who might be reading this post. A good friend of mine died from cancer when her son was not quite a year old. They had an older child as well. What was dad supposed to do? He had to make a living to care for the 2 boys. Reading through these posts makes me shudder to think what he (or any other parent who lost a mom for any reason) would feel about the "negative impact" of childcare on infants, let alone thinking of the impact of his boys from losing their mom so young.
This. ^^^

And what about the fact that children need time with their fathers also? In some (not all) families where there is a SAHP, the working parent works crazy hours to make ends meet and isn't home much when the kids are awake. When two parents work there may be a better chance that both parents will have time with the children.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
yes, another one-off random justification.
I directly answered your questions about quality of care in a couple of posts.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:09 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
This. ^^^

And what about the fact that children need time with their fathers also? In some (not all) families where there is a SAHP, the working parent works crazy hours to make ends meet and isn't home much when the kids are awake. When two parents work there may be a better chance that both parents will have time with the children.
Yes exactly. When I was pregnant with one of my children, a male coworker was shocked when I indicated I'd be returning to work. He puffed his chest out and said he'd worked 3 jobs when his children were young so that mom could be home. My response was when did they see him? When did they see their parents interact? When did they have family time? Fathers are important as well.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:13 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
I think that there are so many different factors to weigh when it comes to the decision to stay home or work that it's way too difficult to say what's best because what's best won't be the same for every family. For our family, the best decision was for me to stay at home. Even if that meant we didn't have money in the budget for the luxury of a ymca gym membership.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Yes exactly. When I was pregnant with one of my children, a male coworker was shocked when I indicated I'd be returning to work. He puffed his chest out and said he'd worked 3 jobs when his children were young so that mom could be home. My response was when did they see him? When did they see their parents interact? When did they have family time? Fathers are important as well.
Agreed. And another permutation on this theme-I know nurses and other health care workers who work off shifts and weekends so that one parent can be home with the kid(s) most of the time. I never wanted to do that; I wanted to have some quality weekend time with my whole family. That meant day care while I worked (part time). Now in this situation, at least the kids are getting some "dad" time.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I think that there are so many different factors to weigh when it comes to the decision to stay home or work that it's way too difficult to say what's best because what's best won't be the same for every family. For our family, the best decision was for me to stay at home. Even if that meant we didn't have money in the budget for the luxury of a ymca gym membership.
Maybe you could cancel your internet to pay for it. Sorry, MissTerri, that was uncalled for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting