Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who was Wrong?
Manager 10 5.08%
Mother 67 34.01%
Couple 63 31.98%
Both Manager and Mother? 77 39.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 12:25 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,066,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I didn't get that from the article at all. I felt that given that the manager sided with the mom, it was likely that the baby was in fact not excessively disruptive. Some people seem to think that babies and kids aren't allowed to make any noise at all and get offended even when they are making a comparable amount of noise as some adults.

I think you may be projecting a personal experience without enough information to know whether or not it was similar to your own experience.
I agree. There's nothing in the article (which TBH is the typical garbage dailymail trope) that explicitly says the screams were literally non-stop. Not that they (the screams) would have to be non-stop to be a nuisance, of course. I'm certainly not saying I wouldn't (and have) walk out with my screaming child at some threshold point...but walk out after scream #1 from a 10-month old? Nope.

But many of us can quickly pick out in crowd the old prunes who are already 9/10ths ready to huff and puff about some perceived transgression. There's nothing you can do to de-fuse that situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 12:26 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,968,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
nice way to refer to a senior.....
50 years old is NOT considered "senior."

Old 08-17-2017, 12:27 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,055,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Well no you don't we each react differently....I wouldn't have given them a note....
Maybe the woman had MS, and was extremely sensitive to loud noise or some other kind of neurological disease?

We all have to consider others before we allow something like this to happen.

Nope. The article mentioned that the woman SLAMMED the note down on the table, then went back and sat down, and the other women laughed. IF she was so sensitive to loud noise...it's pretty foolish to go to a loud restaurant.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:28 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 22 days ago)

35,707 posts, read 18,065,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
OK. I googled "HOW DO YOU TRAIN A 6 MONTH OLD NOT TO CRY OR SCREAM". I found ONE sight, where a parent said that her 14 MONTH old child was a screamer, and what could be done about, and the answer was "Ignore it."

All the other sights were about sleep training babies.

I've failed.

But maybe, since you said they were out there, you could find some advice and post it?
Clearly, a 6 month old child can be trained not to scream, but at what cost?

And why? If you get a child who has learned not to cry out, how will you ever know if the child is hungry or uncomfortable?

1,173 posts, read 1,086,948 times
Wow. The world is full of idiots. Old ones even. I thought wisdom came with age?

Baby crying in plane; no escape unless you want to die and take everyone with you.
Baby crying( screaming/ hollering/shrieking) at restaurant; ask manager to move you or the noisy patrons.

Handle it much like you would when a certain loud jock thinks the entire restaurant should hear his opinions on the local team's football season.

What you dont do; Confront baby's parents/confront jock idiot.

Theres is no way that scenario ends well and anyone with a small amount of insight should know that.

Want a quiet meal senior citizen? I think those bland food serving buffet places have lots of seniors and almost no babies, and are so very quiet. Otherwise you are rolling the noise dice with a regular restaurant. This time its a baby, next time it may be an adult, or music, or falling plates.

Whether the parents are handling their child well or not, the behavior you should control is your own, otherwise you are no better than a shrieking baby.( Even and especially in a plane)

Grow up people.

581 posts, read 457,530 times
If a kid has a temporary moment of fussiness until the waiter brings the bread basket, meh, I wouldn't get my feathers ruffled. However if we're talking about continuous screaming or an all-out tantrum, then yes, the parents absolutely need to take their child outside.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:33 PM

125 posts, read 81,588 times
10 month olds don't belong in fancy restaurants

Shame on that mother for ruining that couple's meal

10 month old does what 10 month olds do

Don't kid yourself. The Mothers belly was more important than anyone, or anything, else.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:33 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,055,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Clearly, a 6 month old child can be trained not to scream, but at what cost?

And why? If you get a child who has learned not to cry out, how will you ever know if the child is hungry or uncomfortable?

TOTALLY agree with you.

That's one of the reasons why I would like Cremebrulee to point out these websites with the advice. Personally, I cannot imagine any way you can, in a healthy way, stop a crying or screaming 6 month old baby except to take care of its needs. Be it changing, feeding, etc. But that's not TRAINING a child not to cry...so if the advice is out there, I'd like to see it.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:34 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,368,039 times
When people say "take their child outside" what do they specifically mean? I'm genuinely curious.

You mean into a car? On the sidewalk? In the waiting area? Do you do this regardless of weather? What if you're eating alone, you just take everything and vacate the table?

Old 08-17-2017, 12:34 PM

125 posts, read 81,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I agree with you, but there are ways to start training a child at this age, at even 6 months old.....

He realizes when he screams he gets the attention he wants from mom

A baby sometimes cries a lot, b/c mom picks him up....kids learn at a very very young age.
A fancy restaurant is not infant training ground

Try McDonalds. At least people won't loose so much money having a lousy meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting