Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who was Wrong?
Manager 10 5.08%
Mother 67 34.01%
Couple 63 31.98%
Both Manager and Mother? 77 39.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 10:31 AM

75 posts, read 50,167 times

Advertisements

The new and not improved mother, should have taken him to the bathroom or outside and spanked him. She is a typical fool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 10:51 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,983,727 times
Just as an example of how it SHOULD be, yesterday we went to a family dinner at Outback Steakhouse. The youngest in the family is about five (no, I do not remember how old my youngest grand daughter is). Normally she is a quite chatty kid, and rather loud. At the restaurant, she was reasonably quiet.
Right across the aisle from us was a young family, daddy, Mommy, and three children ranging in age from barely old enough to hold a spoon to maybe 3. No screaming, no loud talking, no problems, just a nice young family having a night out.
At another table, there was a screamer. A very brief screamer. I do not know what the parent or grandparent did, but suddenly it was quiet over there. Just normal conversation, with no further screaming.

Along that line, I find it amazing that "Service Dogs" and "Emotional Support" dogs can be trained so that they act properly in public, yet somehow human children can't be so trained!
Are dogs REALLY smarter than our children?
Nah, that can't be. I was always a lousy dog trainer, but our kids (all five of them) knew how to act in public places!

Old 08-19-2017, 10:52 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,245,646 times
Well, only a third of people think that the couple who complained are in the wrong, with everyone else thinking that the mother, manager, or combo of the two are wrong.

Good to see decent people still outnumber the annoying ones.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:15 PM

318 posts, read 467,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Why are you bringing millennials into this? I'm a millennial myself in management position and I would never have done what that manager did. My aim in that position is that BOTH parties are paying customers that I want a neutral solution to so I would have found a quieter corner for the two ladies to sit and be moved to and kept monitoring the mom and asked her to leave only if the noise kept being excessive and she wasn't doing anything about it.
Yes Dissenter, I'm quite aware of who you are. Arlington... right in the mecca of Millennial land.

An observation - I saw the Mom's photo. And yes, in my opinion, this attitude of disrespect for others with total focus on self is a key trait of the Millennial generation.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:18 PM

102,225 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Just as an example of how it SHOULD be, yesterday we went to a family dinner at Outback Steakhouse. The youngest in the family is about five (no, I do not remember how old my youngest grand daughter is). Normally she is a quite chatty kid, and rather loud. At the restaurant, she was reasonably quiet.
Right across the aisle from us was a young family, daddy, Mommy, and three children ranging in age from barely old enough to hold a spoon to maybe 3. No screaming, no loud talking, no problems, just a nice young family having a night out.
At another table, there was a screamer. A very brief screamer. I do not know what the parent or grandparent did, but suddenly it was quiet over there. Just normal conversation, with no further screaming.

Along that line, I find it amazing that "Service Dogs" and "Emotional Support" dogs can be trained so that they act properly in public, yet somehow human children can't be so trained!
Are dogs REALLY smarter than our children?
Nah, that can't be. I was always a lousy dog trainer, but our kids (all five of them) knew how to act in public places!
Yes, it can be done. This line, that "oh, you can't do anything about that. They're exercising their lungs", (typically said of 2 or 3 yr. olds, in my experience, not babies), would be laughable if the result weren't so insufferable.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:21 PM

1,640 posts, read 795,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Well, only a third of people think that the couple who complained are in the wrong, with everyone else thinking that the mother, manager, or combo of the two are wrong.

Good to see decent people still outnumber the annoying ones.
I think it's more about typical Internet hand-wringing, which I bet will eventually be classified as a symptom of some diagnosis in the DSMVII or VII.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:26 PM

7,026 posts, read 4,903,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
IF you are out and you want quiet or you want to be away from kids or whatever, you don't pick that sort of restaurant.
Well, this is the problem. Because the parents who let their kids disrupt other diners at low end and noisy restaurants also go to quiet and high end restaurants and let their kids do the same thing. Those restaurants then ban children under the age of 12 or 18 or whatever, and parents scream discrimination. You can't win.

I bet if you started a thread asking how many members at CD went to an expensive quiet restaurant and were disturbed by a someone's screaming kid, half the people here would tell you it's happened to them.

Old 08-19-2017, 03:22 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,593,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I read this article, what's your take on this, who was in the wrong?

Texas Roadhouse diners leave spiteful note after Katie Leach's baby yelled | Daily Mail Online
She needs to take parenting classes. Then she needs to learn to be considerate of others.

First, she didn't get a note simply because she took her baby to a restaurant, which is what the article says. She got a note because the baby was SCREAMING for a long time, and she was unable to quieten him. Thereby ruining everyone else's dinner. The customers do have a right to expect peaceful enjoyment of their meal.

Second, the mother seems to think that her kid screaming loudly for an extended period of time is okay, because after all, he's not being mean. He's just screaming/yelling. That's a ridiculous way to think of a screaming kid. Screaming is screaming.

This was the mother's fault. And the manager should have asked her to take the child outside for a while to try and quieten him.

If they were in a movie theater, she would've been asked to leave by management.

Be considerate of others, and there will be no problems. If your kid screams in restaurants, then maybe you can't go to restaurants until he's over that phase, at least when others are there.

But if I were her, I'd take a parenting class to learn how to quieten her child. Surely there's a better way than just accepting that "he does that...but he's not being mean or anything."

In 12 years, when her kid is older, she will agree that it's the mother's fault and responsibility, since it will be HER that is having to listen to a screaming kid at the table next to her.

Note: This was represented to be a kid that was screaming/yelling for an extended period of time, w/the mother not even considering the effect on others.

Old 08-19-2017, 03:33 PM

10,909 posts, read 7,406,054 times
It's not just kids that make too much noise in restaurants. We were at a rather nice restaurant, but the group at the table next to us were talking, laughing, yelling LOUDLY. Not just in a happy, friendly way, more in a "I must be heard by all" way.

We asked the waitress to move us, but the place was full. She wouldn't ask the others to quiet down. We wound up taking our food to go, and never going back there.

Old 08-19-2017, 03:34 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,245,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I bet if you started a thread asking how many members at CD went to an expensive quiet restaurant and were disturbed by a someone's screaming kid, half the people here would tell you it's happened to them.
Yep.

It's happened to us several times at casual restaurants, but only once or twice at high end places, and both times, the server and then management asked the people to leave. The last time it happened was at a place called Del Frisco's in Dallas. It was during the weekend of Valentine's Day no less, back in 2015. So you had all these people with reservations for a romantic dinner... and then these two utterly clueless people brought an 18 month/2 yr old with them.

They got seated a few tables over from us, the kid started acting up, and pretty soon the entire dining room was staring daggers at them. Not once did they pick their kid up and try to take him outside or to the bathroom to calm him down. After about 5 minutes of it, one of the servers told them they would need to quiet down their child if they wished to remain. Another 5 minutes went by and the manager came over with their food boxed up, said it was on the house, but they needed to leave.

After they left he went around to each table in the area apologizing and we got a dessert comped. Everyone was so happy though that the child and his parents were gone that I'm sure they more than made up for it by ordering another bottle of wine, appetizers, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting