Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who was Wrong?
Manager 10 5.08%
Mother 67 34.01%
Couple 63 31.98%
Both Manager and Mother? 77 39.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 07:11 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbogyrl View Post
The little momma who received the note: self centered typical millennial, thinking her wonder child should be able to do as he pleases, with no regard for others.

Further compounds it when she goes boohooing to the manager, who is also probably a millennial. Manager was a total J-Azz by telling that couple who wrote the note to leave. That couple should contact the owner of that restaurant and get that manager fired! I would. That self centered B____ should have apologized to those people, not ran boohooing to the manager like the big fat baby she is. A baby with a baby here! Neither one can behave properly.

We do not sit near children when going out for a quiet peaceful dinner...I've gotten up after drinks were ordered and moved or left, if children are seated nearby. Who wants to endure a screaming brat after working all day and paying to eat at a restaurant? UGH.

Parents of young children... quit thinking about yourselves for 10 minutes. One day you too will be an older couple and YOU won't want to hear someone else's brat yelling either.
Why are you bringing millennials into this? I'm a millennial myself in management position and I would never have done what that manager did. My aim in that position is that BOTH parties are paying customers that I want a neutral solution to so I would have found a quieter corner for the two ladies to sit and be moved to and kept monitoring the mom and asked her to leave only if the noise kept being excessive and she wasn't doing anything about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 08:20 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Your response is kind of weird, actually. Why is it that some humans are so rejecting of juvenile humans? Other animals aren't. Great apes, with very complicated social structures are completely lenient when it comes to the behavior of juveniles. The highest ranking male will peacefully endure the lowest ranking juveniles misbehavior. Because, yeah, that's a little one of us. Even in the bird world, adults will come defend juveniles in their species they don't even know, if they hear their cries for help.

Why are humans so weird about this? Why are we so intolerant of juvenile behavior?

I'm in my mid-50's, and unless a kid is kicking me in the shins, I'm okay with their behavior. Why are so many others my age so intolerant?
It's not the kids behavior that disturbs us, it's the knuckle head parents of the kids. You are right about great apes social structure but I'm sorry while the alpha male will chill with the kiddies, Mama apes will straighten up their kiddos.

that's all we are asking. I'm all for kids socializing with adults, that's truly how they learn proper behavior BUT they have to be taught. you let your kid scream in a restaurant, movie, church and don't correct him what happens??

I'm not saying whale on the kid or spank him but take him outside, tell him that screaming is NOT cool and reward him if he has good behavior.

sorry human children do not get to run amok like park apes.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:25 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Both are wrong

The older couple should understand that you're in public. Things you don't like are gonna happen. Rude people, screaming kids, Ahole drivers. etc.

The parents should understand that not everyone wants to hear their bundle of joy. When your kid is screaming you take them outside quiet them down. Granted this is it's 10 month old. It's basically a puppy in a fat little human shape. They look like new parents.
Christ it's a 10 month old. Sure it's annoying having a screaming back around especially if you're not used to it. Parents should try and teach their kids to behave respectfully in public. Adults should be behaving respectfully in public too. Neither of these things happen or happen at the same time when they do.

I go out for a meal, I just understand that there will be things that may annoy me. I learned not to let small **** bother me. And when you get down to it it's mostly small **** people lose their minds over.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:52 AM

11,798 posts, read 12,038,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Couldn't agree more. At the risk of sounding like a complete curmudgeon (or I suppose it was my parents who were the curmudgeons), as kids, my siblings and I weren't allowed to scream anywhere. It didn't matter if we were in our own back yard, at a playground, or a fast food place, we were still expected to behave decently. That didn't mean we couldn't have fun, or call loudly to someone briefly, etc, but over the top ongoing noise, that could have been an annoyance to others, no way.
If i wasn't an only child, I'd ask if you're my sister.

I was raised the same way, although I wasn't a loud child anyway. There was a time where there was no such thing as the terms indoor/outdoor voices. You didn't get to be loud and obnoxious simply because you were outside.

Children need to be taught to sit at a table and have table manners. If that isn't demonstrated at home, a child isn't going to magically know how to behave in a restaurant. When i was younger, i dont recall screaming as much as kids running around, or hanging over the backs of booths or bouncing on the cushions in the booth. My mother, the teacher, haaaaaated that and would turn around and give the kid the death stare. That was also back in the day where a look could stop a kid in his tracks. That doesn't seem to have an effect these days.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:55 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,057,497 times
The child in question is 10 months old.

Just putting that out there, as more and more anecdotes pile up about much older children and random situations vastly different than the actual story (which, frankly, is probably BS anyway).

Old 08-19-2017, 09:15 AM

81 posts, read 64,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
Really folks?

Look at these reviews...
"The music in the restaurant was so loud, we couldn't hear the waitperson ask for our order. We asked - no, begged - that the music be turned down a bit. The reply was "We're getting ready to dance!" Even after the dance was over, the music was so loud, it really negatively impacted our meal.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...Illinois.html#

This place clearly has a reputation. I never go to a restaurant without checking out reviews. It's one of the benefits of the Internet.
I didn't have to, since I was stuck there once with someone who'd been told it was good. (Imagine that.) A baby's shrieks don't help one bit. A bulldozer, might.

The problem is, some parents believe their own children are special to everyone else. One's the same as the next, to me, and a loud one is just -- well repulsive is too strong a word, but there's nothing appealing about one. I actually like children, but in THEIR place, not in mine. And their parents aren't special for having had them.

Maybe they ought to all stay home and enjoy one another's "special" appeal.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyne View Post
I didn't have to, since I was stuck there once with someone who'd been told it was good. (Imagine that.) A baby's shrieks don't help one bit. A bulldozer, might.

The problem is, some parents believe their own children are special to everyone else. One's the same as the next, to me, and a loud one is just -- well repulsive is too strong a word, but there's nothing appealing about one. I actually like children, but in THEIR place, not in mine. And their parents aren't special for having had them.

Maybe they ought to all stay home and enjoy one another's "special" appeal.
You own the restaurant?

Old 08-19-2017, 09:23 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,512 times
IF you are out and you want quiet or you want to be away from kids or whatever, you don't pick that sort of restaurant. If you choose to go to a family friendly restaurant and get so annoyed by a baby that you let it ruin your meal and you actually do that to the parent, YOU are the selfish, entitled one. They could have asked for a different table. They could have behaved like adults, but they acted like petulant, spoiled brats. They didn't have the maturity to not let a 10 month old baby "ruin" their meal. Incredibly self absorbed, narcissistic, drama queen behavior.Adults complaining about babies...GROW UP!

If the parents of the baby want to go out to eat with their baby (and I did it all the time with my 3), they chose wisely. They picked a loud, family friendly place. There may have been more they could have done and maybe they were mildly selfish to think he wasn't bothering ANYONE. But they were far less selfish than the complainers. Parenting is hard. Everyone makes mistakes. If letting the BABY be loudly happy in a loud family restaurant was a mistake, then it seems to be a forgivable one. But I don't really think it was a big deal at all, even if I would have been the type to take my baby outside for a walk to get the loudness out of his system.

DH and I went out to date night at a very expensive restaurant and had the most annoying couple next to us. They threw a huge fit because the restaurant didn't have a smoking section. They were way worse behaved than any loud baby or child. And yet, somehow, we didn't let them ruin our meal. Because we are adults who know how to move on. We just laughed about their ridiculousness and moved on.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:27 AM

318 posts, read 467,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Your response is kind of weird, actually. Why is it that some humans are so rejecting of juvenile humans? Other animals aren't. Great apes, with very complicated social structures are completely lenient when it comes to the behavior of juveniles. The highest ranking male will peacefully endure the lowest ranking juveniles misbehavior. Because, yeah, that's a little one of us. Even in the bird world, adults will come defend juveniles in their species they don't even know, if they hear their cries for help.

Why are humans so weird about this? Why are we so intolerant of juvenile behavior?

I'm in my mid-50's, and unless a kid is kicking me in the shins, I'm okay with their behavior. Why are so many others my age so intolerant?
A 10 month old child who is in the "screaming" phase does NOT belong in a restaurant.

The couple that left that note... that might have been the only night out to dinner they could afford in a month, and that self centered mother-child and her screaming brat ruined it for them. Nice.

Self centered parents need to keep their child at home and EAT AT HOME until their child can learn to be well behaved. Been there done that, don't want to be see/hear any other kids in screaming phase! Why should I have to be tolerant of a brat who isn't even a family member? Not happening.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbogyrl View Post
A 10 month old child who is in the "screaming" phase does NOT belong in a restaurant.

The couple that left that note... that might have been the only night out to dinner they could afford in a month, and that self centered mother-child and her screaming brat ruined it for them. Nice.

Self centered parents need to keep their child at home and EAT AT HOME until their child can learn to be well behaved. Been there done that, don't want to be see/hear any other kids in screaming phase! Why should I have to be tolerant of a brat who isn't even a family member? Not happening.
Decaf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting